1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Concerns about purchasing 09 TRD Off Road

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JesseRay, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Aug 3, 2011 at 11:33 AM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    you could take it to another dealership and have it inspected, a certified car carries a 100k warranty through Toyota so you can have it looked at anywhere but i agree with he others unless you got a deal too good to pass walk away you can always find another truck a Tacoma with 61k has to have been driven pretty hard to be having problems already.

2. Aug 3, 2011 at 11:48 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Used vehicle sales don't benefit the dealer as far as manufacturer incentives are concerned.

I would test drive it after it is fixed and decide at that time if you think there might be other issues. It sounds like the dealer is willing to work with you either way you decide. Since it is certified used doesn't it come with some kind of warranty?

As far as changing brakes and the serpentine belt at 61k miles isn't unheard of and is probably part of the certified program. If I bought a used truck with 61k miles I would probably change the brakes and serpentine belt.

3. Aug 3, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    Toymaker

Toymaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    DC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra RCSB 4x4 TRD OR, Black
    Certified used Toyotas come with a 12-month/12,000-mile Comprehensive Warranty, and a 7-year/100,000-mile Limited Powertrain Warranty. There's no reason why the dealer shouldn't fix your truck.

Requiring brake work at 61k miles isn't out of the ordinary especially if the truck was used as a commuter vehicle which 61k miles on an '09 suggests. If it was used as a work truck you would see signs of it in the bed and the interior. The rear end problem is definitely out of the ordinary though.

It's also possible that the same driver, owner, family member, friend etc. engaged 4 Lo and/or the electric locker (in the case of your Prerunner) once too often on dry hard pavement damaging the rear end and possibly other driveline components as well. This suggests abuse by a driver who didn't know how to operate the truck.

Personally, I'd look for another truck.

4. Aug 3, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2, warranty or walk. I'd still be weary even with the warranty but at least it would protect you.

5. Aug 3, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    JesseRay

JesseRay [OP] Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Looks like I'm going to walk. Hopefully they'll give me my down payment back in a timely manner so I can go find another truck that I'm 100% comfortable with. Thanks a lot for the advice everyone. I hate to give up the truck, but stuff happens.

6. Aug 3, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    Underdog777

Underdog777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    Tacoma World is here for you man. We got this. Gonna buy another Taco from a different place?

7. Aug 3, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    I sincerely think this is the wise thing to do.

8. Aug 3, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    platinumb

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    he doesnt have to make them throw in a waranty a certified toyota comes with a warranty. they all do.

9. Aug 3, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    mwtaco

mwtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07DCSB Black
    please walk away. dont trust a single thing they say. why buy into a headache. waiting is better than a lemon and hassling with fools.

10. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    You're not giving up a truck; you're saving your money! If they dick with you AT ALL call and open a file with your State Attorney Generals Office right away (it's free to you, courtesy of your taxes) and don't let on to the Dealership you're doing so; let it be a SURPRISE for them.

11. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    Icepuck72

Icepuck72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    OME 885's, Dakars, TRD Trail Edition Wheels, 285x75x16 Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Fog Light mod, 2 Baby seats
    .....and not sure if it's been said...but I wouldn't even go back to the dealer....trifling from the get go...just imagine what else could come up.

12. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:29 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    MIGHT WANT TO READ THIS, FRIEND....
    I just got R&P set #4 put in mine. I blew the rear Ring & Pinion the first time I went off road, with my TRD Off Road model...... Since the first failure, I have not done anything other than necessary off road travel, and the rear end keeps getting noisy. My dealer replaces it about every 12000 miles, with not a work of complaint. But what a bag of shit. Imagine being on the hook for that every 8 or 9 months! I also got shiny new bumper #3 with my new rear diff, wiper & blower motor.
    For the record, I have never replaced any of those items on my 5 other trucks, or my work truck. Never so much as blown a wiper blade. So once the diff is facked, it can be a persistent, long term problem.
    Maybe find a non-off road model. I understand they are quite stout.
    If I were in the market to be ripped off for another midsize truck, I would actually go with the Frontier. I had an '05, and anyone who thinks they are second to the Tacoma, is not really in the market for a truck. Me, I'm going with an F150 next time around.

13. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    frontiers have front diff issues. the rear diff is a dana44 thus not made by nissan hense no issues.

i would be more inclined to say the dealership has been screwing you on the taco. if they replaced the third member it would be new. Maybe the dealership was trying to rebuild it themselves hense the recurring failures. maybe they didnt clean all the shrapnel out of the housing if they did get a new third member

14. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport CC, LB
    King Racing reservoir shocks, Camburg UCA's, Deaver 10 leaf pack, Bilstein 5100's, Magnaflow exhaust.
    RUN, don't walk......Complete bullshit they didn't know the rear end needed work.
    Are YOU going to believe THEY didn't test drive the freshly serviced truck prior to your picking it up?

No way I would buy that truck or any other from that dealership.

15. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    what's the name of the dealership? curious, since im local to you. you can pm the name to me if you don't want to post if openly.

you're better off getting a 4wd anyways... walk away from the prerunner.

16. Aug 3, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    floormatt

floormatt Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner DC Sport
    I am a General Manager at a Dealership in Florida. Check the laws in TX!! In Florida there is no such thing as "Walking away" from a car you purchased. There is no such thing as a cooling off period. Once you sign the contract and drive off the property the vehicle is yours and your lein-holder's.

I would ill advise about "walking away" when you thing they have to take it back. Check your local laws.... If you take it back the lienholder they contracted you and you signed up with will reposess the vehicle.

You dont need that!! -------- AT ALL!!!

Do some homework...........so your credit doesnt get screwed for 10 plus years!

17. Aug 3, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport CC, LB
    King Racing reservoir shocks, Camburg UCA's, Deaver 10 leaf pack, Bilstein 5100's, Magnaflow exhaust.
    The OP stated they gave him the option to walk.
    Also, blatant fraud by the dealership trumps driving off the lot expecting to get what you pay for.
    My guess is the dealer will refund his money and hook the next guy who shows interest in that truck.

18. Aug 3, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    They lied to him and tried to hide it, if they don't take it back no questions asked get a lawyer.

19. Aug 3, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    platinumb

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    I have been through that before there are two problems though, when you sign for a car you sign a document that states if you have a problem with them no matter what that problem is it must be handled in arbitration not court no exceptions. (In my case the dealership redid the finance papers after I left the deaership and added an extended warranty then forged my signature on the new documents.) Obvious fraud is still forced to arbitration not court. While arbitrators are "impartial" they are also independant and paid by the dealers so they are likely to not try and pies off a car dealer as other dealers in the future might not hire them. I agree you should get away from that dealer if possible. Just make sure you can do it according. to state law where you bought the truck. Read all the fine print. There is a disclosure at Preston car dealerships that actually says "I understand I am buying a used car and any problems that come with it, if it breaks in half today I own both halves." Andthere is no cooling off or remource period. I think there should be it is a rackett. And arbitration is a joke the one I went to the dealer was fined 5000.00 for forging finance papers in my name????? Holly shit that's nothing.

20. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    If they won't let you walk away from the deal as the salesman said and if all else fails, sue the salesman personally. Let him lie to the Judge in Court. Judges LOVE that.

Products Discussed in

To Top