1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

collapsed vein from givin blood, how to treat?

Discussion in 'Health' started by fireturk41, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 [OP] I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    okay, a week and a half ago i went with my gf to give blood, ever since i had a bruise on my arm that kept getting darker and bigger. now it runs the lenght of my arm and the whole under side and is tender to the touch, i think it is a collapsed vein, i am going to the doc. tomorrow but am curious as to how to treat it and how to prevent it next time i give blood, im also going to try to find a better person to stick me, that lady was a bee with an itch, she didnt even clean off my arm after they sucked the blood outta me, then told me i had to leave the little rehabilitation corner because she thought i was drinking too much and tryin to cut class (i brought my own 2 liters of gatorade for the day lol)

any advise on how help with it?

2. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    Menametony

Menametony Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 DC Offroad
    Flow Master 40 Series, TRD CAI, Kings 2.5 remote res front and back, All Pro Front bumper, All Pro Skid Plate, PIAA 4" 510 XT SMR, TC UCA's, 265/75/16 WildPeak AT3 on ATX Artillery, LightForce 240 Blitz HID's, WeatherTech Vents and FloorMats, Cobra 19 CB & PA, Maglite mod both driver and passenger, safari snorkel, TRD supercharger, warn 10k winch, PRINSU CabRack, Cali Raised 42" Light Bar, OEM bed mat, softtopper. WeatherTech Mudflaps On order dissent bed rack and retrofits.
    not exactly sure.. but that happens alot in the navy.. usually get them missing the vein, hope it gets better

3. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    yeah, i have a freaking pipeline in my right arm, thats the arm that everyone sticks, but she chose the freakin left, i just aint ever had it react like this before, they usually heal in a few days

4. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    CJH9980

CJH9980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Shreveport, LA/Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD PRO
    Wescott lift Wescott rock sliders Prinsu Cabrack SpartanXcustoms skewp light Demon Hook front recovery point Diamondback SD (just shipped) N2 Designs Remote Start A few meso goodies
    They blew your vein, not much to do besides wait it out. Compression would have helped a bit at the time, but theres nothing you can do at this point.

5. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    If it is you could have Phlebitis... Might just want to get it checked to be safe. A bruise should not spread the lenght of the arm from an IV stick. Unless you have low iron count, or are are sickle cell amemic.

6. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    my iron was decent, they require i think either 12 or 12.5, i had almost 15.5 and im not anemic, so idk, no real temp differance though

7. Apr 26, 2010 at 4:22 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yup- I'e had a few collapse on me- Just gotta let it heal.

8. Apr 26, 2010 at 4:27 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    Go to the doctor....or the hospital to see a doctor....

9. Apr 26, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    thai fyter

thai fyter Well-Known Member

Member:
    You don't need a doc. Just like a previous person said, they blew your vein. Probably when they started the actual IV they went through both walls of the vein at least once (probably multiple times if it took her several tries). "Normally" only minimal bruising will occur but with donation you are actively pumping your muscles in the forearm to express the blood at a faster rate. Thus, if you had a "leaky" vein, for lack of a better term, during the donation process you would have accumulated a lot more extracellular or interstitial blood than normal in and around the IV site. So now you have a bunch of pooled blood under the skin and since gravity works, it pulls that blood down your arm which is why you are seeing that bruising pattern develop. Unfortunately you have to just wait it out. So make up a cool story and enjoy your bruise!

10. Apr 26, 2010 at 5:10 AM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    take a salt pill and walk it off.

11. Apr 26, 2010 at 5:23 AM
    Nikwanchoo

Nikwanchoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4 DC SB
    It sounds more like a hematoma where some blood has spilled out of your vein and migrated around. It should go away after a few weeks if not a month. A collapsing vein is something else and is caused by chronic needle injections, so unless you give blood fanatically, or you are a junkie, i wouldnt worry about it. just tell people its a bruise from a fight and forgo the doctor visit unless you are in lots of pain.

Products Discussed in

To Top