1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering Tacoma 4X4

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by russtruck, Oct 22, 2012.

1. russtruck

russtruck [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Northern California
    I am considering a 2013 Toyota Tacoma regular cab 4X4 4 cylinder automatic. I test drove one yesterday and was impressed by the quality and quietness but was concerned by the feeling of a lack of power. The truck only had 8 miles on it so I can understand the engine not being broken in having some impact. I would like to hear from other owners about the power issue. I won't be towing or hauling heavy roads and it will be a daily driver. Thanks in advance

2. GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    Do it. I love my reg cab 4x4 auto. Its not fast by any means but it gets great mpgs and has plenty of pep for me driving around town.

3. Tommy27

Tommy27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Boise,ID
    Vehicle:
    White 09 AC 4x4 2.7 5spd SR5
    Leer shell, Bed mat, Grill Guard
    If you dont have a lead foot you will be fine. The truck you drove will probably be the same power as the one you get. Now if you got the 5 speed manual then it would be better. I drove both and would not get the automatic, if you get the 4 cylinder you have to get the 5 speed.

4. MTBerJim

MTBerJim You Know We Can't Do This All Day!!!

Member:
    Long Island, NY.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 2.7, Auto, 4x4
    Original
    I have a 2012 AC 4cyl auto now, I traded in a V8 F-150 on. It takes some getting used to. It's only about a month now,
    I've learned to get a running start getting on the parkway.:burnrubber:
    In truth it's not all that bad, if you put your foot in the Tacoma it will go, just don't expect it to go in a hurry.

I've justed my driving to suit the truck. I can tell you the Tacoma is light years a way from the Ford in quality, it's a much better truck.

5. Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR S/C 4x4
    TRD S/C, Full OME Suspension, LR UCAs, Relentless Front Bumper, Derpwerx Fab HC Rear Bumper, 285/75/16 Revos, XD Hoss Wheels, Safari Snorkel, Infiniti FX-R HID Retrofit, Airbags in rear, Optima Yellow top, Besttop, All-Pro Skid, All-Pro HD Sliders
    Welcome to TW :wave:

Driven both the AT and MT with the 4 banger... if you go with the 4 banger, get the MT for sure.

6. 4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Longtime Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Silver State Edition
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s Click the sig pic to see the build thread .
    I'm on my 4th 4Banger Toyota truck all MT.
    1st three were RC 5luggers.
    Now I drive a 4x4 AC. Finally the seat goes back far enough to be comfortable (6'3" and seat is three notches from all the way back). If you are close to or over 6' I suggest you try a AC.
    Enough power to run 33.3" tires.
    [​IMG]
    Number 3 in background that I kept to haul firewood. I recently sold it since I don't cut wood any more. It was hard getting back into the RC after driving the AC.

7. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort St John B.C
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl SR5 auto 4x4
    I have a 2011 AC 4cyl auto. It is extremely gutless and gets poor fuel economy. I should update my fuelly. For your intended use, I think you will be fine. Mine is "loaded" and I use that term lightly with a canopy and about 3-400 lbs of tools in the box and it is really not made to haul anything more than some groceries.

8. 2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & '79 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Really should go 5 speed, the auto is gutless on the highway, they seem fine around town though. Typically in my past experience, most 4 bangers don't go well with autos. If you buy a new one with a manual it will be gutless until it is completely broken in, but after that they scoot just fine, I can even break the rear tires loose on mine from a dead stop if I want, cant do a smokey burnout, but they bark pretty loudly. I side with 4Wheelin4Banger on getting a Access Cab, look at the extra space behind the seats as dry and secure storage space. I have a 67 Ford F250 with a single cab and there is hardly no space inside for anything but 2 people, plus with RCs the seats don't go back very far if you are tall and long-legged, that would make long drives a pain in the ass. But it all comes down to personal preference.

9. MightyMouse-SCT

MightyMouse-SCT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    MightyMouse-SCT - 2011 LT 4x4 Desert Runner
    Long Travel Total chaos kit, fox shocks, smp fab , dmz sua, glassworks, method wheels.
    I'd recommend the 5 spd aswell .

10. scaplus

scaplus Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 4-banger Access Cab RWD Auto and I kinda regret not having a 4X4 Manual. Like most people said, the 4-banger will get the work done with your use but isn't amazingly powerful. When I'm going up to the mountains, it's kinda a pain in the butt with the Auto, and I always have to switch between 2-3 engine braking all the time -.-

As for MPG's, you'll get em, I get 23/24 mpg's combined going decently fast (75mph+) and considering I have a lead foot XD

11. engineerd

engineerd Member

Member:
    Issaquah WA
    Vehicle:
    '12 access 4x4 SR5
    I have the manual 4 banger 4x4 and never considered anything else. I really don't understand the idea of somebody who enjoys driving, off road or otherwise, getting behind an automatic. It seems to me like climbing mountains with oxygen: Its easier, but so what?

12. Sloweburn

Sloweburn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Waterloo, ON
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift with OME Dakar packs. Extended brake lines. Satoshi grille mod. Rear diff scuba mod. All-Pro Hybrid front bumper, home-made rear. 285/75/16 BFG Mall Terrains. Dual CB antennae. Tints all around.
    I went with the AC manual 4 banger and I love it. I've got 33's on it and it's still fine for my driving - just have to down shift for those long up hills. Performs great off road and I've even towed an FJC off a trail with no problems.

13. MTBerJim

Member:
    Long Island, NY.
    Vehicle:
    Original
    If you ever spent 2 hours in bumper to bumper traffic, getting on or off Long Island---you would understand.

14. MightyMouse-SCT

MightyMouse-SCT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    MightyMouse-SCT - 2011 LT 4x4 Desert Runner
    Long Travel Total chaos kit, fox shocks, smp fab , dmz sua, glassworks, method wheels.
    True dat .

15. Surfinpig

Surfinpig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 2.7 4x4 SR5
    Avid Offroad light bar, trd skid plate, are cap, billy 5100's
    With that said, 5 speed. But if you really want an auto, AC 6 cylinder probably get the same mileage.

16. MTBerJim

Member:
    Long Island, NY.
    Vehicle:
    Original
    It would. It would also add to the sticker price.

17. wags

wags Well-Known Member

Member:
    Walleye Capital of the World, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    I own a 2012 Tacoma SR5 package 4x4 w/4cyl 5-speed transmission. And yes, it's a little under-powered. But I knew that when I test drove one. Like you there has been no towing or heavy load hauling (I don't baby it either). Mainly a commuter on rainy days and winter months driving. It sits more than it's driven.

All in all it's a very robust little vehicle that has a proven bullet proof 2.7 liter engine. I expect to have it many years. And yes I'm glad I have it. See my fuelly.com link for mpg history. Truck is completely stock. Best of luck.

18. Tunngavik

Tunngavik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab SR5 4x4 5speed I4
    Fog lights, Heated mirrors with OEM switch, Heated seats, Cab sound deadening, Lighted 4x4 switch, URD short shifter, Rear backup camera, 2012 rear view mirror with compass, outdoor temperature and backup video mirror, Leer 100XL camper shell
    Not to hijack this thread but how to you guys get the Fuelly Report to show up on your posts?

Now to add to the thread, I have never driven the automatic but do have to say that once the engine is broken in (at least 18,000 kms) there is a noticeable difference in power. The truck is still "gutless" is some respects but if I wanted something faster then I would have bought the 6 cylinder. Also, if you are constantly in stop and go traffic then the 5 speed can be a bit of a pain and an automatic may be a better choice..

19. Tunngavik

Tunngavik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab SR5 4x4 5speed I4
    Fog lights, Heated mirrors with OEM switch, Heated seats, Cab sound deadening, Lighted 4x4 switch, URD short shifter, Rear backup camera, 2012 rear view mirror with compass, outdoor temperature and backup video mirror, Leer 100XL camper shell
    I figured out the Fuelly signature. :D

20. rlvilleman

rlvilleman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg cab 4wd (white)
    I've driven both the manual and the auto. Just depends on what you want. You do end up slappin the auto yourself on mountain roads. This is my fourth toyota four banger though. You can't go wrong..... It's what the brand was founded on.

To Top