1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Colorado Advice

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Harvo, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Feb 11, 2018 at 7:16 AM
    Harvo

Harvo [OP] Hanging On !!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Offroad DCSB
    SpiderTrax, RCI Sliders, Warn bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Ridge Grapplers...
    I've been there off pavement a bunch (with groups) when I was younger. We have done the Alpine Loop, Engineer, Imogene, Animas, Tin Cup, Alpine Tunnel, Stony Pass, Sand Dunes, Scofield Pass, and several other routes that I can't recall the names of right now.

We are going back this Summer alone (One vehicle). I don't have any preferences as my 13 year old son has never seen any of it. Now that I'm older though... I tend to worry a little more about being way out there alone. Granted... most of those routes I mentioned see a good bit of traffic in the summer.

I like Stony Pass because not many people travel it, it's not terribly hazardous, and it's beautiful. That is on our list. Aside from the ones I mentioned above, can anyone recommend some routes that are not packed with JKUs in the summer, that can be relatively safely traversed with a single capable vehicle? Mining relics and big views are a plus!

Thanks

2. Feb 11, 2018 at 12:08 PM
    Wishbone Runner

Wishbone Runner Because 4R

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    When in the summer? Lots of the passes won’t open until mid to late July.

3. Feb 11, 2018 at 1:26 PM
    Harvo

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Offroad DCSB
    First 2 weeks in July. I know it's iffy then. Out of about 10 years going at that same time, Imogene has only been open 3 of those. We'll have a plan a and plan b by then.

Just wanting some different perspectives. Thanks

4. Feb 24, 2018 at 9:50 PM
    wookie73

wookie73 Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma
    Just starting my Overland rig
    I live in Durango and we are just now getting winter here so your time frame might work out well. I would recommend engineer pass from silverton to ouray. It's sees a lot like of traffic, but it might be one of the best for scenery. I like to do Stoney from silverton to lake city. Then lake city to engineer into Ouray. Those are not hard core and you get to see some awesome country. When you do Stoney make the side trip to kite lake, and also regan lake (camped here twice and had the place to my self after about 5). Just over the top of engineer (on the Ouray side) there are some nice mine ruins and a couple of good camp spots above treeline. If you are camping that whole loop can be broken into some nice shorter sections with camping at a number of lakes and then a finish in Ouray hot springs.

Naveronski likes this.
  5. Feb 24, 2018 at 10:50 PM
    Harvo

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Offroad DCSB
    Thanks. If I recall, camping is ok anywhere in the back country unless designated otherwise correct?

6. Feb 25, 2018 at 4:19 AM
    wookie73

wookie73 Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma
    Just starting my Overland rig
    That's correct. Dispersed camping throughout that whole section. In Ouray the camping gets a little trickier just became se of the terrain but you can usually find something.

Products Discussed in

To Top