1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Concealed carry weapon reviews

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Pat 13, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:31 AM
    Pat 13

Pat 13 [OP] Hillbilly 4X4

Member:
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma V6 DC 4X4 TX Pro
    I am not sure what to carry, I am leaning toward the Ruger LCP or LC9 and also going to look at S&W Bodyguard and Keltec PF-9. I am looking for a reliable sub-compact auto single stack and wanted to know what other people carried and how they liked it, the positives and negatives. I'm not looking for the biggest gun but something that I can carry all the time without noticing it too much (light and small). I am also looking for a holster and am looking at an inside the pants or belt loop, let me know what you have used and how you like it or what you didn't like about it.

Edit: I have added a text file comparing them

Attached Files:

2. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    SMR

SMR SSGT

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4
    FJ rims , duratracks , 5100@1.75 , tsb springs , AFE pro dry , bestop
    Take a look at the SIG 225

3. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    When I am not carrying my Sig P220 45 in an MTAC holster, I am carrying my Sig P232 .380 in a Crossbread SuperTuck.

Carry the pistol that is the most comfortable for you to shoot. It doesn't matter what we all think or what fits the best in your pants, if your not comfortable shooting it, than you shouldn't carry it.

I have tried several IWB hosters trying to stay cheap, but they were all.... cheap. The MTAC & Crossbreed both have leather between you and the pistol, which makes it very comfortable to carry. Even in a 115 degrees Phoenix summer.

4. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:40 AM
    MonroeTaco

MonroeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Winder, GA.
    Vehicle:
    2021 Off Road
    I have been carrying a Springfield XD40SC in a MTAC IWB for 5 years every day. Took about 2 weeks to get used to it being there, now it feels akward not to have it. When I can't carry that, it's a Keltec 380 in a Desantis pocket holster.

5. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    ^This!

Personally, I carry a Springfield EMP in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB.

6. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    i have a kel tec p3at, it's a nice little gun, very small, fits well in my large hand but the trigger pull is very long and thats kind of uncomfortable, also tends to make you shoot low because of it

7. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    I would never buy another KelTec product and some members have reported problems with their LC9s. I carry the Beretta 3032 Tomcat in a Galco DC 294 inside the waist holster. The holster's belt clip is hinged at the bottom so you can tuck in your shirt over it. My son loves his Sig P238, so I got him a Galco inside the waist holster for Christmas. Get ready for a lot of arguing here about which caliber and which brand is best.

8. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i hate living in nj lol. this shit hole of a state has some of the highest crime rates in the country and normal people can't ccw for their protection? this makes zero sense to me.

this was posted via :jellydance:

9. Dec 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    MonroeTaco

MonroeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Winder, GA.
    Vehicle:
    2021 Off Road

My Keltec had some jamming issues until I did a fluff and buff, and it hasn't had a hiccup since. It is kinda picky with certain hollow points, I just feed it ball ammo and CorBon DPX now. There's no need to argue about calibers, everyone knows 40 is the best....:stirthepot:

10. Dec 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

WhiskeyDeltaTango Resident Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
    ARB Bull Bar, ProComp 9" lights, Dual Hella aux backup lights, WARN VR10000, OME 886x, Dakar Leafs, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, Kicker CVT10, Kicker 750.1
    I either carry a fullsize M&P9, a Ruger SR9c or a Keltec PF9.
    And I carry them all in a crossbreed. I have tried other IWB that work ok but the leather on the crossbreed keeps the pistol from bruising your kidneys.
    I also tend to stay with 9mm. It's cheaper to practice and easier to find. And 9mm guns are bigger for my hands, I just dont feel good about shooting with an ultra small .380.

EDIT: Make sure you try out the LC series before buying they have a moderately heavy DA only trigger

11. Dec 20, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Carry the largest caliber gun that you can shoot reliably. Other considerations should be secondary. If you place those other considerations above, than you are compromising.
    The first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun, but do you really wnat to make compromises on your ablility to defend yourself?

12. Dec 20, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    Whitster

Whitster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC w/SR5 & TRD, 6' bed
    Depends on where I'm going and what I'm going to be wearing.
    By far the most comfortable carry for my lasered Glock 30 (.45) is the CompTacII paddle holster. It also has a speed clip for IWB carry, no holster necessary.

I sometimes carry a Taurus TCP .380 in an Ace exterior foam holster. While it does the job of keeping the holster in the front pocket while drawing, the outline is a bit noticeable in certain positions. Lately I've started carrying it, in the holster, inside the pant. The foam exterior keeps it from moving around and at less than 11 ounces is reasonably comfortable as an IWB carry.

Whit

IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg

13. Dec 20, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Congrats on identifying single-stack for your CC.
    You'll still get carpetbombed by everybody promoting the dbl-stack they own.
    I carry Kahr PM9 everywhere I go, but never IWB.
    Desantis Nemesis or a Kramer to break the outline.
    I really like the way this little gun shoots.
    Very controllable.
    I added a Hogue grip sleeve that adds a finger groove...that, plus the extended mag with the pinky extension and I'm GTG.

14. Dec 20, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I carry a Kimber Ultra CDP II in .45 - in a custom OWB holster made by El Paso Saddlery.

The best advice given here is to carry the biggest caliber you can comfortably shoot. If you're not confident with what's in your hand, it doesn't matter what caliber it is or how many rounds it holds. What counts is rounds on target...quickly.

15. Dec 20, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    I carry the same two guns myself. The XD is good to go but it's a bit large and heavy. I carry it more in the winter when I actually wear pants that could use a belt.

The P3AT I carry the most. I carry it in a Nemisis pocket holster. A lot of my buddies bust my balls about it "only" behing a .380, but most of the time their G27, XD40sc, M&Pc is either at home or in the glove box because it's too big and heavy to carry.
    Mind you I live in FL where 80% of the time I wear shorts, t shirt and flops.

On a side note, I have to qualify withboth weapons every year. I have to shoot 40 rounds all the way out to 15 yards. Even with the small sights I get the job done and only drop 1 or 2 rounds with the .380. Perfect score with the XD of course.

16. Dec 20, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    like the rest said, ...what works for one may not work for another... this is especially true w/ holsters :D

..i'm an IWB-guy, ...so, i'd recommend starting there, i'm also a kydex guy, ..but many folks swear by leather...

as for size, ..keep in mind the smaller the gun, the harder to wield, harder to align sights (sight radius), generally harder to charge, and generally tend to have nastier recoil..

smallest i'd personally go, in terms of frame size, is like a ruger sr9c, or walther pps compact (i think they have a compact?)..

17. Dec 20, 2011 at 6:07 PM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
  18. Dec 20, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    Zebra

Zebra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Millington, TN
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 2.7L 4x2 Reg. Cab 5-speed
    Volant ram air and CAI setup, Fumoto oil drain valve, Pioneer DEH-3900MP
    hmm never even heard of them. 300 bucks retail i wonder what dealer cost is? well you just gave me something to do tomorrow

19. Dec 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    Zebra

Zebra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Millington, TN
    Vehicle:
    i carry a witness p .45, a taurus pt145, a taurus pt1911, or just added a taurus pt845

20. Dec 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM
    Zebra

Zebra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Millington, TN
    Vehicle:
    how do you like that taurus TCP .380? everyone seems to love them that i talk to

Products Discussed in

To Top