1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Computer controlled throttle with manual transmission...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PA452, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Apr 23, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    btkicker

btkicker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Reg Cab Manual
    When I test drove both, the V6 + 6 speed seemed to "hang" much much more than the 4 banger and the 5 speed. Yeah, has something to do with rev-matching for dummies and emissions.

2. Apr 23, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    The clutch is one of the things on the Tacoma that actually works for me.
    I have been driving MT's for 30yrs, I dont' see the problem.
    I do sometimes wish for a Dieselgeek shifter.
    High revs to launch?...really?...I find just off idle, plenty of torque for my DC with a shell on back.
    Rev to 3k?....really?....all my shifts take place around 2k.

3. Apr 23, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Took me a little getting used to the longer clutch pedal travel since I came from a Honda Accord 5spd but I don't have any problems. I can drive the tacoma pretty smooth. The one thing I do like is being able to let out the clutch with little gas pedal input and take off. In a car you would stall out if you did that due to the lack of torque.

As far as pedal responsiveness. I can't really tell the difference between cable throttle vs. electronic. I have driven lots of cars (used to be a valet) and I personally can't tell the difference. "mind over matter" :D I think some people are expecting it to be different and therefor their mind makes them think its different when it really isnt.

4. Apr 23, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    I have both and it doesnt really help, they only affect high rpms

as for being able to take of smoothly its very easy in these trucks put it in first, and just basically pop the clutch, you dont need to ride it at all in first, im pretty sure I can put mine in first pop the clutch and the idle will make it start moving, have never stalled it.

5. Apr 23, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    Natetroknot

Natetroknot Experiencing TW at several WTFs per thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Dubuque, IA
    Vehicle:
    19 Sport AC-6MT
    I had some pretty serious issues with the 6 speed initially, got more used to it, but haven't ever experienced 100% 'tranquility' with the clutch. Seemed to improve once I got the CAI, and I'm much more in the habit of throttle blipping when downshifting in this truck versus other manuals I've owned.

For some reason it's gotten much better with age. Dunno if it's the computer learning my driving style, me learning the computer's style, or a combination of the two.

6. Apr 23, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    The person who said that has a 2.7.

It can be done with the 2.7 but its a slow process, the guy behind you would be SUPER pissed and this will only work on a level surface...or downgrade, any bit of an incline and you can forget it.

I hate the fact the truck trys to rev match, when i fully depress the clutch i expect it engage then and right then...100%

7. Apr 23, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    Thank you for clarifying. I am not suprised there are different results with the 2.7 and the 4.0. Makes sense with Different TQ and HP, but it is interesting to notice how people only see the OP's complaint more so on the 4.0.

Also the low 4.10 end makes a hell of a whine getting up to 3k but love it in traffic. I've noticed with the warmer weather I can shift to 2nd at around 2800 or 2700 with no resistance. I will change to MT90 at 10,000 miles and see how that goes.

Another annoying thing I've noticed is the inability to start in second at any speed below ~12mph. If I go 9mph and let out clutch in 2nd on flat I get horrible shudder. Probably has more to do with being a 4 cyl and the engine torque just can't do it. My old 92 could do this when barely rolling no problem.

8. Apr 23, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    MT 90 made my tranny worse!!

9. Apr 23, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    maybe you have a bigger issue???

I was told it should improve shifting, if i could find it where i live i would have it already.

I really want to get a short shifter either urd or trd.

10. Apr 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    I've used it many times in many vehicles and any "synth" 75W-90 GL-4 should help over whats in there now.

I would think perhaps the level isnt good or it's just really cold. When it is cold there isn't much you can do about that.

Back to the topic:
    Though I am not a big fan of polls in that they really don't help people much - I think maybe a poll on the 4.0 or 2.7 having this "feature" would be more helpful to the OP and others. I may have seen one about this a while ago though.....beat stick on this issue or no?

11. Apr 23, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    The MT90 was MUCH thinner.....the stock gear oil that came with my tuck seems to work the best

12. Apr 23, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    :thumbsup:

And perhaps Toyota is still trying to fine tune the computer programming on these vehicles with electonic throttle. Or perhaps there's some other reason why the rpm's 'hang'. It's a Toyota thing I guess. ??

My 96 tacoma (3.4L) manual never shifted like that. In fact, it shifted like a manual should shift (rpms drop when press in clutch with foot off the gas).

13. Apr 23, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    Me to!!:):mad::D:eek::rolleyes:

14. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I think you're correct. Mine doesn't really seem to hang either. I was watching it yesterday as I shifted. I don't get any real big jump in RPM between shifts. I'm usually shifting before 2000 rpms so maybe that's why.

I've driven manuals before as well. Most of my cars have been manuals. The only thing I really noticed when I bought the truck was the long clutch pedal throw and the fact that 1st gear revs up pretty fast.

15. Apr 24, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I have an '08. Should I have this problem or should I just enjoy driving my MT ?

16. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    nhstang

nhstang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Nashua, NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Stainless Step Bars, Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    It's all the computer. My 06 Mustang GT (also drive-by-wire) had this "RPM hang" as well that made the car more difficult to drive, especially getting off to a smooth start. When I got a CAI for it, I also reflashed the computer with a Diablosport performance tune to adjust the fuel/air ratio, etc and the new program also got rid of the RPM hang. I absolutely couldn't believe how much easier the car was to drive. It was like a different, much more immediately responsive car.

Makes me wonder if someone could come up with a re-flash for the 4.0 Taco. Wouldn't do anything for the short 1st and 6th gears but might help the driveability. I've been driving manuals for 20 years and this is by far the hardest to get used to.

17. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    i only notice it sometimes when shifting from 4th to 5th gear

18. Apr 24, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Yeah, that would definitely be something I'd be interested in.

19. Apr 25, 2010 at 12:23 AM
    superminsoo

superminsoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    It took a couple hundred miles of rough shifting but I just got used to it. Not using the accel much when starting helps me stay smooth on starts. Its got enough power to go up small hills with the clutch alone.

20. May 25, 2010 at 11:27 PM
    miketv

miketv Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR 6spd
    comming soon!

ditto, as a new 2nd gen owner that little "feature" is quite un-nerving and will take a bit of getting used too. Having driven manual trannied vehicles for most of my life this is the first one that "thinks for itself". I'm in a technical engineering field and having a bit of code decide for YOU what is going to happen and affect your enviroment this way doesn't exactly give me warm fuzzies. Most machines are basically dumb and very obedient (a good thing) but, it only takes one zealous software engineer to turn that "good" machine into a friggin monster..

Products Discussed in

To Top