1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Control Arm Question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by AZarchitect, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Jan 22, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    AZarchitect

AZarchitect [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner TRD SR5 2x4
    Stock
    I can hear squeaking coming from the upper control arm conection points when I have my wife drive and stop as the truck rocks forward the squeaking is coming from this area. Any ideas?

Also the boot on the opposite end is split,,,is that normal?

2. Jan 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The boot should not be split. The UCA is likely no longer lubricated properly because of the split boot, and that is causing the squeaking.

3. Jan 23, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    any pics op?

when ball joint boots burst, dirt eventually gets inside

ball joints dont like dirt

4. Feb 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    AZarchitect

Member:
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner TRD SR5 2x4
    Stock
    Sorry it took so long,,,been busy fixing other stuff and working. Here's the pic of the split boot, it's split all the way around, driver and passenger side. But the rubber is very firm and closes up pretty tight. Still can't be good though. There's plenty of grease in there, but like you said, there is most likely dirt in there as well.

BTW, the squeak is coming from the Driver Side LCA bushings.

20130227_191903.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. Feb 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    If there is no play in the ball-joint, then don't worry about it too much. As far as the control arm bushings. Factory style bushings should not be making any squeeking sounds. You can try and soak down the various moving parts with some HD Silicone Spray to see if you can get the squeek to quiet down. I could also be the shock making the noise.

6. Mar 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    AZarchitect

Member:
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner TRD SR5 2x4
    Stock
    Thanks for the advice on the HD Silicone Spray. I'll try that out. I suspected the shock also, but I replaced them brand new with 4600 Bilsteins. The strut was in good shape. I actually slid all the way undre the truck and pushed the frame rocked the frame and found that the squeak was precisely at the LCU joints where the bushings are. I'm not so worried about it now since the new shocks help keep everything rebound better and doesn't seem as bad unless I let the front end drop off a speed bump.

With the old suspension, just turning a corner would make that LCU squeak from the poor dampening. I'm impressed that the new shocks would make such a significant difference,,,ride feels brand new for an old truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top