1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coolant. Red. Pink. Green. ??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gregzz, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Sep 12, 2018 at 7:10 PM
    gregzz

gregzz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma crew cab 4x4 v6 4.0
    Wheels/ tires, tint, level kit. Rock crawler rails. 3- 6" procomp lights with light bar on front bumper. Magnaflow # 12256 stainless muffler. Billet shorty antenna.
    I’m going to drain and fill my radiator this weekend (decided not to drain the block because I don’t want trapped sir pockets) does anyone know exactly how much coolant goes in the radiator in a 2011 V-6 4.0 and if it’s Red or pink or if it matters? I keep seeing both stories online saying it does and does not matter do I need help here and how many gallons I should buy before starting this! I’m thinking it’s one gallon for the radiator? I think? Thanks all

2. Sep 12, 2018 at 7:20 PM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Gnar doggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    Get a couple gallons just to be on the safe side. Whatever you don't use you can keep around for future use. Any good parts store should have some Asian red/pink on the shelf.

You should drain the block though. Of you're worried about air pockets then (carefully) pull one of the heater hoses off the heater valve at the firewall when you fill it. Get back there with a flashlight and look for the heater hose that comes straight from the block, this is the one you want to disconnect right at the heater valve. This will allow a path for air to escape at the far end of the cooling system while you fill a the radiator/front.

I also like using one of those spill funnel kits with the stopper and cap adapters. With the funnel mounted and the heater hose removed you'll be able to hear the air escaping as you fill the system. When the air stops and coolant starts to gurgle out, put the stopper in, connect the heater hose and you're basically done

BassAckwards and gregzz[OP] like this.
  3. Sep 12, 2018 at 7:42 PM
    Grindstone

Grindstone Requires Adult Supervision

Member:
    Cautionary tale: In '07 I was riding with my buddy in his Highlander outside of Ft Hood when smoke/steam started billowing out from under the hood. Long story short, found out that the dealer he got a radiator flush at didn't use the same type of coolant as what he already had in it. Couldn't tell you what was what, but basically the two mixed and gelled, causing a blockage. The radiator then melted.

Ever since, I make it a personal point to always match whatever came with the vehicle. I have yet to flush my Taco's coolant, but currently it's pink.

ETA: While searching for OEM Taco coolant, found this thread:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/antifreeze-coolant-red-pink-green.243410/

gregzz[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 12, 2018 at 8:50 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    I'm pointing to this Amazon example of a Lisle funnel system simply because it was on of the first to come up when I googled. Easiest way I know of to burp air from the cooling system. Countless youtube videos

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24680-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B00A6AS6LY

If you need to get rid of air and your budget does not allow for this kit - elevate the front of the truck with a floor jack - radiator cap off - start engine - warm up and blip the throttle several times - top off coolant. I'm sure the way suggested by b_r_o is also very good.

I like the funnel because there is absolutely no mess, no coolant spill, no dead cats.

gregzz[OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 12, 2018 at 9:00 PM
    Grindstone

Grindstone Requires Adult Supervision

Member:
    [​IMG]

I'm sure there's some chemical engineer lurking about that could answer that.

6. Sep 13, 2018 at 5:17 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    And if you're a previous RX7 owner then you're VERY familiar with that kit due to coolant issues. It really is a great way to get the air out of the system. Letting it run a bit is the best way to get it all out. Just make sure you have the heater on so the core gets flow. Also, you need to make sure the truck warms up too or the thermostat won't even open and the air will have just been circulating around in the block.

gregzz[OP] likes this.
  7. Sep 16, 2018 at 5:52 AM
    gregzz

gregzz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma crew cab 4x4 v6 4.0
    Wheels/ tires, tint, level kit. Rock crawler rails. 3- 6" procomp lights with light bar on front bumper. Magnaflow # 12256 stainless muffler. Billet shorty antenna.
    Just bought 2 gallons of the pink super long life coolant for $40.00 on eBay. Thx all for your advice. Cheers.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Sep 16, 2018 at 6:01 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I just went with flush/fill kit on the heater hose by the brake vacuum booster and green 150k stuff. Flush fill kit gets everywhere since truck is running with heater on while it is flushing. Gets heater core and everywhere in motor. Then just drain radiator, fill with the gallon of straight anti-freeze not 50/50 & then top off with water after using whole gallon of antifreeze. Never an issue with any other vehicle doing this, none with Tacoma.

9. Sep 16, 2018 at 6:47 AM
    MolonLabeTaco

MolonLabeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dude
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4x4 OR
    Red is long life.
    Pink is super long life.
    Prestone’s green is supposedly fine to mix with anything but I wouldn’t.
    Pick one and stick with it. If it’s different than what’s in there now, do a VERY good flushing of the system.
    Don’t use hose water as it’ll put deposits all on the inside of the motor cooling paths and radiator. Use only distilled water.

gregzz[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top