1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Copy of chipped key for entry only

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hardcorehehaw, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Mar 13, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    Hardcorehehaw

Hardcorehehaw [OP] 1 man wolf pack

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray PreRunner
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
    Has anyone gone to homedepot or lowes and had them copy your chipped key for an entry only key?
    I just tried to go get a copy made (I used my valet key) and the lady told me that they're not supposed to do it because it can mess up the computer.
    When I asked how an entry only key can mess up the computer she got a little upset and she seemed like she didn't really know what she was talking about. So she ended up making the key anyway.

Now looking back on it i'm not really sure what she meant.
    Did she mean it would mess up the chip inside the key that was being copied. Or was she trying to tell me it was gonna screw with my truck's computer?

Has anyone made a copy of their chipped key and used it to unlock the door?
    I have the copy and am wondering if I shouldn't try it.
    I don't see how using a copied key to unlock the door is gonna mess up my truck's computer, but my tacoma is only 2 weeks old and I don't wanna fuck it up.

2. Mar 13, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    thecoldone06

thecoldone06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wouldn't think it would mess anything up. But if its two weeks old and it does mess something up, the dealer doesn't need to know you made a copy. :D

3. Mar 13, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    Hardcorehehaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
  4. Mar 13, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Honestly, how can it mess up your trucks computer? It can't. It will either work or not work. The comp will either recognize it as the key for the truck or it won't.

5. Mar 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Yeah, I dont see how it cause any problems either. It seems like it would either work, or not.

6. Mar 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    I've had it done.....Relax Francis. I too was "advised" that what I had was a chip key and that the copy being made was going to be entry only. It was his store's policy to have to "advise" me of this. I had it done at a local Lowe's. I keep one key nicely tucked away in my wallet and the other.....tapedshut.gif

Best bet is if you continue to get some doubt from the key person at the box (gigidy) store, go to a locksmith and tell him/her what your intentions are.

Easy Cheesy!!!

7. Mar 13, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I prefer using real locksmiths whenever I can. I hate dealing with the morons that can be easily found in Lowe's and Home Depot.

8. Mar 13, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    Hardcorehehaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    I just tried it and it worked fine for opening the door. The truck cranked right up with the normal key and ran fine.
    Of course I didn't try to start the truck with the copied key, as that would surely have activated the engine immobilizing system.

9. Mar 13, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    Hardcorehehaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    I'm an amateur lock smith. I picked up a set of lock picking tools from www.southord.com for $8 and enjoy sitting down and picking various types of locks. I haven't tried anything crazy like vehicle doors or deadbolt locks yet, but master locks and other small locks are easy as pie.

10. Mar 13, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    This has been talked about before, all this key yip yap. Use the Search Luke!!!.

Any-a-hoo.....put the chip key in your pocket and try starting the truck with the new entry key. I've done it. (short pockets). See how close you have to get to get the truck to start. Others have placed the chipped key on the dash and it started.

Just stuff to do when there is nothing to do.

Products Discussed in

To Top