1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Combining stock equipment with new head unit?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by fhlashsf, May 9, 2010.

1. May 9, 2010 at 3:23 PM
    fhlashsf

fhlashsf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Danville, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Off Road Double Cab 4x4
    Weathertechs, Avid bolt-on sliders and light bar, 17" ATX Thug wheels, BF Goodrich AT 285/70/17 tires, Icom 2820 Dstar radio, OME 3" lift, color matched rear bumper and Grillecraft grille, Wet Okole seat covers, ARM bed extender, black badges, Sockmonkey decals, HID headlight and foglights, TRD cat back exhaust, TRD CAI, URD MAF calibrator, Kenwood 6960 HU, Image Dynamic front and back speakers, ARC Audio Sub in Mr. Marv custom sub box and amp rack, Tuffy security box for bed.
    I'll start by saying I don't know much of anything about car audio equipment. I have a 2010 Tacoma with JBL and XM.

In general (cause I haven't picked a new head unit, but am thinking about
    something like a Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT) would my current XM components, bluetooth mic (located on rearview mirror) and backup camera work with a new head unit? Or would I need to buy all new components?

2. May 9, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    you would have to buy new components. in most cases they are cheap. i think i paid around 60 bucks for sirius radio module on my alpine unit

3. May 10, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    XM and BT won't work...but the camera may...

4. May 10, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Camera should work, mine hooked in.

My Kenwood DNX6140 has bluetooth built in, may want to look for one with intregated Bluetooth.

As for XM, I'm sure you will have to buy the piece specific to your HU

5. May 10, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    fhlashsf

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Danville, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertechs, Avid bolt-on sliders and light bar, 17" ATX Thug wheels, BF Goodrich AT 285/70/17 tires, Icom 2820 Dstar radio, OME 3" lift, color matched rear bumper and Grillecraft grille, Wet Okole seat covers, ARM bed extender, black badges, Sockmonkey decals, HID headlight and foglights, TRD cat back exhaust, TRD CAI, URD MAF calibrator, Kenwood 6960 HU, Image Dynamic front and back speakers, ARC Audio Sub in Mr. Marv custom sub box and amp rack, Tuffy security box for bed.
    thanks...I will buy one with bluetooth built in...but wanted to know if the mic that is built into the rear view mirror can be plugged into another head unit....I'm sure whatever I end up getting I'll spend more money than I wanted to...thanks all!

6. May 10, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Only the camera can be used, be prepared to buy everything else as the aftermarket won't work with the stock.

7. May 22, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    fhlashsf

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Danville, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks folks...I bought a Kenwood 6960 HU (really wanted Garmin nav)...Is their an adapter to make the backup camera appear on both the new head unit and the rearview mirror or is it one or the other? Also, the unit I bought has two A/V in ports, one will be used for my iPhone and I will use one for XM....I've never had HD radio and would like to try that too...is their a device that would let you add another AV source and toggle between the two? Also, will the stock satellite antenna work---or will I need an adapter---or just a new one?

Thanks for the help...like I said in the original post I really don't know much about this stuff..

Products Discussed in

To Top