1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Comments Post 3" Lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by L_Jackson, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Nov 2, 2007 at 9:35 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    Hey guys,
    here are my thoughts after having my lift about a week.

The ride is kinda rough. it is either due to the AAL or the tires, not the front spacer.... had the front spacers in and drove a few days before getting new tires or the AAL and the ride was fine.

got new tires on a Friday ( no allignment, had to wait til Monday) did the AAL on sunday, allignment on monday....

i didnt want to kill my new tires, so i didn't drive much over the weekend, but the little driving i did (maybe 40 miles) i did not notice a rough ride, after my allignment i did....

Soooooo, my thoughts on the AAL???? don't get one.... do the spacer block.... the guy that helped me said that is what i should have done, it would have left my ride quality alone.... i forget why toytec recomended the aal over the spcaers.....

Tires..... i love my tires, they look great... a little road noise, but not enough not to get them again.

Allignment, the shop said my truck could not be properly, i dont know the diff in camber and all that crap, but anyway, he said the tires were straight, and would wear evenly, that part of the allignment was ok, but it may drift or shake... said he did not have enough room to adjust anymore to get in spec.

does not shake, but it does drift a little, but more than that i have noticed loose steering i think, I'll hit a bump in the road or something and it seams to go of course some, not really happy about that.

i do like it tho.... i went by the dealership today and got next to a stock prerunner and took a comparison....

SBS1.jpg
    SBS2.jpg
    SBS3.jpg

2. Nov 2, 2007 at 9:52 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    The lift looks great! I'm looking to do a 3" on mine as well (also a black 07 access cab).

3. Nov 3, 2007 at 7:54 AM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    I wonder if they recommended the 3" lift because it costs about 150 more than the 2.5" bushings? The site I was looking at said those 2.5" bushings don't affect the ride quality as well, so guess it must be true.

Your truck still looks great though.

After reading this, I think when I get my Tacoma, I'm just going to run the 2.5" bushings up front and do nothing in the back, with 30x11.5" Swamper Thornbirds on a 8" Pro Comp, with 4.0" back space. The sidewall will stick out 2" past the fender but since the tire Dia. is basically the same as stock, it should clear ok.

On the other hand I keep changing my mid between this and another option about 10 times an hour

That size Thornbird is 12" wide overall, which I think would look sweet.

Man I wish my car was paid off right now!!!

By the way I will be getting a regular cab, 4 banger. I notice the 08's are available in white, hope the 09's will be available in white too, since they probably won't have any leftover 08's in Feb '09. Can't believe the 07's only came in red, black and blue. Horrible colors for a 4x4 to keep clean and scratches from forming.

4. Nov 3, 2007 at 9:03 AM
    allrsdup

allrsdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2018 dcsb trd offroad 4x4 Inferno
    i am shocked a the way it looks next to a stock truck. looks more then 3" actually. very nice. any rubbing issue what size tires?

5. Nov 3, 2007 at 10:04 AM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    the 2,5 bushings require you to take the struts apart (compress spring ) the its like a 3 hr process to do the lift... i like ez-lift from ebay i have bought 3 of their kits..1hr installs on ground working in my drive way.... BTW i have one of their kits on the way to me right now (front lift only) they use the add-a-leafs because if you use a block in the rear you can get wheel hop which can break stuff...they are basically trying to cover themselves by not giving you a lift that can damage your truck, now that said I have used blocks/aal/replacement springs/and finally shackles...obviously best would be replacment springs...but $$$$$ the best for me is the shackles...if you look at your springs from the factory they are kinda flat and tip up to the rear all the longer shackle does is make them sit flat..i think my truck rides better with them on....they are daystar shackles..you will have to check if they make them for 2nd gens but I bet they do. hope this helps

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Nov 5, 2007 at 10:36 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Posts like this scare me. Makes me nervous about adding a lift in the future...

7. Nov 5, 2007 at 10:50 AM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    i know i want to do a 3" lift or spacers for sure, i'm just not positive about what i want to use! procomp makes aluminum spaces for the front and also poly spacers, dont know what the difference in ride quality would be. after i get the tsb done it should sit plenty high enough in the back, so all i need is the front done. what route should i go in terms of leveling out the front as much as i can? i only have 2wd so i dont need to worry about the front diff being misaligned

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Nov 7, 2007 at 10:32 AM
    Big Guns

Big Guns Well-Known Member

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 4.0L Indigo Blue
    Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, Black Headlight Mod, DO Rock Sliders
    So im confused now... I am looking at the 3" toytec lift as well, but which hsould i opt for? the AAL or the block? I had heard horror stories about blocks lessening the life of leafs and causing major damage? What are your guys thoughts?

9. Nov 7, 2007 at 10:51 AM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    i did the aal and i can say it is a rougher ride than i hoped for. i think the blocks keep the quality of the ride, but i don't know the problems with them.

10. Nov 7, 2007 at 9:21 PM
    Justin626

Justin626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Sport DC Super White
    Toytec 3" w/ AAL, N-Fab Nerf Bars, Lightforce 170mm Strikers, N-Fab Light Bar, Metra Ipod Adapter, Scosche Auto Start
    I am also getting the TSB done soon and so if I lift the back more, I really have no choice but to go with blocks in the back. AFAIK, stiffening the rear suspension decreases the chance for axle wrap and wheel hop. I really don't understand how adding blocks can cause axle wrap, especially after the suspension TSB is done. Can someone please explain this to me?

11. Nov 8, 2007 at 8:46 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm still wondering if you need to do anything to the rear if you are getting a 3" lift and have the TSB done. The toytec lift comes with an extra leaf, making the original tacoma a 4 leaf. Now if you already have a 4th leaf installed to you even need an AAL or block with your lift? nobody seems to have a good answer to this question yet

12. Nov 8, 2007 at 10:00 AM
    Delrivpilot

Delrivpilot Red Sox Nation

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    Westin Runnin Bars, Toytec 2" spacers, TSB suspension, Cooper Discoverer ST's 265/75/16. Pionner Avic F700Bt, Wet Okole seats,spidertrax spacers
    FYI. I bought the Toytec 3" lift and went back and forth about putting it in. I returned it and bought the 2" spacers. I had the TSB suspension done last week and had the dealer put in the spacers for $144 extra. I also upgraded tires to 265/75/16's. It changed the whole look and feel of my truck. I do notice that the ride is a bit rougher now, but nothing too harsh. The tires with the spacers and the TSB lifted my rig about 2.5". I am very happy with the results. Everybody has different expectations.

13. Nov 8, 2007 at 10:13 AM
    2003greenbean

2003greenbean Carolina Alliance Costal Div

Member:
    socaste,sc
    Vehicle:
    03 trd
    cold air intake, step bars, custom grill, 3in lift,12 in audiobahn sub, 285/75/16 procomp tires, 20% tint,
    aal is the way to go yes it road hard at first now its better i have seen blocks break and its not good i have the alum spacer in the front from pro comp no prob would do this set up again

14. Nov 8, 2007 at 10:58 AM
    Justin626

Justin626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Sport DC Super White
    Toytec 3" w/ AAL, N-Fab Nerf Bars, Lightforce 170mm Strikers, N-Fab Light Bar, Metra Ipod Adapter, Scosche Auto Start
    After having the TSB done, I know I will not be going with a 5th leaf. Apparently the ride is rough enough as it is with the Alcan AAL from Toytec, which seems to be stiffer than the one from the TSB.

From what I've read the Alcan raises the back 2", where the TSB only raises it around 1"-1.25". So from what I can tell (with the TSB + the block from the kit) the height difference from front to back should stay about the same, just 3" higher all around.

Still wondering about axle wrap. I am going to call Toytec to get their impression on the whole thing.:confused:

15. Nov 8, 2007 at 11:31 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    is 265/75/16 32 or 33 inch? any problems with rubbing?

Products Discussed in

To Top