1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Compression Adjuster (CDC/DSC/CD/Clickers) Experience/Reviews?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DVexile, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Mar 5, 2015 at 1:20 PM
    DVexile

DVexile [OP] Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    I'm looking for people's experience with compression adjusters on shocks, like CDC from ICON or CD and DSC from Fox or the Adjuster from King. I'm trying to figure out if I want to go this route or not. Would love to hear from anyone that owns them or has tried them.

Biggest questions:

• Do you personally find them useful?
    • Do you adjust them routinely (e.g. based on terrain) or did you just dial them in once?
    • If you dialed them once did you just end up at hardest, softest or the default position? Or did you actually fine tune?
    • Do you find a noticeable difference between the softest and hardest settings?
    • What is your application (i.e. what kind of driving do you do)?
    I understand these effectively change the compression stroke and are velocity rather than position dependent and thus not the same as a bypass shock.

As is typical I've done a lot of searching and now seem more confused than when I started ;) This seems to be because in posts the application is not really specified and so one person's "useless" is another person's "critical" and the discussions degrade from there. So if anyone has specific advice for me, here is my application:

My Application

• "Expedition" type vehicle with a shell, will be at GVWR nearly all times.
    • 2-2.5" Lift
    • 235/85/16 tires
    • Rear leaf spring designed for heavy load
    • Desert driving in southwest, dirt roads but some very rough
    • Like to drive washboard at 45 mph max
    • Do end up on rocky roads that I'd be concerned running too fast on as far as tire damage
    • Do end up on slow very rough roads that seem to make truck wobble side to side a lot even at very low speeds.
    • Rarely do sand unless it happens to be a road on the edge of dunes
    • Don't try to race or fly through whoops
    • I use my truck to get from point A to point B to go camping, ideally without having to crawl at 5 mph the whole way. I don't race, I don't intentionally chose awful routes just for the challenge.
    • I prefer to do things "right" once rather than iterate, even if that means a bit more money up front.
    I'm not set on ICON, Fox or King. But just picking ICON as a start at the minimum I'd do 2.5" Coilovers in the front and 2.0" RR in the back. If I went with CDC I'd have to bump up to 2.5" RR in the back and add RRs to the front. About $1500 difference. Again, cost not a huge factor but would rather not throw money away or add features I wouldn't use that might break. On the flip side, don't want to pay a bunch of money for something I'm not happy with and keep having rebuilt to try to get the ride "right".

2. Mar 5, 2015 at 9:25 PM
    olsin6

olsin6 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Torrance
    I personally don't have a pair on my truck yet, but we (Radflo) recently (about 4-5 months ago) started selling our newly redesigned compression adjusters. They were instantly a hit and now most our shocks we sell are going out the door with them. Most of our customers describe them as a necessity and others as a luxury.

From softest to hardest, they can increase from 10-15% stiffness which is equivalent to a small valving change on a non adjuster shock.

The washboard that you will be driving, ultimately that will come down the actual valving of the shock.

Feel free to give us a call and discuss any other questions you have, the guys in the offce have years of suspension experience. If we somehow don't make something for your truck, we can custom make it to your application.

3. Mar 8, 2015 at 7:24 AM
    DVexile

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    @olsin6 - Thanks, that is useful feedback! I'll be doing the suspension in about 6 months time so I may be giving you guys a call then.

Beyond that response - deafening silence... :tumbleweed:

Doesn't look like anyone who has bought one has anything to say about them!

Maybe I'll give adjusters a skip and use the saved money to revalve if necessary. Sounds like valving is the more important thing to get right and the clicker adjust is pretty minor.

Sort of surprised how little real world experience I've been able to find with adjusters!

4. Mar 10, 2015 at 2:19 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    If money wasn't the deciding factor if deff go with the icons. The 2.5's in the rear will make the biggest difference as the rear tends to take the most abuse. I have AP's Fox resi with adjusters and they do make a difference in rough terrain/whoops. For DD I keep them at 3 and when I hit the dirt I'll crank them to 8 as I like to drive fast and the rear doesn't bottom out. When I had 5100s in the rear (prob = to #1 setting) I bottomed out on EVERYTHING and that's with AP standard springs.

Icon makes such a quality product and i will upgrade my front end (currently non resi Icons) to CDC in the future. I think the FOX DSC looks cool too but I don't see a huge need for adjusting both slow and high speed as I either drive fast (90% in AZ desert) or I'm crawling at slow/moderate speeds......a single adjuster works good enough.

5. Nov 27, 2015 at 4:25 PM
    Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Icon Suspension with CDCV, SPC Light Racing UCAs, Wheeler's 3 Leaf AAL, Wheeler's Superbumps, sPod SE BAMF Sliders, All-Pro Skids, AFE Drop in filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, RCI Aluminum LCA Skids, BAMF Bed Brackets, 4X Innovations Rear Bumper, FX-R Retrofit Headlights with Philips 4300k, Custom Nestah Edition Firestik AM/FM Antenna, Famous Fab Hood brackets, FrontRunner SlimLine 2 Roof Rack, Mob Town Offroad tailgate reinforcement plate, Ram A pillar mount, Anti-Dark hood lights, Lots of LED lights,
    @DVexile what suspension set up did you end up selecting? Currently trying to get my front suspension sorted out.

6. Nov 29, 2015 at 9:18 AM
    mtnkid85

mtnkid85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MT
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD Taco
    35s, Locked, blown
    Ive been interested in the Fox DSC adjusters as well and you are right, there is shockingly little information out there about them!

7. Nov 29, 2015 at 9:21 AM
    DVexile

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    I am actually still selecting, I had planned on doing install back in September but life has interfered and so it will probably be January instead now.

Current plan is to skip the CDCs and just go with standard ICON 2.5 fronts and ICON 2.0 w/RR in the back. All Pro Expedition rear leafs. Not 100% sure on UCAs, but probably Total Chaos though I've been eyeing the JBAs which have been having some early adoption issues.

8. Aug 2, 2016 at 3:50 AM
    artesho

artesho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Reviving this thread to prevent stating new redundant threads. (Proof of doing research lol)

Doing some research about this and surprisingly there is still not that much conclusive reviews on this topic.

I'm particularly interested in the King adjusters for anyone that has experience with it. Is there a significant difference in ride characteristics on road?

9. Aug 2, 2016 at 9:11 AM
    JasonT87

JasonT87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Total Chaos mid-travel front. JD Fab SUA rear.
    Haven't felt a huge difference on the pavement with my King adjusters, but they are overall stiffer than stock shocks/suspension

10. Aug 2, 2016 at 3:06 PM
    jtv

jtv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well...Just Back From Hell
    Vehicle:
    2012 V6PreRunner TRDSport
    King all 4 corners, TRD cat back, OEM 17" TRD rims, Fold-A-Cover
    So it would be a waste on pavement? How worth is it if only on road purpose? I'm asking because I've been searching for over a month but not much info.

11. Aug 2, 2016 at 4:15 PM
    JasonT87

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    If it's strictly a pavement pounder/mall crawler/just for looks, save $ and go without. Most guys that run the adjusters have purpose built/off-roaded often trucks

12. Aug 3, 2016 at 7:41 AM
    jtv

jtv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Last question- do you think I should be good with 2.5" without resi? (pavement pounder). I know I could do 5100, but I want more and I don't want to ask sellers while searching. I like one with resi but no point to get one if not needed and pay for.

13. Aug 3, 2016 at 7:51 AM
    JasonT87

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    You can even get by with 2.0's non-resi. Seems like you're willing to pay a lot for something you really don't have a use for other than looking good in the parking lot.

jtv[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Aug 3, 2016 at 8:06 AM
    jtv

jtv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for your input. Not really for look but emphasis on "more comfortable ride" on pavement. And I figure that 2.5" lasts longer than 2".

15. Aug 3, 2016 at 12:51 PM
    JasonT87

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    It'll feel the same on pavement. The shocks aren't doing much work on flat ground. Going offroad you'll feel the difference between the 2.0s and 2.5s. You'll probably be happy with the Bilstein replacements too if you aren't taking it off the highway

16. Aug 3, 2016 at 1:04 PM
    Wile

Wile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    I have icon 2.5 with reservoirs both front and back. Icon alum UCA and 700# coils in front and all-pro expos in the rear. I'm glad I got the CDC. I run them set to "S" (softest setting) on road. I turn them up to "4" (equal to the default non-CDC shock setting) when wheeling. The default or "4" setting is noticeably stiffer when run on road. I find a definite value in the CDC feature.

Edit: I rock crawl and do higher speed desert runs. Love my icons.

17. Aug 5, 2016 at 8:12 AM
    2nd screen name

2nd screen name Tacodelaplaya

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    LV/SD
    Vehicle:
    06 AC Sport Prerunner
    Front: Maxtrac, DK heim UCA, 6112 Rear: AP expos, Fox 2.5 RR DSC Fn fivestar with General reds
    I have fox dsc rear 2.5s and i really like the dsc. I can notice one click in the ride so its like having a bunch of different valved shocks at your finger tips.

18. Aug 6, 2016 at 5:36 AM
    jtv

jtv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I think I'm going with Fox or King with r/r + adjuster. Icon spring at 650# might be too much for pavement. Suggestion?

19. Aug 9, 2016 at 9:31 AM
    2nd screen name

2nd screen name Tacodelaplaya

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    LV/SD
    Vehicle:
    06 AC Sport Prerunner
    Front: Maxtrac, DK heim UCA, 6112 Rear: AP expos, Fox 2.5 RR DSC Fn fivestar with General reds
    My 6112 are about that rate and if i flex my truck the front barely moves. Drives great on the road though.

20. Aug 9, 2016 at 10:49 AM
    moodywizard

moodywizard Well-Known Member

Member:
    Running king 2.5 with king 650lb springs and adjusters on all corners, best thing ever! Adjust for any type of terrain. Ive had 5100's and icons previously so Ive experienced a little bit of everything.

Products Discussed in

To Top