1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Composite Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DevL, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Apr 23, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I dont know much about composite leaf springs but everything I read sounds like this would be the way to go. No sag, no corrosion, longer life due greater resistance to stress, 70% weight reduction, less friction/noise, smoother ride... so why do we not all run composite leaf springs in the rear? Why is this not the big ticket item for custom leaf packs for the rear? What am I missing?

2. Apr 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    From what I read they are more linear and less progressive. They flex fine and are standard on some GM cars, trucks, vans... in a low end form. Makers claim you get a linear coil spring type ride and it eliminates all the negatives with leaf springs. Soooo... I am wondering why this is not a HUGE market for desert guys. I understand why its not so great for load carrying but if that was not anted the Alcan and Deaver non overload leaves would not be as popular as they are.

3. Apr 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    kristonex

kristonex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland soon to be Denver
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Access 4x4
    Debadged tailgate - Limo tinted windows - Sockmonkey bed decals - Fully custom upgraded stereo 9 speakers w/custom built subwoofer box 1200 watts total power - swapped white and blue LED gauges - integrated backup camera - removed front mud flaps - All interior lights swapped with LEDS
    They are using these on some pretty high end high performance rides now. Off the top of my head I know the new CTS-V uses a single leaf composite for rear suspension. Corevettes also have been using them for a while now.

Products Discussed in

To Top