1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Console Security Apparatus

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JJ Customs, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Sep 4, 2015 at 6:24 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs [OP] Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Hello Everyone,

I decided to make my own console security apparatus. I am happy with the way it turned out. It took about eight hours to build. I know there is an old thread with some other versions that members have made but I started a new one because I do not want to jump on someone else’s thread with my version. This is made of 1/8 inch plate. I had access to galv. that was scrap so I would recommend you go with regular steel if you tackle this project as it will make your welds a little cleaner. I picked up the lock from Amazon along with the leather remnant and a mat to cover the inside. All in it cost a little less than $50.00. I used an old valve stem cap I made from .45 brass for a small handle and it work well. It looks like there is a gap in the back of the lid from the pictures but this is just the cutaway I needed to get the top to function as I wanted it to. It is boxed in on the inside. I sacrificed an old ammo can to make the front lip for the lid to close onto and to steal the hinge. I covered that portion with leather just to keep debris and stuff from falling into it in the console. Overall a fun little project and I feel much more comfortable with this bolted to the floorboard.

IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg

2. Sep 5, 2015 at 7:11 AM
    Justn868

Justn868 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    14 4x4 TRD OR
    Looks solid!

3. Sep 5, 2015 at 7:27 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    Looks good, and definitely the price is right.

Just curious ... seems everyone is up in arms over the gaps on the Console Vault because items can fall in the gaps and hard to get them back out.

Was yours designed that way because of the limited amount of material you had available?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top