1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crawler Box Splines keep stripping.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by feesquivel, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Nov 13, 2019 at 5:13 PM
    feesquivel

feesquivel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Texas
    Hey guys, I am in a pickle and was wondering if some of you guys that have dealt with the marlin's crawler tacobox have ran into this same issue and if there is a possible solution. Not trying to discredit Marlin Crawler, I do believe they build a solid product and they stand by it.

Started with a 2007 tacoma 2wd to 4x4 conversion and decided to install marlin's tacobox along a twin stick fj-transfer case. The conversion was installed by a reputable off road fabricator with plenty of experience in this area back in June 2015.

Ran into my first issue in Nov 2015, was driving to work and a block from my house I lost all power. All I could hear was grinding noises coming from my center console. Took the drivetrain apart and found out the female output coupler (Malin's Tacobox) and the male input shaft (FJ transfercase) had stripped all the splines (both sides). Discovered the input shaft had the splines slightly grounded down, when it was first installed ,to mate to the coupler. Figured we found the smoking gun and then replaced parts to get my truck back on the road.

input shaft nov 2015.jpg
    coupler nov 2015.jpg

July 2016, about an hour from my house, while on the highway, ran into the same issue lost all power. Took it apart and found out the coupler and input shaft had stripped splines. Threw new oem input shaft and marlin's coupler, my truck was back up and running.

input shaft july 2016.jpg

Coupler july 2016.jpg

Jan 2017, on my way back from a ski trip (about 500 miles from home) running 75 mph lost another input shaft/coupler. Thinking there might be something off with the crawler box or the way I was installing them. Sent both my transfer case and crawler box to Marlin for investigation. Due to the downtime and needing a vehicle, purchased a daily driver. Received both cases mated together and threw them on the truck.

mated cases jan 2017.jpg input shaft jan 2017.jpg coupler jan 2017.jpg

Due to having the daily driver I don't put on as many miles on my truck as I used to, moved from texas to colorado. No more desert trails and time to do some real off-roading. Went on my first trip (Nov 2019) and while climbing a rock wall, my input shaft/coupler decided it was time to go. This time I did snap a driveshaft u-joint moments before.

input shaft.jpg

Side by side.jpg
    Coupler.jpg
    broken u-joint.jpg

And here I am trying to figure out what could be causing all this, has anybody ran into this before? Any input would be appreciated or anything I can look into.

P.s. I have been running 33's with stock gears and open differentials (mech lsd in the rear). Most of my issues have been driving in the highway except this last one. I do about 85% highway driving (80 mph speed limits, because texas) and did mostly light desert off-roading.

Sorry for the long post, was trying to keep it short.

tacoma.jpg

TRDSport10 and NateMob like this.
  2. Nov 13, 2019 at 5:24 PM
    excorcist

excorcist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '06 dcsb, '86 pickup, '89 runner
    whats going on with this?

mated cases jan 2017.jpg

ColoradoTJ and SR-71A like this.
  3. Nov 13, 2019 at 5:29 PM
    jowybyo

jowybyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    Interesting. Following just to see the outcome. Good luck.

4. Nov 13, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    feesquivel

Member:
    West Texas
    Damaged in transit, fixed it before installing it back on the truck.

5. Nov 13, 2019 at 5:36 PM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
    Id be tempted to double check the part numbers and specs for both sides of the connection. Seems like something is out of spec.

Dirtridercrf250 likes this.
  6. Nov 13, 2019 at 5:40 PM
    bot102

bot102 The guy who ask a lot of questions

Member:
    First Name:
    Alec
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCOR
    Beat up armor and broken stuff
  7. Nov 13, 2019 at 5:58 PM
    feesquivel

Member:
    West Texas
    My first thought was tolerances, but having 3 different set of parts give way seems strange and tends to point me in a different direction. I’m thinking the inner shafts are not collinear with each other and they may be stressing the couplers at an angle, unfortunately I dont know how to rule this out.

8. Nov 13, 2019 at 6:05 PM
    0xDEADBEEF

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wonder if you could strategically use some ring+pinion marking compound to see how they're mating up.

9. Nov 13, 2019 at 6:05 PM
    jowybyo

jowybyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged

There’s a good amount of overlap between the shafts. I would think they are collinear just by nature of the slip fit. If there was binding, I would expect the bearings to wear out not the spline. But that’s just my guess.

excorcist likes this.
  10. Nov 13, 2019 at 6:07 PM
    Littles

Littles Stupid is as stupid does.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Elizabeth, CO
    Vehicle:
    3 tons of fun
    I will refrain from going on a rant and just fuck Marlin.

I know they have issues with whatever adapter they were using in the manuals being too loose and causing fretting between the trans and crawl box but I have never heard or seen issues between the crawl box and tcase. Theres no adapter there.

Maybe it's just dark, dirty oil, but your shit looks rusted as hell man. If that's rust then you have a problem there. No reason you should have moisture between your cases. Maybe it's an older version, but that also looks more like a trail gear crawl box than a marlin, and trail gear doesnt make a crawl box for the 2nd gens.

Super stupid question...is it the same spline count on the tcase input and crawl box output? Should be 23.

Edit: just saw you said you sent it back to Marlin so it obviously their crawl box

TRDSport10 and SR-71A like this.
  11. Nov 13, 2019 at 6:10 PM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    Whats up with the weird wear patterns on the splines? Looks like some sort of ratchet mechanism rather than splines. I have zero experience with these things, but the same pattern is in all your pics, which seems like a red flag to me at least

12. Nov 13, 2019 at 6:12 PM
    0xDEADBEEF

Member:
    Vehicle:
    This picture almost makes it look like the splines are only engaging less than half length - maybe the shaft is too short?

Coupler.jpg

13. Nov 13, 2019 at 6:15 PM
    Littles

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Elizabeth, CO
    Vehicle:
    3 tons of fun
    I'm throwing a link to this in the crawlbox thread. Lots of smart guys over there.

feesquivel[OP] likes this.
  14. Nov 13, 2019 at 6:17 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    The input shaft of the transfer case is designed to be harder in comparison to the female sleeve it couples with ? because both components are aftermarket , it would be interesting to know if Marlin used two different metal compositions when producing these aftermarket parts . The female coupling should always fail before the transfer case splines . Judging by the wear on the splines , I would be double checking my differential ratios . if the parts are failing that quickly , I would be willing to bet your front and rear diff are out by 1 tooth . The transfer case spline is the weak link

15. Nov 13, 2019 at 6:17 PM
    Littles

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Elizabeth, CO
    Vehicle:
    3 tons of fun
    That's not it. The tcase has a short input, the crawlbox has a deep output. Same thing with the transmission on the manuals which also has a female output. The depth of the output is greater than the length of the tcase input. He is getting full spline engagement.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  16. Nov 13, 2019 at 6:24 PM
    theesotericone

theesotericone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bishop CA
    Are botth the front and rear diffs the same gear ratio? Those being different is the only idea I can come up with as to what's causing that fretting.

17. Nov 13, 2019 at 6:32 PM
    feesquivel

Member:
    West Texas
    don’t think that will work due to the full time contact of the splines.

The input shaft is toyota.

Wouldn’t having different differential ratios stress out the transfercase? The input shaft should see the same torque loading before the power is split front/rear.

TBH I’ve have never torn into my front diff, was planning on re-gearing in the future.

Most of my issues have been in 2wd driving on the hwy.

SR-71A likes this.
  18. Nov 13, 2019 at 6:37 PM
    feesquivel

Member:
    West Texas
    Had to go count, yes its a 23 spline. I don’t think its rust, more like the stripped metal that used to be splines. Once they go out, just start grinding like crazy. The first input shaft that stripped was grounded down, thats why it looks chewed on.

19. Nov 13, 2019 at 6:40 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Do you have any growling vibrations at highway speeds? One or two piece driveshaft? Were your driveline angles measured and calculated?

20. Nov 13, 2019 at 6:44 PM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    I’m gonna guess no anti seize on the input and you got fretting. This is an issue that no one talks about on install. It needs to be done.

let me find the thread from ttora that has slot of crawl box issues discussed

this mostly talks about the dual row bearing but pretty sure it talks about other stuff

Torspd and slander like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top