1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering going from FS Destination LE2 to Cooper Discoverer AT3

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Vrbas, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Aug 16, 2018 at 8:25 AM
    Vrbas

Vrbas [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    I run a humble 2011 Access Cab 2wd 4cyl 5-speed that sees overwhelming majority city/hwy miles. I'm just a few thousand over 50k on my current Firestone Destination LE2's (235/70/15) and I still have a good amount of tread depth left (see pics).

I'm considering moving over to the Coopers because I've been hearing rave reviews about them and I wouldn't mind moving to an A/T for reasons none other than going off the beaten path from time to time and gripping in light snow (or possibly ice); I like the peace of mind off-road even if I don't find myself in anything crazy too often (I know the limits of my base 2wd). I'd like to get some thoughts on moving from a H/T to an A/T. I'm also looking to go just a shade taller at 235/75/15 but hope there won't be any rubbing or other issues on my stock suspension. I also might replace the spare Dunflop w/ my old Destination tire that would function better in a pinch than the tiny pizza-cutter that came stock. Thanks for your input.

20180813_182016.jpg
    20180813_182041.jpg

2. Aug 20, 2018 at 6:08 AM
    Vrbas

Vrbas [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    bump

3. Aug 20, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    The Real Moondog

The Real Moondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Sold :()
    If you are going to do any off roading, even light, then go to an AT and don’t look back. The AT3 is a good tire. I had them on my second gen. My only issue with them is, while they are OK in the rain, they could be much better. I just bought tires for my third gen at 11K miles because I wanted something more aggressive so I went with the Falken AT3W. They are still in my garage waiting to be mounted but I will get to it soon enough. There are a lot of good choices out there. I would not go too aggressive with a base 2WD but a decent AT will be fine. My son has the Firestone Destination AT SE on his Trailhawk and they have been great tires and are wearing like iron so far. The new AT3 Coopers seem to have been improved and have a much more aggressive sidewall. The best tire I had on my second gen was the Michelin AT2. Michelins cost more but I’ve never had any balance issues out of them. They were ok for minimal off roading but that or my stock GYs would not meet my needs now.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Vrbas[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top