1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

crafty rear 'tint' alternative (reg cab)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zombot, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Jul 10, 2008 at 9:01 PM
    zombot

zombot [OP] Scavenger

Member:
    savannah
    Vehicle:
    08 white debadged panda
    bull bar and offroad lights, tool box and other minor storage mods
    I was catching some serious glare in my rear window, the slight curve of the glass was reflecting the white of my hood, making it difficult to see sometimes!
    i'm not much of a traditional tint kinda guy, and i knew if i spread on some glossy tint it would just reflect it the same.

so i thought about that perforated vinyl- the kind that you see outdoor scenes or american flags printed on for back windows.
    but i'm not much for those with pictures either. and online that stuff can get pricey....and i couldn't find a solid color anywhere.

then i saw walmart had some mossy oak camo rolls of the stuff- for only about 14 bucks.
    grabbed that, and a can of krylon fusion satin black spraypaint and gave it about 3 coats,
    just to make sure i had filled in all the white edges in the holes.-

so the first attempt, i stuck it to the outside of the window- as instructed.
    but what they don't say is that when it rains, those holes hold water- totally obscuring your vision.- in a non-safe as well as annoying way.
    not only that, but it didn't solve the glare issue since the interior of the glass was still facing me unchanged.
    it only took me one day to catch on.

so, 14 bucks later i bought another roll, putting it INSIDE the cab this time. the regular cab tacoma is so long and skinny,
    i could have used what was left over from the first roll if i had cut the shape out wisely, but i had just cut from the middle.

so here's a pic from the interior. don't mind the glare- this is direct sunlight and from an angle you'll never see when driving.
    i highly recommend this as a tint alternative, and it matches some of the textures of the 08 dash and door interiors as well.rear-window_631df6ed721e054abc38d62a9477d073c31259d9.jpg

literally stick it on one side and work your way across gently but firmly. it's really forgiving.
    then use a small razor to rough out the edges, and you can even push and smooth the edge (if uneven) using a credit card or similar under the ceiling and paneling lip.
    the window from the rear has a thick black edge that conceals any mistakes that are behind the lips.
    and the best part is, the adhesive side (now facing out) already COMES black.

2. Jul 10, 2008 at 9:07 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    good job!!! plus its camo............i like!!!

3. Jul 10, 2008 at 9:08 PM
    zombot

zombot [OP] Scavenger

Member:
    savannah
    Vehicle:
    08 white debadged panda
    bull bar and offroad lights, tool box and other minor storage mods
    well, mine's satin black now- what you see is my back yard.
    and the mossy oak camo print has the logo in the middle, no matter how you cut it, it will be in your window.
    so you may want to paint it unless you are keen on the branding.

i should also say, it's been on since february and has not bubbled, wrinkled or sagged. good stuff.

4. Aug 14, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    IluvTEA

IluvTEA Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Super White
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    Thread revival...

I was wondering if anyone else has used the perforated window tint before.

I was thinking it might look good if I it was white for the outside and black on the inside. I tried looking online, but they don't have any solid colors, so I'm guessing I'd have to paint it like the OP did. did anyone have any pictures or reviews of the perforated window tint? I'm curious how well it works.

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top