1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering this powered sub

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Biggidyslick, Oct 1, 2023.

1. Oct 1, 2023 at 8:18 PM
    Biggidyslick

Biggidyslick [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I went to my nearest car audio store and they quoted me about $850 for a 5 channel
    Alpine S-A55V S-Series 5-Channel Digital Amplifier installed. This would add power to my speakers and be sub-ready... Seems really expensive.

At this point im considering a powered sub... Rockford Fosgate P300-8P Punch 8" 300-Watt Amplified Subwoofer

This sub is $279 on Amazon and im not sure, but this looks like its an all-in-one solution sub/amp/and powered speakers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxxNvI393gA&ab_channel=ProvoBeastAudioInstallation

Anyone have this setup? Whats your review?

2. Oct 1, 2023 at 8:40 PM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    I drive a Miata.
    I do not have that one specifically. I do have an underseat 10" powered sub (200w RMS, 550 peak). It does indeed add a little bit of low end to the sound stage, though it's not nearly enough to rattle eyeballs or wake the neighbors. It's just there for balance. But that's what I wanted.

I will say this- I would not recommend doing the sub as a first move. I would either do it after speakers+amp, or do it simultaneously. Amped door speakers are going to be your biggest bang for buck. I personally went small here again, 50 watts per channel, components up front, reasonably priced coax in rear, sound mat in doors. It's enough to hear clearly with windows down on the highway. The doors and tweeters are what's going to produce 90-95% of your sound, so concentrate on that before the sub.

I also did mine myself, which doesn't just save a ton of money: it's reassurance that it was wired properly with a plug in harness made with soldered connectors, not t-taps directly into the head unit that the installers love to do.

soundman98, tcBob and Evostaco like this.
  3. Oct 2, 2023 at 4:32 AM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    What truck? Factory speakers?

4. Oct 2, 2023 at 5:04 AM
    Biggidyslick

Member:
    23 SR5 DC non JBL, so far factory sprakers

5. Oct 2, 2023 at 6:13 AM
    dolbytone

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    So the video you posted is what I would consider a decent little upgrade. Only thing I saw that I didn’t like was the T-Tap for REM, I’m just not a fan of tapping into wires with vampire clips, so when I did my upgrade I used a harness like they did for the speaker connections and I cut/spliced the REM wire in the pass through harness. They did correctly use the front speaker output for signal so that was nice to see. The rear speakers do not provide a nice balanced signal to use for adding a subwoofer.

Adding a 5 channel amplifier would be similar, but your signal routing would change to a T-Harness with 9 Wire instead of simply tapping into the front speaker wires for signal. I can see where the cost of the amplifier and installation would run about $900 as long as they use those adapters and didn’t cut directly into the harness, or run some bullshit wiring to speaker locations.

The Alpine amplifier you mentioned is actually a decent choice if you plan to leave the factory speakers. At first I was going to object to amplifying the factory speakers since their power handling is so low, but considering a few things I think it would probably work out well.

Even though the factory speakers are <20W speakers, the radio also attenuates bass starting at around volume setting 25. With a 40W amp, I think you could get to a modest volume at or around that volume setting. As long as you don’t exceed 25-30 on the volume you should have a decently balanced sound that is louder than what the factory radio’s amplifier can provide.

This all comes with caveats because if/when you do decide to replace the factory speakers you will need to keep in mind that you’ll have less power than you normally would with an aftermarket amplifier, and what you choose to replace them with will need to still be efficient, and able to reproduce lower frequencies with the available power. You will also need to pay attention and identify when your system is distorting so you can prevent damaging the factory speakers until you install something that can handle a little more power.

soundman98 likes this.
  6. Oct 2, 2023 at 9:52 AM
    Biggidyslick

Member:
    What would be some good efficient speakers to get if i went with the 5 channel alpine? Thanks so much for the reply

wouldna better option be
    Kenwood X802-5

7. Oct 2, 2023 at 12:26 PM
    dolbytone

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    I like the Audison Prima speakers. They fit and they sound good on either factory radio or aftermarket amplifier power.

For amps I pretty much stick to Audio Control and JL HD. Most people find them to be too pricey, but I’ve had nothing but great results from them and have no reason to stray.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  8. Oct 2, 2023 at 7:33 PM
    soundman98

soundman98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '18 Taco Sport, '14 Ranger
    that kenwood looks like one of the best amps for the biggest wattage for the least amount of money in the 5 channel category

9. Oct 9, 2023 at 6:25 AM
    Biggidyslick

Member:
    so at this point, im thinking the P300-8 sub, Alpine S2-S69C, Alpine S2-S65C, and a Kicker Key 200.4 or another compact 4 ch amp, what do you think of this setup?

10. Oct 10, 2023 at 7:38 PM
    Jesse H

Jesse H Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Pro 6MT
    If all you're looking for is a nice bump in low end, that amplified sub will do the trick. For me, it would sound unbalanced with the factory head unit and speakers.

I have that sub and am very happy with it, but also an Alpine Power Pack driving some Infinity speakers.

11. Nov 13, 2023 at 7:38 PM
    Sandthemall

Sandthemall Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sandamal
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR MT
    For what it’s worth, I have the newer version of the aforementioned Alpine amp: the S2-A55V.
    It’s powering a set of 3ohm Audio Control separates and a 2ohm JL Stealthbox with no problem. And it sounds great for what it is…a solid value/entry level amp. I was worried it would not be enough amp for the speakers I had chosen. One caveat: I listen at reasonable levels but there seems to be a lot more reserve left. This amp has no problem with the 10” JL sub. It runs relatively cool in my set up even after a 3+ hour road trip.

The Kenwood is a good choice too and more compact but I personally like the style of the newer terminal connections on the Alpine.

Products Discussed in

To Top