1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Confused about transponder key copies.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Vhal, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Aug 3, 2015 at 7:48 AM
    Vhal

Vhal [OP] New Member

Member:
    Sorry if this is been answered but my search has not yielded any solid answers.

I recently bought a 2005 Tacoma X-Runner. It only came with 1 key. So naturally, I want spares made.

This key is grey (as shown http://i.imgur.com/MiSl262.jpg) and has a dot near the base of the blade. My research leads me to believe that this is a valet key. Research also says that valet keys will only unlock the driver-side door and start the engine. However, this key will unlock both doors and start the engine. So I am unsure if this is a master or a valet.

The dealership wants $375 to make me a pair of spares.
    I found some blanks online for $10, and a locksmith that says he can program and cut the keys for $50 total. This is the route I prefer to go.

I am unclear as to whether or not this can be done successfully. One source states that if I do not have a master key, then I can not make copies unless I replace the immobilizer system. I relayed this information to the locksmith but he seemed confident he could do it.

Can anyone give me some clarification?

2. Aug 3, 2015 at 7:54 AM
    bubbabud

bubbabud Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Tonopah AZ
    Vehicle:
    13 tacoma TRD Off road.ARE shell no rust anywhere period.
    2 in spacer lift front 2, in AAL rear [tundra leaf] , flip up tow mirrors, ARE shell electric brake controller and cooper ATP 265/r70x16 tires on stock TRD wheels
    Whats the problem many locksmith's have the equipment to program transponder key's. Give it a go if it don't work then you don't pay And your not out any thing.

3. Aug 3, 2015 at 8:08 AM
    Vhal

Vhal [OP] New Member

Member:
    I read a few stories about people not being able to start their cars after having keys programmed from sources other than the dealership. I just didn't want to get stuck.

Thanks for the reply.

Products Discussed in

To Top