1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Corolla Suspension Help

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Taco Salad Sport, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Oct 16, 2016 at 12:55 PM
    Taco Salad Sport

Taco Salad Sport [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sport DCSB 4x4
    Hello everyone,

Taco is fine (*wipe forehead*) but my wife's car has a nasty suspension noise, so I came to the best forum ever to ask for help. Hopefully someone can help because I have inspected absolutely everything!!

It is a straight up "CLUNK" noise from the front driver side area.
    No noise when turning the wheel.

I have 2" lowering springs and struts I installed 5+ years ago. IMO the struts look fine, sway bar and control arms look great too. The lower ball joint looks kind of oily, could that be it? Strut mounts look great too. None of my rubber boots on suspension/CV's are ripped. Pushing the front end of the car down doesn't reproduce the noise.

I also revved the engine in FWD +Reverse to check for motor mounts. What do you think?

See pictures + video below. I really appreciate any help you awesome sauce people can provide!

https://youtu.be/tLaEYubPO8M
    https://youtu.be/gQ0_t-4dDr4

IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2515.jpg
    IMG_2516.jpg
    IMG_2520.jpg
    IMG_2525.jpg
    IMG_2526.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  2. Oct 16, 2016 at 4:34 PM
    Taco Salad Sport

Member:
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sport DCSB 4x4
    Bump for help

3. Oct 26, 2016 at 10:12 AM
    GPsevinSixx

GPsevinSixx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    6112/5160AALfnCNTSTRyokG015
    Hey Taco Salad. I'd check the spring isolators. I can barely hear it in the video, but does it only occur when you hit a bump? Can't recall if you mentioned worn bushings or not, but check those too. The loose springs will make a clunk similar to that when hitting a solid enough bump, but not when you're turning or driving on a smooth road. The upper shock mount pivot base may have bushings also, usually called a jounce bumper or something like that, make sure they're not deteriorated and crushed.

4. Oct 26, 2016 at 10:19 AM
    speedjunkie13

speedjunkie13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    a work in progress
    A clunk noise can be lots of things, but the first things i would be looking at is the sway bar bushings, balljoints, and the bushings in the lower control arms. they can seperate and allow the arm to hit the subframe. Also sway bar links, but those normally make more of a rattle type noise, not so much a clunk. How have you checked the front end? you can't just visually look at front-end components. You need to be grabbing hold of stuff and feeling for play. Also helps to use a pry bar on things like balljoints. sometimes sway bar bushings feel ok with the wheels in the air, but when the wheels are on the ground the you can feel some play between the bar and bushing. those can sound much worse than they really are.

5. Oct 30, 2016 at 10:59 AM
    Taco Salad Sport

Member:
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sport DCSB 4x4
    After replacing the strut mount and checking every single suspension piece to no avail, I bit the bullet (for the first time ever) and took my car to a mechanic... 3.5 hours of them looking at it and apparently my brake caliper bolt had sheared. If you check it with a wrench it seems tight, but it was bouncing all over the place. $47 later and I'm good to go. Thanks for your help!

scottalot likes this.
  6. Oct 31, 2016 at 10:42 AM
    speedjunkie13

speedjunkie13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    a work in progress
    Glad you got it sorted! Thanks for letting us know what you ended up finding, that's a pretty unique failure.

scottalot likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top