1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Corner light condensation

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Frostbyte, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Feb 11, 2016 at 1:08 AM
    Frostbyte

Frostbyte [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD OR Manual
    SOLD - 03 Black SR5 4x4 TRD OR RIP - 07 Radiant Red SR5 4x4 TRD Sport Fabtech 6" lift, 33x12.50.18 Toyo M/T on All black XD Hoss wheels
    So my corner lights get quite a bit of condensation in them in the winter. I don't want to replace them due to being really clear, considering the condensation... that being said, would a bead of silicon around the backside edge of the light fix this problem? Any other ideas?

-Erik

2. Feb 11, 2016 at 10:11 AM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    sealing the plastic to lens mating points as well as checking/replacing the bulb o-ring should fix it

3. Feb 12, 2016 at 10:45 PM
    alphabravo

alphabravo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Supercharger AntiDark Hood Light Redline Tuning Hood Struts Morimoto Projectors Grey Wire Mod Tundra 13WL Brake Conversion EBC ED Pads and GD Rotors Mean Green Starter DC Power 250A Alternator Odyssey PC2150 Battery, Artec Cage ADS shocks Total Chaos UCA ComeUp Winch, Factor 55 Splicer Relentless bumpers OTRATTW Switches, Bussman 15304-2-2-4 RTMR, Paranoid Fabrication switch brackets Jensen JHD3630BT Morimoto XB LED Fogs Deaver Custom Springs Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels, Pro Series TRD Wheels
    Check the lens closely for cracks. Also that the vent in the rear is not plugged and has the rubber hose attached. Plus the gasket bulb gasket.

4. Feb 13, 2016 at 11:33 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    you don't want to do this unless there is a separation of the lens from the housing or a crack on the front that is letting rain water into it

if you completely seal the light, it creates condensation as the light warms and cools the lens. if its sealed and cant vent out this moisture, the light slowly fills with water.

when you see condensation building up in the lights, it just means the vent on the back side of the housing is blocked up and it needs to be cleaned out.

5. Feb 13, 2016 at 2:38 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    Nah, there is a breather hole on the back. OP should check the rubber cover over it though to make sure it's still there

6. May 9, 2016 at 11:05 AM
    blind cowboy

blind cowboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Auburn CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 TRD XC 5sp
    I know this thread is a little old but I found it when searching for lens moisture in the corner lights. I took mine off yesterday and found the breather hole. The rubber cover isn't really a cover but just a piece of rubber tubing that holds on a piece of red cloth that goes over the end of the breather tube. I'm thinking the red cloth is some type of membrane that keeps water out but let's moisture escape. I tried to clean it up but it is only about 3/8'' square. If problem persists I thought I would replace it with a small piece of Tyvek which should do the same thing.

7. May 9, 2016 at 2:46 PM
    prayzhm

prayzhm Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD
    I just put in an order for brand new OEM corner lights and turn signals from Amazon and the corner lights only set me back $25 for the pair! Definitely worth the investment if they are of quality, will find out in a few days.

Products Discussed in

To Top