1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cool jumper cable mod

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mudjunkie, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Aug 3, 2008 at 5:52 PM
    mudjunkie

mudjunkie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    clearwater fl
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx l
    header,short rack and pinion, heavy duty shocks, grill guard, flowmaster exhaust,pacesetter header without catalytic converter, one 10 inch xant sub with a mtx amp, off road lights,diamondplate tool box,rhinolined inside cab,ngk plugwires.
    so i was tire of my jumper cables being behind my seat so i decided to mount them in my engine compartment. i bought a 3 inch u bolt a mounted it on the passenger side right behind my intake box . you will see the holes all i did was coil up the cables put the u bolt through them and tightened em down looks good and now i will always have them.

ps be sure to put the clamps behind the air box so they do not fall into the belst or exaust

2. Aug 3, 2008 at 5:57 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    Cool mod, but do you actually use your jumper cables that much to do something like that? I've had my Tacoma for 2 years and I just now had to use them for someone. But hey, if you've got the time go for it! :)

3. Aug 3, 2008 at 6:00 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
  4. Aug 3, 2008 at 6:00 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Good job, Mudjunkie! Post some pics! :D

5. Aug 3, 2008 at 6:10 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Agree with MotoXFreeStyle61 on this one. How often do you need to use your jumper cables for you to do this mod? If you use it that much then you have other problems you need to take care of. Interesting mod though.

6. Aug 3, 2008 at 6:12 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    Well im sure that mudjuckie doesnt jump his truck he just helps all those other trucks that need help i.e. ford, chevy, dodge and the like. :p

7. Aug 3, 2008 at 6:31 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    EXACTLY what I was going to say... he must have a lot of Ford/Chevy/Dodge-driving friends!

Even w/o, it don't think it's a bad mod. It keeps the space behind his seats open, and it keeps the jumper cables close by. The one time in 2 years that you do need them, you really do NEED them.

8. Aug 3, 2008 at 6:34 PM
    mudjunkie

mudjunkie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    clearwater fl
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx l
    header,short rack and pinion, heavy duty shocks, grill guard, flowmaster exhaust,pacesetter header without catalytic converter, one 10 inch xant sub with a mtx amp, off road lights,diamondplate tool box,rhinolined inside cab,ngk plugwires.
    i do lol but i also have my own business and they come in handy you can also put a tow strap/chain etc there i have used a set of jumper cables to pull out a jeep before so its notthat pointless i will have pics for those who wantthem

9. Aug 4, 2008 at 3:57 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    My husband and I have a set in EVERY vehicle we own. I've used jumper cables more than I've needed a spare tire - and we all carry a spare tire.

That one time that you don't carry one - you'll need it. It's nice to have it to help other people.

10. Aug 4, 2008 at 5:00 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    One setup that I have seen that I liked was. Guy had hooked up some Warn quick connects and mounted them to his bullbar and mounted another in the bed. They were wired directly to the battery and he had a quick connect on one end of his jumper cables. Never has to pop the hood to give anyone a jump.

The quick connects

Pic of the one on the bumper

11. Aug 4, 2008 at 5:01 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    Good Point Janster! ! ! Also that's why we have insurance - and hope we don't need it.:)

12. Aug 4, 2008 at 5:57 AM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    I don't even own jumper cables. When my battery runs out of juice, I just push the truck over the border into mexico or canada, walk back across and call my insurance company and tell them that somebody stole my truck.

Bada-boom-bada-bing Next thing you know I get a fresh new battery, bolted on a fresh new truck

13. Aug 4, 2008 at 6:52 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I always keep jumper cables in my truck. Once I get a toolbox I'll have even more emergency gear with me at all times (simple tools, tow strap, ect.). I'd much rather have more stuff than I need than not have enough when I need it.

Hah. About two summers ago my family was at the beach in My Dads Avalanche (drive on beach) on the 4th of July. Well around 9 o clock the police are kicking everybody off the beach (an hour early) and we go to leave and the battery in the truck is dead. We flag down a cop and ask him to get a us a jump and he replies that he cant and that we should look for someone to jump us (I wanted to strangle his ass) and just drove off. Ended up walking about a 1/4th a mile down beach looking for somebody to jump us. Some guy in a older Ford Explorer jumped us and we went home. Apparently the cops where to busy ticketing people for having fireworks on the beach to actually help somebody*. :mad:

* Note: I am a supporter of law enforcement, this just sadly one of the negative experieces I have had with them.

14. Aug 4, 2008 at 7:41 AM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    Easy way to start fires too! :D

15. Aug 4, 2008 at 7:47 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I traded in my jumper cables with my Lincoln when I bought the Toyota. I'll probably start carrying them in about a year. I doubt the battery will die before year 3.

16. Aug 4, 2008 at 7:49 AM
    montgomery_30824

montgomery_30824 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Guyton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '06 prerunner 4dr
    K & N airfilter, custom built 10" sub boxes, pioneer head, mag-lite mod, Blue LED dash lights, custom painted engine cover, mud flap removal mod, alarm/remote start installed,
    Hah. About two summers ago my family was at the beach in My Dads Avalanche (drive on beach) on the 4th of July. Well around 9 o clock the police are kicking everybody off the beach (an hour early) and we go to leave and the battery in the truck is dead. We flag down a cop and ask him to get a us a jump and he replies that he cant and that we should look for someone to jump us (I wanted to strangle his ass) and just drove off. Ended up walking about a 1/4th a mile down beach looking for somebody to jump us. Some guy in a older Ford Explorer jumped us and we went home. Apparently the cops where to busy ticketing people for having fireworks on the beach to actually help somebody*. :mad:

* Note: I am a supporter of law enforcement, this just sadly one of the negative experieces I have had with them.[/quote]
    from what i understand cops cant jump people off with their cars because it could damage the electronics in the cars. ie radios, radar etc.

17. Mar 27, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    By the way those connectors are Anderson Multipole connectors. They are gettable all over the place.

They are rated for up to 700 amps continuous if you get the right cables and big enough connectors, but the more practical ones are the 320 amp ones. Good for 500 amps for 128 seconds with the right cables, or 320 amp constant.

You can get the normal power poles and snap them together (if you need more than 2 contacts) or just get the 2-contact multipole connectors.

I use them all the time, for hooking up my 2000W inverter, soon winch, etc etc.

They are nice because they only fit one way and are nice and high current.

18. Mar 27, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jumper cables? Maybe in 1985. I keep this behind my seat....

[​IMG]

19. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    trdracing5

trdracing5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5
    Jumper cables???????????? Never heard of them.:D

20. Mar 28, 2011 at 12:28 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein