1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Consumer reports strikes again

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Viper-2, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Dec 1, 2007 at 9:25 PM
    Route66Taco

Route66Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rolla, MO
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tacoma
    As some of you may know the Ridgeline is a unibody chasis. Therefore not a real truck. Time will tell, if used like a real truck, if the little spot welds hold together when taking a beating. So, basically you have a Accord with a lift kit and truck tires. Sounds like a rattle/death trap wating to happen.
    As far as the Nissan goes. Great motor and frame. The rest of it can't hold a candle to the Tacoma.
    Side note same parts used on Frontiers are used on Titan. Frame, rear end, brakes the list goes on. The Titan is probably THE WORST truck being built right now. And the Frontier is its brother.

2. Dec 2, 2007 at 4:02 AM
    ellsworth

ellsworth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    6 inch Fabtech, st stabilizers, 18x9 DC -1s 305/65/18 bfg at's
    Ok I have to admit it...My girl has a Ridgeline..A black ex with leather and nav..Heated seats and possibly the worst factory stereo for a honda..None the less its rattle free and as for a death trap check out the fed crash tests on a ridge..A lack of a full frame can be a saving grace with a sudden rapid deceleration (IE CRASH). I like honda cars, like toyota, they have a proved themselves a good buy time after time, I just dont think its a truck..Its more of a unibody elcamino!!!!!

3. Dec 2, 2007 at 9:15 AM
    Route66Taco

Member:
    Rolla, MO
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tacoma
    Give it time. IF they get used as a truck (most won't) time will tear them apart. Have you seen a unibody car that has lived it's life on say just a gravel road? El Camino, that's funny. They just are not real trucks.
    And for those of you who think Consumer Reports is the Holy Grail, well. Let's put it this way. Just because you don't see the actual advertisements in the mags, don't think they don't take in checks from from the automakers. Ford, I think, wrote the largest check this year.
    Consumer Reports losses money each year and at times has almost folded and an automaker comes along and says we can't let this happen and writes a check to save them. Toyota did it for years. Now it Fords turn.

4. Dec 2, 2007 at 12:15 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I don't think Honda is marketing to guys like us, they would certainly sell us one if we were inclined to buy one. My neighbor has one,female with three kids, fits her needs fine. She said she saw my rig, like how functional it is, pow ! please sign here, mam ! As for the Titan, my Brother in law has one, I rode in it two years ago and all seems well. I thought it was a nice rig, a really snotty engine. He is a Boy Scout Troupe leader, pulls the equiptment trailor and told me it's the cats ass when it comes to work. I feel the Tacomas are a better truck, I could not be happier, but I feel the Hondas and the Nissans are decent as well. :humble:

5. Dec 2, 2007 at 1:30 PM
    Route66Taco

Member:
    Rolla, MO
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tacoma
    Most all are decent if taken care of. Try Scrubbing Bubbles for that coffee stain. No shit. Things car detailers don't want you to know.

6. Dec 2, 2007 at 4:06 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    This is exactly my point. We are not Honduh's target audience. As said, the Ridgeline is not a real truck by any stretch of the imagination. We are truck guys and like REAL trucks, not soccer mom mobiles.

7. Dec 2, 2007 at 4:54 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    AWESOME !! You can't tell it was even there ! It had to be there 6 months, I scrubbed that stain until hell wouldn't have it, and really nothing but a little fade. 15 mins with scrubbing bubbles and it was gone, dude much appreciated, next time your in town we go for beers on me! :thumbsup: :bananadance:

8. Dec 2, 2007 at 4:57 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    wow i guess i should try that on those "suspicious" looking stains on my passenger seat. i know what they look like but i honestly don't know how it happened :confused:

9. Dec 2, 2007 at 5:17 PM
    Route66Taco

Member:
    Rolla, MO
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tacoma

Righteous. Sure glad it worked. Never tried it before...just joking.

10. Dec 2, 2007 at 8:17 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    thats the toilet cleaner stuff right? or the sink/countertop/bathtub stuff i guess

11. Dec 2, 2007 at 8:27 PM
    Route66Taco

Member:
    Rolla, MO
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tacoma
    yes. i sell toys for a living and one day i saw one of our detailers with a spray can with no markings and he sprayed it on a headliner and it looked alot like scrubbing bubbles so I called him on it. Sure as shit it was toilet cleaner. Either way it works where ya sit your ass.

12. Dec 2, 2007 at 9:00 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    The key is just them little pac-man looking critters permeate the fabric and eat the stain away from the inside out. It's a scientific fact, and don't let the CIA tell you anythang differnt.

13. Dec 3, 2007 at 4:04 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 [OP] Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    I subscribe to both the website and magazine. If you have any articles or evidence of this I would love to see it since I do subscribe because they are independent. But if you have proof they are not I will reconsider.

14. Dec 3, 2007 at 7:17 AM
    rmd0311

rmd0311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    Consumer Reports lost my vote when they deemed a Graco car seat I bought a death trap. They even went on CNN, and attested to the point defending their decision that it was a death trap, they said that IIHS screwed up when testing it. I had that Graco and liked it. I immediately returned it to walmart and bought a new one. Don't want the youngens in a death trap.

2 weeks later, turns out Consumer Reports was doing the tests all wrong and the seats were fine.

Final Result... Forget Consumer Reports, they SUCK.

15. Dec 3, 2007 at 7:20 AM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Let me guess, the black helicopters monitor you too?

16. Dec 3, 2007 at 9:48 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

How did you know........... you....you....must be one of them....:eek::confused:

17. Dec 3, 2007 at 10:25 PM
    Route66Taco

Member:
    Rolla, MO
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tacoma
    I'll find you the evidence as soon as you find me how they generate the revenue for your mags and sites. If you think subscriptions and over the counter sales pays for printing presses, designers, photographers, writers, evaluations, delivery, electric, gas, pens, pencils & paper clips. You are a quart low. And that's just for the magazine.

Notice I didn't say accountants? Cause the dreamland you live in where Consumer Reports is "Independent" accountants aren't needed cause they don't need money to print a magazine. They have magic elves much like the Keebler Elves. For you we will call them the Consumer Elves. They have to sit on phone books while driving the cars during evaluations. Or even better one works the pedals while the other one steers. LOL LOL.:D

18. Dec 4, 2007 at 3:56 AM
    Viper-2

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods

Whoa, whoa, what's with the attitude brother? I wasn' trying to diss you, I really wanted to know how you knew that CR was not independent.

But they state they are so it seems you made the accusation they are not. That means you have the burden of proof. I've done some searches and I found this: http://www.allpar.com/cr.html

And this: http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Daily_Auto_News/Is_Consumer_Reports_Biased.S173.A4733.html

But that's only about how the ratings of cars may be off and it makes sense.

How they pay their bills is another story. If you have any facts regarding HOW a magazine like CR generates revenue besides subscriptions let us all know and don't be hatin'! :rant: ;)

19. Dec 4, 2007 at 3:59 AM
    Viper-2

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Yeah I remember that, but it was one incident in all the time I have read it. They also had a major retraction and article about it and how it happened. I am pissed that they outsource and that alone makes me wary of them.

BUT, I agree with you...they screwed up there.

I'm just trying to find some evidence they are being paid off by someone other than the subscribers.

For the record, I could give a rats ass about CR really. I do a lot of review searches online when I buy anyway and they sometimes just lead me a direction.

20. Dec 4, 2007 at 5:06 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    That is some great information.

The last time I picked up a Consumer Reports I was 16 years old and dreaming of a new car. Even at that time, I could see huge inconsistencies and errors in their reporting. I trust my own eyes and my own testing and those experiences of my friends and family.

Products Discussed in

To Top