1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Costco winter gas - poor mpg?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BackCountry, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Jan 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM
    BackCountry

BackCountry [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD
    Hey Folks,

I haven't given much thought to gas quality and I'm still getting to know this truck, however lately I have been giving a lot of thought to gas mileage.

I'm not much of a number cruncher and I haven't been very diligent with tracking my KM's to Litres. However I know that I usually get around 425ish KM on a tank, and that's with about 12 litres left.

Lately I've been filling at Costco because it's close and usually about 5 cents cheaper. After my most recent fill, I noticed my MPG was suddenly very poor and I had to re-fill before 350km. On suspicious of gas, I filled at Shell and I'm now on track for one of my best ever mpg/tanks.

Highly anecdotal at best. But a little googling seems to suggest that Costco gas especially the winter formula has lots of ethanol and can be a cause of poor gas mileage.

I'm assuming Costco must have recently switched over to a winter formula? Anyone else notice a sudden big difference in their gas?

I did recently have a o2 sensor replaced, but the extreme drop was a few fills after.

2. Jan 7, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Did you get your precious photos ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I usually get 425 kms when the light comes on , but I haven't used the Costco gas , but my best mileage has always been with the Shell 91

3. Jan 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Costco and Sam's/Walmart are going to run a higher ethanol content since it's a cheap octane booster.

I've had Costco summer gas "turn" in 3 months stored in jugs for my dirtbike.
    Dad used to have a 5 gallon jug for the mower that he'd refill maybe once every 2 years back in the 70s.
    Back to my dirtbikes, Chevron holds for 6 months without problems.

4. Jan 7, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    cdthiker

cdthiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    WAY north Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma RC 4X4 5speed
    gotta love that winter blend....
    I have had this problem with my 2010 Subaru... the 12taco seems to be less picky....

5. Jan 7, 2013 at 10:46 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    I get gas at the same places all year long...... WaWa and Turkey Hill.

Winter gas blends are different than summer gas blends.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/summer-fuel1.htm

My truck will lose 2mpg every winter....no matter what gas I use. I will run 17-18mpg in the summer and 15-17 in the winter. And no...it does not have anything to do with 'warming' the truck up.

For some reason, I think Toyota's (our trucks - or atleast mine) gets worse mileage in winter. My husbands Acura isn't affected by the gas. ????

6. Jan 8, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    vicali

vicali tirekicker

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 1E7
  7. Jan 8, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes...

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    in the forest
    Vehicle:
    99 - 3.4L V6 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's front and rear, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners, CVT Mt. Bachelor RTT, custom bed rack & CBI sliders
    I hate Costco gas. I would fill up there occasionally but a couple of years ago I filled up about 2/3 of a tank right before a trip to Yellowstone and haven't been back since. About 40 miles into the trip my engine developed a knock and was idling really rough, scared the crap out of me. My usual Yellowstone route takes almost a full tank of gas and I would usually just have my town in sight when my low fuel light went on. Well this trip it came on 40 miles early. I ran around the next day trying to burn off as much of the gas as I safely could and then went to an ethanol free station and filled up with premium. Truck started to run like normal almost instantly and that was the last time I bought gas from Costco. And that was with regular, summer blend!

That being said all winter blend gas sucks and I see about a 10 to 15% drop in gas mileage every winter.

8. Feb 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    Dave Russell

Dave Russell Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    I'm not up on winter/summer gas but I keep track of my mileage and when I switch over to winter tires it goes from 23-24 down to 19-20 MPG. My winter rubber is Toyo Open Country MTs 245/75/16. Summer I run Yokohama Parada 265/50/20's. I always buy gas at the same co-op. My Taco is a 07 extra cab 4x4 V6 6 sp. I run the tires at the same pressure winter/summer so I'm guessing the difference may be the rubber compound and the tread design. This pattern has repeated for 3 years now and the change happens with the first fill up after the tire swap. That's my 2 bits worth.

9. Feb 15, 2013 at 1:17 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    My truck is an 07 and is totally stock.....and I've had it since new.

Every year / winter ...doesn't matter where I get my gas or what tires I've been running (on my 2nd set of tires)....the mileage always drops 2-3mpg with the winter gas. Doesn't matter what octane I use or what tire pressure I run...... I'm accepted it 'as normal' for this truck. And believe me, I don't understand it either. I've never had a vehicle that was affected by gas like this one has.

To Top