1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Couple of generic Gen 2 Questions....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by guitars&tacos, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Aug 25, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    guitars&tacos

guitars&tacos [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Metro Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2018 White TRD 4x4 Off Road 6 MT
    I have had two Gen 1 Tacos and now have an 08 TRD 4 Door Prerunner. I bought it used with 32k miles on it.

My 2004 4Runner had a 5 speed auto and there was a VERY certain way to change the transmission fluid with a VERY specific kind of fluid. Does this truck have the sealed transmission that uses world standard fluid that you rarely if ever change? Mine is a 5 speed auto.

Also, I am curious if I should change the spark plugs and rear dif fluid. I know I just bought it as a "certified" used, but I dont trust that the dealer actually changed the rear diff and such.

Also, what are your opinions on starting with synthetic motor oil at 32,000 miles?

Finally, I am unfamiliar with the shifting patterns of this Gen Tacoma and this one happens to be the only Automatic Tacoma I have owned. Again, my 4 Runner had a feature where the tranny would sense a long downhill descend and would shift into a lower gear automatically. My 08 Taco seems to do this as well, but almost seems to do it too much. I can be slowing down on a straight away about to stop at a redlight and the truck will downshift. Maybe this is the way these are. If so, then cool. I am just not used to this and since I bought it used I had to ask if it was normal.

2. Aug 25, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Congrats on the new purchase.

3. Aug 25, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    prae

prae Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 SR5 BSP DCLB
    Bilstein 5100s, eibach springs, AAL, TRD anthracite FJC rims, PIAA Fogs, Pace-Edwards hard rolling tonneau
    30k recommended service includes replacing the plugs, air filter, changing fluids in fr&rear diffs, and lubing the driveshafts

unless the dealer has shown you an invoice with those items, I'd do them. They're all very easy for a DIYer.

ForTech wrote a great Howto on Toyotanation regarding the transmission and how to change the fluid. You have another 30k before I'd even consider changing it.

edit:

I switched to synthetic at about 25k miles with no ill effects

4. Aug 25, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    guitars&tacos

guitars&tacos [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Metro Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2018 White TRD 4x4 Off Road 6 MT
    Gotcha... The reason I am trying to make 100% sure about the tranny is because I had my 04 4Runner serviced and they just drained and refilled with regular fluid. I took it in 10,000 miles later due to funny new shift patterns and they said that it was not changed and refilled properly.
    I DO NOT want to run into this again. I ended up suing the place that "serviced" it before. That ordeal sucked!

5. Sep 12, 2010 at 12:40 AM
    GearBox

GearBox I hate Commie Libs!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gear
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    So I got 75K miles on my 2006 taco... If I switch to synthetic I will be ok and not develop any leaks? I have heard that multiple times that it could develop leaks and I don't know if that was a myth or what.

Products Discussed in

To Top