1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Common steering issue solved but now how do I fix it?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by harris, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Aug 19, 2009 at 1:58 AM
    harris

harris [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    HARRIS
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma d-cab 4x4
    I've read some posts about later model Tacomas have this issue--loose steering. I own a 95.5 4x4 tacoma and at 300,000 miles the steering is still tight. I just bought an 04 Tacoma d-cab 4x4 with 50,000 miles and the thing has a lot of steering slop. I crawled under it, looking around for a cause and noticed a lot of shift in the rack bushings--everything else out to the tires was tight. I replaced them with Energy Suspension bushings and the problem still exists. Further digging led me to believe that it was an issue above the rack and I found the problem, or at least isolated the play--it is totally in the column--I'm guessing in the tilt mechanism. In fact, if I grab onto the exposed section of shaft (inside the cab at the firewall on the steeringwheel side of the coupler joint) with channel locks, the wheel can be moved about a half an inch before it tries to rotate the channel locks. Before I start tearing into this, does anyone have any advice, or know where I can find a parts schematic. It seems like a common issue--I'm just hoping it doesn't require a complete column replacement (if it is a self contained, non-re-buildable unit).
    Update: I found a rough IPC picture and it would seem that the only thing that could cause the issue is play in the tilt-steering knuckle joint, which was my first guess without seeing a pic. Is this just poor MFGing--sloppy from the factory, meaning a new unit might be just as sloppy?

To Top