1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

control arm ball joints replace

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lightnin, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Nov 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    lightnin

lightnin [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    west palm beach
    Vehicle:
    05' 4x4
    33'" tires
    Im trying to replace my upper and lower ball joints. toyota says i have to buy the whole control arm as one with the ball joints. And that i cant buy just the ball joints. Original Equipment sold me the upper and lower joints and now I cant get the old ones off. Bought a air press and cant get em off. Was toyota right, I hope i dont gotta go back and tell em they were right cause that would be a first.

2. Nov 24, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
  3. Nov 24, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    Toyota is correct. you have to buy a whole new UCA if you want to replace the ball joints. i dont know about the lowers tho...

4. Nov 24, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    lightnin

lightnin [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    west palm beach
    Vehicle:
    05' 4x4
    33'" tires
    well hows come i was sold the upper and lowers for replacement? I have heard many different opinions from different places and people. I reckon im just gonna have to suck it up and write a check. I hate givin anything to toyota. bought all my parts for my '05 from original equip. And for half of what toyota wanted and and when Toyota said that I could only find them at thier dealership. Rack and pinion seal kit was the only part that i could not find outside toyota.

5. Feb 10, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    1.21jigowatts

1.21jigowatts Member

Member:
    SO CAL
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma sport
    I replaced the upper ball joints in my 2009 tacoma. you do not need to buy the whole uca.:cool:

6. Mar 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    esse10

esse10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    05prerunner SR5 DBLCAB
    wondering how you accomplish that jigowatts? did you had to rent a press or what? can you give us some specifics? part$ tools rented and used. Sure would appreciate it for tne next guy who needs this done to their truck.

7. Mar 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    The uppers can be done with an autozone ball joint press. The lowers are a royal PITA with that style press, but can be done. I recommend taking the LCA off the truck, using the cups from the Autozone rental, on a shop press.
    The clamp press was at its limits when I did my lowers. It was very difficult to get the ball joint started straight. It also took a cheater bar, and tapping on the LCA for it to go in. Use a shop press.

MOOG ball joints for all.

FYI: The uppers will release with a bang, and the whole assembly will come crashing down. Keep your hands on the clamp.

8. Mar 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    sde780

sde780 Well-Known Member

Member:
    A tip for taking the nut off: if the balljoint is spinning freely with the nut apply pressure so that the balljoint is pushed tight against the spindle and it'll "catch" enough for you to take the nut off :)

9. Apr 27, 2014 at 7:43 PM
    Avsfreak24

Avsfreak24 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    ICON 2.5" extended travel coil-overs with SPC Light Racing UCA's up front, replacement leaf spring lift with Bilstein 5100's in back, Rear E-locker with VIair onboard compressor and ARB front locker, Full Relentless Fab skid plate, welded on rock sliders, baja roof rack, bed rack, bull bar with 20" white/amber light bar, round pods on ditch brackets, and yellow pods on roof rack, 40" light bar on roof rack
    I was able to get the ball joint in the UCA out, but am having difficulty with the press on getting the new one in. There isn't enough room on top for the pressure bolt to push the ball joint in. any tips on how to do this without having to remove the UCA would be appreciated!!!

10. Apr 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    You have to rotate the press, so that the forcing screw is on the bottom. Or, remove the upper a-arm.

Products Discussed in

To Top