1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Consumer reports strikes again

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Viper-2, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Nov 30, 2007 at 5:27 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 [OP] Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Once again this magazine (2008 buyers guide pg 152) is not making much sense. All three made recommended status.

For the 2006 6 cyl

Overall road test score? In order of recommendation...

Ridgleline (Better known as a metrosexualmobile) 79
    Frontier 67
    Tacoma 63

BUUUUT, here's where the insanity begins and I have noticed a pattern with reviewers on this truck

Predicted reliability
    Ridgeline- Average
    Frontier-Very good
    Tacoma-Very good

Owner satisfaction
    Ridgeline- Excellent
    Frontier- Average
    Tacoma- Excellent

Accident avoidance (safety)
    Ridgeline-Average
    Frontier-Average
    Tacoma-Very good

Miles per gallon overall
    Ridgeline- 15
    Frontier-15
    Tacoma-17

The Dakota, Ford explorer sprt trac, Colorado and Canyon were all way below average and poor in all categories. MPG were 14's and 16's respectively.

They still say the Tacoma has a low seating position and the ride is stiff.

My comments: Just like that Edmunds video (also JD power and associates recommended the Tacoma #1 "compact" pickup) they are using some alien rating system to rate these trucks.

It is clear from the ratings that the Tacoma is better in every category or equal to their best. The MPG is better and the Tacoma is slightly more inexpensive (but not cheaper).

Safety, fit and finish beats them out hands down. Even in the detailed ratings the 05's did not get one black half mark at all. Only average body integrity. The others have 4 collected black marks, some are full...meaning worse.

All are in the Body integrity, paint, and trim. The Tacoma beats them out in every ratings category.

The Tacoma is the clear choice among pickups for anyone who is watching.

2. Nov 30, 2007 at 6:20 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Yeah that doesn't make a bit of sense. :(

I would never buy a Ridgeline. They are very heavy and not as utilitarian as the Tacoma and Frontier. For some reason they aren't very efficient either. They do drive well, but not enough to make me want one.

I think the Tacoma and Frontier are comparable, but I couldn't get a 4 cylinder Frontier with a decent sized cab, towing capacity, or fuel economy. :( I love my Tacoma.

3. Nov 30, 2007 at 7:25 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I think its safe to say just about all of us hate the ridgeline. In all honesty though i really like the frontier. I think its a great truck, and at the risk of sounding like a heretic i think they are everybit as reliable and tough as the tacoma. I just personally like the tacoma better for looks and resale value. it was just a personal preference. but the fact that they even compared those two trucks to the ridgeline is an insult

4. Nov 30, 2007 at 7:49 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    I hate the Ridgeline (mainly though just b/c of looks, I hear they are supposed to handle very well on and off road) just as much as the next guy but I don't like the frontier any more. Our roommate has a new Frontier and I can't stand his truck, it might have been better with the Nismo pkg but not sure, but driving it, it just feels cheap and sloppy to me.

5. Nov 30, 2007 at 8:04 AM
    rmd0311

rmd0311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    Yeah the sentiment for the Ridgeline seems to be the same accross the board. Yet NY Metro area has so many of them. As far as the Frontier, I test drove it and enjoyed it, even enjoyed the price. But my last two vehicles had been Nissan, I wanted to really steer clear of them.

6. Nov 30, 2007 at 10:50 AM
    semper000

semper000 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
    I think for the most part CR is great for appliances and such, but there ratings for autos at times make me want to laugh. They without a doubt have bias towards certain vehicles. It makes you wander if the same guys does each test year after year. They seemed to always been bias against US and German vehicles, but love the Japanese cars. Especially Hondas. (Exaggerating here a little bit) but they would give a Honda fantastic on everything a knock a Mustang for poor trunk space and towing capacity. Am I really gonna take a family of 4 on a weekend trip getaway in a mustang? Anyway they seem to always overlook any of the Honda's flaws and hammer the negatives of other vehicles. I look the other way when it comes CR options on anything auto.

7. Nov 30, 2007 at 11:08 AM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    the results of their tests and their recommendations dont make much sense when put together, and they seem to judge each truck in different ways and they dont look like they're testing each truck in the same ways, which is the most idiotic way to give a consumer report

8. Nov 30, 2007 at 11:12 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    So, the truck is better than or equal to the competition, but it is rated lower. At least CR still recommends it.

9. Nov 30, 2007 at 11:14 AM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    it's rated lower because the editors are pissed that they spent their money on something else and they're trying to cover their mistakes so they don't look as stupid as they are....that's what the case is in my opinion

10. Nov 30, 2007 at 11:19 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I like the Nissan also. It's just that I'm a victim of vanity. It seems that if you compare Nissan owners to Toyota owners, the Toyota owners just seem so high class. That is why I always was curious why ndcouch drives a toyota...

11. Nov 30, 2007 at 11:24 AM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    haha hey come on ndcouch is our "fearless" leader. i don't like the nissans at all, i think they're hideous

12. Nov 30, 2007 at 11:25 AM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    on that note, i'd drive a ford, dodge OR chevy well before a frontier

13. Nov 30, 2007 at 11:37 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    Ditto except for the dodge part:puke:, I couldn't sell my dodge fast enough to buy my Taco, I actually sold it 3 months before my Taco came in.

14. Nov 30, 2007 at 11:41 AM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    haha i actually traded my 95 dakota in for my taco, it was v8 4wd and i paid 2k for it with 150k miles. i only had it for four months but i never had to do a single thing to it but change the oil, and i beat the living hell out of that truck. i can think of at least 5 times i had it more than 3 feet off the ground lol

15. Nov 30, 2007 at 11:42 AM
    Mudbug

Mudbug Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amsoil 0w-20 engine oil and Amsoil Full synthetic 75w-90 in the Transmission, transfer case, front and rear Differentials. AFE Cold Air Intake
    yeah I almost boughta nissan just because I can get nissan vehicles at 5% below invoice but I just like the way the toyota looks better and they have way better resale.

16. Nov 30, 2007 at 11:46 AM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    the frontiers just look too boxy to me

17. Nov 30, 2007 at 11:57 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I would drive a minivan before a dodge pickup. Those things are ugly...almost as bad as the ridgeline!

18. Nov 30, 2007 at 12:02 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    I was pulled between getting my Tacoma and the Frontier. My dad has a V6 Frontier and the insides seems really cheap. The entire truck seems to made more of plastic than metal. The dash seems cheaply made and put together. The body panels except from the chrome bumpers were also made of plastic. The Tacoma seemed to be put together much better. Which is why I choose the 4cyl Tacoma over the V6 Frontier.

19. Nov 30, 2007 at 2:01 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I dont know what you're talking about, i ooze class out of every oriface of my body.... especially my butt

20. Nov 30, 2007 at 5:25 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Living in Rochester I often deal with gridlock. One day on the way home, (and in gridlock) I noticed a Nissan Frontier 4 door, 4x4 in the next lane. The driver was "observing " my truck. I have to admit his was a nice looking rig, seemed to be identacle to mine except for the color and the badge. I feel he was thinking the same about mine by the nod of acceptance, it was cool. I went to test drive one but the dealer did not have one and the sales staff were jerks. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top