1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering Buying a taco

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Bro Nev, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Mar 14, 2011 at 9:59 PM
    Bro Nev

Bro Nev [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey boys, im new here first post sorry if this topic has came up a few times but ive been all around the pages and want some answers myself. Looking at dropping 10-12k on a taco because im sick of having beaters and want a reliable truck. Being on these froums sure seems like ive found the right truck. Every taco around here thats reasonably priced has 200 kms plus and was wondeirng if this will be a problem down the road or the 3.4l 6 runs like a champ. Will be checking out rust on the frame as well as getting my mechanic to check it out as well. Good to hear back from you bros. One more question how does the prerunner do offroad considering it is not 4x4? Could save some money that way as well

2. Mar 14, 2011 at 10:59 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    Hey man welcome to TW! :canada:

I ended up spending 13k on my 4x4 DC. There was a misunderstanding (read: burned) and it had 149k miles (240k km). I did have a frame swap done right away (yay!) and had a lift put in.

I love my truck and it runs great. The timing belt was done right before I bought it, that is another item you should be looking into. I think if it seems to run fine and your guy looks it over, then why not?

Hopefully you can get the frame swap done, it's like having a new truck!

3. Mar 14, 2011 at 11:10 PM
    Bro Nev

Bro Nev [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey man thanks for the heads up! Glad to hear they do frame replacement in BC, so if im not mistaken the tacomas that are before 2001 they do not do frame replacements on them? So I should aim for a 2001 + as they do not buy back your truck, rather replace the frame :)

4. Mar 15, 2011 at 12:08 AM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    Well, if you can get an old one, they pay 1.5 times excellent blue book value, so you get get a nice cheque for a newer one.

5. Mar 15, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    Bro Nev

Bro Nev [OP] New Member

Member:
    Haha good news man, how long are they doing the frame replacement for ive read 15 years from when the truck was built. I dont want to end up buying one and toyota screwing me on a replacemt or does toyota geniunely care about fixing the issue? Thanks for the help
    btw from looking at your build how much did your lift cost in total as both being in Canada should be around the same

Products Discussed in

To Top