1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

convoys of tacomas heading south on i-59?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ZachUA, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Aug 1, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    ZachUA

ZachUA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    In the last few months I've seen convoys of Tacomas headed South on i-59 coming through Alabama. Sometimes there will be a moving truck with one stuffed in the back and flat towing another. Sometimes it will be a regular pickup flat towing another tacoma. The oddest I saw was a moving truck with one in the back, flat towing another, and the one being flat towed had a cab/body/bed sitting ontop of its bed. The time I saw that one there were at least 4 trucks hauling like that in a row.

This morning I saw two moving trucks driving on same road, about a mile apart, headed south with a tacoma in the back. One of them was flat flowing another tacoma with another tacoma minus suspension/running gear sittin in the bed. The one in the bed may have not had the front end on it. I passed them pretty fast. Either way I wonder where all these trucks are going?

2. Aug 2, 2011 at 10:17 PM
    swsl

swsl Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    96 Ext cab 2wd lifted
    new coil lift, rear leafs, 15" wheels, shell, ladder rack

Actually, Guatemala. They have buyers/drivers all over the US and they converge at the texas border where they enter at McAllen- Reynosa. From there, they head S down the Gulf coast in caravans of 10 or so drivers. They also bring school buses, heavy equipment, etc. but the first and foremost import has been Toyota trucks. Usually full of bicycles, washing machines, etc. I think that Guatemala does/did not have a car industry and no prohibitive protective import tax like Mexico. Mexico has had very restrictive import laws but has been manufacturing/selling Nissan intensively for years, for work and public transport every since the VW buses went out. Really Nissan country. Only recently has Toyota started selling (manufacturing?) in the Mexico.

From what I've seen on the highways and confirmed with the border guys, 10-20 Toyota caravans head to Guatemala every day. It's been going on for 15 years at least, I've seen.

Add each caravan with, say, a dozen used Toyota trucks. Add up those numbers x 365 days x 15 years and you'll find a hidden factor affecting the supply and demand pricing for used Toyota trucks in the US.

Products Discussed in

To Top