1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cover letters?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by bethes, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Oct 20, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    bethes

bethes [OP] Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    In the last week 3 former co-workers have approached me about positions available at their current companies (hiring anywhere from "before January" to "Februrary-ish"). I have kinda been looking for a new job, but mostly for jobs that I would be qualified for after I get my master's degree (which should be in May). I have no idea why I am suddenly so special, but whatever. I'll take it!

So these people have already suggested me for the jobs, discussed my experience, and talked me up a bit to their bosses. I generally always attach a cover letter but usually that's to introduce myself to a company or hiring manager who has never heard of me and has no idea why they should hire me. I am leaning toward including a cover letter just to direct their attention to items I want to highlight. Do I need cover letters here? Thoughts and opinions?

2. Oct 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    NWTacoGuy

NWTacoGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Fabtech 6", xd addicts/35x11.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black badges, Pioneer HU, 11' grille, ect ect ect....
    A cover letter will definitely showcase your professionalism as well as give the hiring manager the best points of why they should/should not hire you. You can definitely make a much better impression with a well balanced cover letter!!

3. Oct 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    GTechoma

GTechoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport DCLB 4WD
    EGR inchannel vent visors, OEM bed mat, Wet Okole front and back seat covers, BFG AT's
    X2... I think the cover letter can only help you. Best of luck!

4. Oct 20, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Can't hurt.i'd rather do more then needed then chance it.

5. Oct 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    yes! you should put one because it will show you are intelligent, and can write professionally, granted you can spell and put together a sentence... haha

6. Oct 20, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    x3

7. Oct 20, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    X4

But keep it short and to the point, they don't want to read essays.

8. Oct 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
  9. Oct 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Good luck, by the way.
    It seems like the economy is truely picking up, because I have heard more and more people getting approached by head hunters or friends regarding new positions.

10. Oct 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    bethes

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    TW has spoken!

Thanks guys. I am lucky to work in an industry that has continued to be relatively strong even through the worst of the economic doldrums. That's not to say it doesn't go through its own boom/bust cycles and slows down like everything else. I'm early in my career, and I'm not used to people approaching me about jobs, I've always had to go out and hunt them down. I'm surprised at some of the former co-workers who have approached me, definitely reinforces that you should be kind and helpful even to coworkers you don't especially like. Not only is it just the right thing to do, but you never know if it might help you down the road.

11. Oct 23, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Any one know a link that has good examples of CL's?

Personaly I hate writing CL's. I never know if anyone ever reads them or not. I send out a lot of resume's, but I notice they get a quick scan and that's about it.

12. Oct 23, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    one of the wisest things my sister ever did was to make copies of every GREAT resume and cover letter that came across her desk.

format is easy..crafting the words is the challenge.

13. Oct 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    bethes

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    I'm not so sure how awesome my cover letters are. I must be doing something right, my record on this last round of resume submissions was 8 interviews from 10 submitted resumes.

As far as my resume goes, my cousin is a professional typesetter, and a huge part of her business is writing and designing resumes. She's even written a couple books about it. My graduation gift from her was her services writing and designing my resume. It's something I seriously recommend for a job search, a professionally-designed resume definitely catches the eye as you go through a stack of resumes.

14. Nov 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    Beeyelluh

Beeyelluh iz in ur accountz payin ur billz

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 3.4L V6 4X4 XCAB
    No offense, but granted this is the case, then do it. If writing isn't your strong suit... best to highlight your other strengths in person or on paper! :D

15. Nov 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    You obviously already have your answer, but yea, you should always include one regardless IMO. I even had one when I was applying for a position where my cousin was a manager in the department. It's never going to hurt you (unless you somehow make yourself sound like a moron lol) but could definitely be seen as a major omission if you don't include it.

16. Nov 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Covers are good. Keep them short. Introduce yourself, and give a few highlights. That should be all.

17. Nov 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    Taco42

Taco42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    St. Louis Area
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD DCSB Off Road 4x4
    OME lift w/Nitrocharger Sports, 885 coils, Dakar leaf pack, carrier bearing drop, 5mm driver side spacer (no more Taco Lean), Light Racing UCAs, TRD Beadlock 16" wheels, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/75R16s, TRD Exhaust, TRD skid plate, AntennaX shorty, AFE Drop-In dry filter, Custom Axleboy light bar w/PIAA 520 fogs, Custom black leather seats
    A little late to the party, but wanted to throw out my 2¢ as well...

My background: I'm a hiring manager for a Fortune 50 company. I hire engineers for $60K-$150K/yr careers.

My experience: Cover letters are ignored. If your resume doesn't speak for itself, I'm not going to read your cover letter. And if your resume does speak for itself, I don't need the cover letter - I'll call you if your qualifications fit the job needs or if something interesting in your resume sparks my curiosity. Focus on editing the content of your resume so it speaks for itself rather than trying to express yourself in a cover letter. And grammar counts.

When a resume comes to me, it's been copied and pasted from a digital format on our jobs site or Monster or some other job site. I rarely see the original formatting, so again, your resume should speak for itself even if the whole thing is formatted in 10pt Helvetica with no paragraph breaks. Only focus on formatting if you're sending a PDF directly to a hiring manager (because you have an acquaintance with that person) or if you're handing someone a paper resume. Otherwise, simple is better and tends to get munged less when copied/pasted it into a web form.

I realize that all industries are different, but hiring managers for large companies tend to approach reviewing candidates in the same way. Your resume is your shot at getting the job, not its formatting and not your cover letter. Focus your attention accordingly.

Hope that helps and good luck!

:cheers:

To Top