1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

componet speaker question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by RDAY, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Aug 30, 2009 at 7:18 AM
    RDAY

RDAY [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    how do u run componet speakers with an amp if u get a sub and a big amp can u run them all of the same amp. also does it make a diff between 2 way or 4way? and how do I get ahold of mr marv for the mounts?

2. Aug 30, 2009 at 7:20 AM
    RDAY

RDAY [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    also what sixe do I need a set of 6.5 and a set of 6x9 right? i have an access cab.
    Thanks guys

3. Aug 30, 2009 at 7:30 AM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    You can send Marv a PM on here or www.mrmarv.com You will be able to run the whole system off of one amp IF you buy a 5 or 6 channel, problem you'll face though is finding one small enough to fit. The only one that comes to mind and I will be swaping out my 3 amps for it very soon is the Zed Audio Leviathan.... www.zedaudiocorp.com OOPS why did I forget about the Alpine PDX5, that would be a good amp as well. (the ZED will spank the Alpine all the way back to mommy though) Yes on the 6.5's and 6x9's, although you can do 2 pairs of 6.5's when Marv makes your baffles. PM me if you need any other help!

4. Aug 30, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    ^^ What's up Aubrey! I still need to come by one of these days :eek: and check out your Tacoma.

I have the Alpine PDX5 amp. Great little amp for what I am using it for. The main reason I went with it was for the size (10" x 9"), power output and it fit perfect behind my seats with the space I have.

SubBoxFullShot_40249873742e35a09e01ffa36ee4fc1127f7baa4.jpg

5. Aug 31, 2009 at 1:26 AM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    i suppose you could buy a 6 channel amp and run everything off of it, but imo it would be better to get a 4 channel amp to run the truck speakers and get a class d amp for the sub

6. Aug 31, 2009 at 9:35 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    You can also get a 4 channel and bridge one for the sub while running the front w/ a couple channels. Better front sound staging and just run the rear speakers off the deck power or invest into a JL Audio HD900/5.

7. Aug 31, 2009 at 3:44 PM
    atsaubrey

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire

I'll agree with this, but honestly believe the Zed Amp is the way to go. It is crazy flexible, HUGE amonts of power and is "tiny" in size. If you run out of options with this amp in the next 10yrs, it will be because we are not on the road but in space travel.

8. Sep 1, 2009 at 6:39 AM
    ABJ

ABJ Member

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Sport
    Ionic Running Boards
    Hey guys. Just joined the site last week. What a great resource!

Just got my new '09 Taco Double Cab Sport a couple of weeks ago, and immediately began ordering everything for a decent audio upgrade, including speaker adapters from Mr. Marv. What a knowledgeable, helpful, and super-nice guy! I personally prefer the all-around soundstage, and am going with 4- 6 1/2" speakers. I'll spare you all the details in order to stay relavent to this thread, but one of the major components I'll be using is the Alpine PDX-5. I'm not as fanatical as some of you as far as car audio goes, and have been out of the game for awhile. But based on my research over the past several weeks, the Alpine PDX-5 is tough to beat for what I'm trying to accomplish. Your talking about 600 watts RMS out of something roughly the size of an 8x10 photo! And that's just the minimum specs Alpine uses to pimp it. They all come with a birth sheet, and always test out with substantially more power than is advertised. Mine actually tested out at 107x4 and 407x1 (albeit at 14.4v). Oh, and you can get it for a really great price on Ebay too. For me, it makes the most sense. I have shopped extensively for the best prices on all my components, and will only have about $1300 in my entire system.....quite a bargain for what I will have I think. However, as with anything, it depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. I plan to begin the install this weekend if time permits and may eventually post some pics for those who are interested. Hope the Alpine doesn't dissappoint me after I've talked it up so much!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Sep 1, 2009 at 7:26 AM
    atsaubrey

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    I'll agree with the PDX5 being a nice amp. For you guys that are not aware of Zed Audio. Stephen Mantz (owner of ZED) is the guy that used to build all of the Lanzar, HiFonics, Planet Audio, Nakamichi, Clarion, Crunch, Earthquake, USAccoustics...........and a TON more. I have to mention that he built them when they ALL were top notch companies with outstanding performance, NOT where some of them are today. Zed built "old school" amps are still well prized and can bring a large price tag yet to this day. The Leviathan is a 150wrms x 6 channel amp that does 300wrms x6 channels @ 2ohms in a package of about 16"x10"x2" :eek: This amplifier can be run in 6 channel, 5 channel, 4 channel, or even 3 channel mode. So for the original poster, you'd have a 600wrms substage, and 150wrms on each component....pretty tasty to me. Here is the kicker, retail is $600! Thats is ultimately 1800wrms in a tiny package that can control the entire vehicle and you'd never run out of options with it. I have talked to Stephen extensivley about these new amps and he has assured me these will be producing roughly 225wrms per channel @4 ohms in the real world! :eek::eek::eek:

I don not work for Zed, I cant say I am a "friend" of Stephen although we have been talking quite abit lately. I do not sell Zed and I dont make a dime talking about his products. I am just a car audio enthusiest and love what I see with his new amps and can't wait to get one in my own truck!

I think you guys that might be thinking of installing a stereo or upgrading your current one, you'd be leaving alot on the table by not looking into the Leviathan or the Kronos. (you'll notice the names of his amps are based on ancient gods, remind anyone of HiFonics? ;) )

Products Discussed in

To Top