1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crashnburn80's Tesla Model 3 Performance Longer Range Build

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by crashnburn80, May 13, 2022.

1. Oct 26, 2023 at 7:21 PM
    Green Jeans

Green Jeans 6MT AC TRD OR 1GR-FE FTMFW

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
    Did a run across the pass today for a trip into the valley. Winter shoes aren’t on the wife’s Y so we took the Tacoma. I’m interested on how your new set does this winter. I’m considering going back to a studded set for her next year but these may be the reason not to.

We’re running Hakka R5 EV for winter months currently.

[​IMG]

2. Oct 26, 2023 at 9:58 PM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    Tint the windows on that fishbowl

JasonLee and d.shaw like this.
  3. Oct 27, 2023 at 10:09 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Holy sipes batman! Mounted these Pirelli performance winter tires up today.

IMG_2630.jpg

The tread depth and aggressiveness on these winter tires is extreme. I'm actually surprised Pirelli somehow made these lighter (by 1lb/tire) than their highest performance summer tire. The car practically looks like it is rocking ATs, and these are supposed to be far sticker as one of the very few exotic car high performance winter tires. This is a brand new release of the EV version of this tire. Also worth noting this is a directional tire.

Ironically today I saw another M3P with the same tires mounted on the Tesla Sport wheels and definitely did the double take.

4. Oct 30, 2023 at 6:09 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I love it when the opportunity arises to use new tools. Today was that day.

I have all my battery tools standardized on the DeWalt 20/60v Flex standard. I saw DeWalt had a portable air compressor using 20v batteries where you set the desired pressure and the pump fills to the specified pressure and shuts off. I knew this would be useful and loved the idea of the unrestricted portability. The idea of having to do a position dance with the Tacoma and Tesla to use the compressor hooked to the Tacoma's 12v battery to inflate a tire on the Tesla was not appealing.

When the Tesla tires were swapped to the winter Pirellis, one tire was under filled to 32 PSI when spec is 42 PSI. So I broke out the Dewalt 20v air compressor.

IMG_2680.jpg

So easy to use being battery portable and set-and-forget pressure with auto-shutoff.
    IMG_2682.jpg

While the pump wouldn't be ideal for filling aired down large off-road tires at the trailhead, it was great for a quick fill on the Tesla tire.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  5. Oct 30, 2023 at 7:08 PM
    daveeasa

daveeasa FBC Harness Solutions Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma OR DCSB 6MT, 2005 RC 5MT PreRunner, 2002 Tundra SR5 RCLB 4x4
    Yeah, I just used mine when swapping to winters on the Odyssey. Cool tool.

crashnburn80[OP] likes this.
  6. Nov 13, 2023 at 7:50 AM
    Charlylawr

Charlylawr Member

Member:
    It's always fascinating to see how the Tesla community comes together to share experiences and insights. Swapping out summer and winter tires is undoubtedly a wise move, particularly in regions with challenging winter conditions. I'm sure crashnburn80's Tesla Model 3 Performance with its new winter setup is well-prepared for the upcoming season.
    Speaking of Tesla upgrades, have you ever considered enhancing your Tesla Model Y interior? It's amazing how a few interior tweaks can transform your driving experience. Whether it's custom mats, seat covers, or other accessories, they can add a touch of luxury and personalization to your ride.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    crashnburn80[OP] likes this.
  7. Nov 13, 2023 at 10:12 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Elon
    I am ordering the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 AS this week. I only put on maybe 5k miles a year so no sense of swapping them around constantly. I guess I will keep my stocks as back-ups?

doublethebass likes this.
  8. Nov 13, 2023 at 6:22 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    The winter tires were more a necessity of wanting to run the max performance summer tires which are not suitable to even be present in cold weather, much less driven on. I do really like these Pirelli winter tires though, they seem very grippy and also very quiet. I was concerned with the high void in the pattern that it would produce more road noise. I of course could have gone with an all-season for winter, but if changing them out for winter I might as well go with a dedicated winter tire. And when Pirelli released these winter tires for high performance sports cars in an EV version and they were ultra light, it was a no-brainer. While I'd certainly drive the Tesla in light snow, any heavy snow duty will be relegated to the 1st Gen Tacoma.

That's the route I initially took too going to an AS. But I just can't help myself in maximizing the performance and those summer only performance Pirellis are just so sticky. You keep with 20s on the uberturbines?

IMG_2753.jpg

Took a ride in my co-workers new dual motor performance Rivian R1T today. Really cool truck. I had originally ordered the quad-motor version before bailing on it for the Tesla and 1st Gen Tacoma. Even with the AT tire options it's quieter than my model 3 refresh. Not quite as quick. Much more info is available to use user about the vehicle in the Rivian vs Tesla, such as battery temp, motor temps ect, which in the Tesla you need to be in track mode on a performance model to get for the 3/Y. It also displays power output and regen power input per wheel, which was very interesting. At cruise the Rivian is FWD, no power to the rear wheels, which I thought was fascinating. FWD configuration is safer for control, and many mechanical AWD systems work similarly to optimize efficiency, though the better ones keep power to all 4 wheels at all times. I do like the mechanical door handles on the 3/Y over handles that electronically "present" like on the Rivian and S/X.

One of the things my coworker noted is that the Rivian takes much longer to charge than his Tesla Y Long Range, due to the much larger battery pack, and still won't travel as far as the Y. The significantly longer charging, no access to the Supercharger network and using coil resistance heat which consumes 2x the energy of Tesla's heat pump heat all contribute to more range/charging stress/planning on long trips. Rivian is switching to the Tesla charge standard in 2025 and sound like will have access to the charging network but TBD on what that looks like. Really cool to see the competing products come to market. I'm definitely looking forward to Rivian's next smaller truck come to market as the R1T is more 3/4 size than mid-size.

Coolerman and T-Rex266[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Nov 13, 2023 at 6:38 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    First Name:
    Elon
    Yep, for now. One day I’ll end up with a Plaid so won’t dump too much into this. Do you the weight differences between the stock summer ones vs the PS AS ones off-hand by chance?

10. Nov 13, 2023 at 6:40 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    First Name:
    Elon
    I wonder if Tesla will come out with an OTA update for the extra info? Other than track mode, you can probably enter service mode to see all of those and more, but that would be a hassle opposed to real time info at the click of a button, on demand.

11. Nov 13, 2023 at 6:50 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I'd love a Plaid, but I also like the smaller size of the 3.

The stock summer Pirelli 20s weigh 23lbs. The Pilot Sport 4 AS is 24lbs. The real offender in that setup though is the 32lb uberturbines.

Tesla certainly could. The Tesla interface is a lot cleaner/simpler in display though I doubt they would be inclined to. Really while the information is interesting and I like all the data, there isn't a whole lot to use it for outside of tracking the car for optimum performance.

T-Rex266[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Nov 25, 2023 at 5:56 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Tesla at Bellevue Square just received the first Cybertruck in the area yesterday. So of course had to go see it.

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_2874.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

It actually doesn’t look bad from the front angles IMO (unorthodox design aside). But the rear overhang is too long and makes the truck look too long and not proportionate. It has a 6.5’ bed, I think keeping it to a standard 6’ bed or even slightly shorter would make the truck look more balanced. Also weird, the ugly wheel spoke design is carried into the matching tire sidewall tread. Those tires will have to be perfectly aligned with the wheels to not look out of place. Also, that is one huge wiper.

Coolerman, doublethebass and T-Rex266 like this.
  13. Nov 25, 2023 at 6:06 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Hard pass for me even w great specs and competitive price.

14. Nov 30, 2023 at 9:48 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    In case you missed it today, the Cyber Truck launch:

https://www.youtube.com/live/ddzZMUoXzDM?si=cBXCxGle_G-hhQXo

The 2 things I find most interesting.
    1) Tesla has gone to steer by wire. No mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels. Now all modern aircraft do this, but I'm not aware of any passenger vehicles.
    2) Tesla is ditching the 12v electrical system found in every passenger vehicle and moving to a 48v base system. At the same time going from a 400v drivetrain system to an 800v drivetrain system.

Lesser, the longer range 'range extender' option seem to be though an extra battery stored in the bed. Otherwise the truck has similar range as model 3 variants.

T-Rex266 and doublethebass like this.
  15. Nov 30, 2023 at 10:06 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
  16. Dec 3, 2023 at 8:38 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Coolerman, tacoma_ca and Green Jeans like this.
  17. Dec 3, 2023 at 11:01 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    what do you think about EEs video about bigger wheel isn’t better for EV range? https://youtu.be/NYvKxsYFqO8

they must need to pay off the charger and install.

there is one coming… it even looks a bit like an 80s Toyota. https://www.alphamotorinc.com/wolf

18. Dec 3, 2023 at 11:14 PM
    Just_A_Guy

Just_A_Guy I miss snow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    A truck
    Saw a Cybertruck on the road last week.

It looked like an amateur built the thing in their garage.

OSUTacoma likes this.
  19. Dec 3, 2023 at 11:23 PM
    CraigF

CraigF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Oak Grove, OR
    Vehicle:
    06 AC PR OR 4.0L
    none yet
    [QUOTE="JasonLee, post: 29364481, member: 129454"

there is one coming… it even looks a bit like an 80s Toyota. https://www.alphamotorinc.com/wolf[/QUOTE]

feels like they're trying to sell an experience over a truck, but it looks better than most of the others

20. Dec 4, 2023 at 6:22 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    It's on target. Tesla's site will show you the range changes as you change wheel sizes, every step up in wheel size results in a reduction in published range. One of the things he did not cover was the design of the wheel itself, whether it is open spoke or an aero design, the later can improve range by 4% in a Model 3. I stepped down from the factory 20x9 wheels to 19x8.5s in part for range improvement, as well as sidewall durability, both important when driving across state in remote areas with no spare. 18s would do even better, but I also want to balance sporty looks with handling and range.

It is a 3rd party for profit charging company. Tesla used to (not sure if they still do) install designation chargers for free to businesses at request, then they are free to use. Non-Tesla vehicles can use them as well if they have the adapter. Now I just charge at other spots a short walk away that are free instead. I wouldn't be surprised if the association just didn't do their homework.

All manufactures abandoned the mid-size single cab because they don't sell and it makes vehicles cheaper to offer fewer frame/body configurations. Most private individuals trucks are multi-purpose and single cab trucks are very single purpose.

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in that company yet. They were founded in 2020 and have produced 1 prototype vehicle several months ago this year. They have a lot of realistic looking concept renderings, but no products. And that concept vehicle truck is in the single cab formation that all the major automotive manufactures have decided is not profitable in mid-size, plus the specs are pretty underwhelming. Wouldn't be surprised if they go bankrupt before full production, like so many EV startups.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    JasonLee[QUOTED] and T-Rex266 like this.
To Top