1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

computer guys need help setting up wireless

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by roskinc, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    roskinc

roskinc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    whats up tacoma dudes. i got a question maybe it could be easy for some of you. me and my neighbors want to share internet service and split the bill between us (like 5 computers) i plan to upgrade to a faster internet my provider has (says 15mb dl) if itll even make a difference we just dont want it being slow incase were all downloading something. anyways, they barley get a signal from their house from my router, we live in a lot kinda like a condo with 3 houses, is it possible to put some type of signal booster in the middle house? i really dont wanna run a wire to their house and connect that to a router they have. any suggestions?

2. Jun 7, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    ruler

ruler Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal - Los Angeles - SGV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma, TRD Sport, DC 4x4
    Fox Extended Travel Coilovers 2.5 (front), Fox 2.0 shocks (rear),Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expedition leaf pack, AllPro front plate style bumper,BHLM, GrillCraft MX series Grill, ATX Thug 17inch rims, Toyo Open Country MT (295,70,17), TRD CAI,Rear smoked LED tail lights, slimcubby HID Head Lights (50w 1200k), ADVMonster 60 Series 3600 Lumen LED Off Road Lights , Pioneer Avic-F700bt (navigation,head unit)
    maybe get a router with the extended range, range booster, Dlink sells one of those repeater devices your asking about used to use one. the Range was ok

3. Jun 7, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    Joehs

Joehs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    AL
    You could set up an access point if you were so inclined, that would do it. Or a signal repeater, either can be run from their living area, and pick up off your signal.

4. Jun 7, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    Lookup a WiFi repeater, you can repeat the signal and bounce it to the next location.

5. Jun 7, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    when i get home i can check my settings for you....i have 2 routers... 1 router is set to be a "router" and assign IP addresses ... the other router is set to just simply an access point... you will need to run 1 cat 5 line between each router... the purpose for this is to assign the access point router an IP so that it can in turn act as a "router".... you'll have wireless from both devices.

6. Jun 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Do a Wifi repeater and remember to close the network.

7. Jun 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    You are really doing your neighbor a dis service if you want him to only utilize the WiFi portion of your router. For every WiFi device connected to your router you will decrease the available bandwidth. For all things to be equal you should run cat5 to his house and let him use his own router. All you need is cat5 and some pvc pipe to put it underground.

8. Jun 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    Brainless

Brainless Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Moses Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off-Road 6sp manual
    if you have an extra linksys wireless router laying around, you can hit up dd-wrt.com and use custom firmware to make it a repeater. and of course make sure you lock it down.

9. Jun 7, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    roskinc

roskinc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    i actually do have a extra dlink router, and they all have laptops so wireless is all they need. im going to look into the repeaters as well as how make that dlink router i have a repeater. thanks for the input guys, highly appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top