1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

csuviper's Junktrk (84 Yota Pickup) Build

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by csuviper, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Apr 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    csuviper

csuviper [OP] Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    I think I'm making this harder than it needs to be but here are the diagrams. Help me with routing if you can. I am getting mixed up because there are differences.

Here is my plan for the pcv valve. I know that the diagram shows its for 1975-80 trucks but if i don't do it this way, where would it connect?
    WeberPCVconnection_d3b618e08b18e0d08ee7c1ee55af4315b658d9ce.jpg

Here is what my stock system looks like:
    StockVacuumDiagram_57225df7f71265fc8a10b3cd011e345c7499908c.jpg

Here is the weber install diagram:
    WeberVacuumdiagram_59fffb7bcfae4d447a531add5347fa60a32f73a7.jpg

2. Apr 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    OK so I hooked it up how i think it should be for the distributor advance, pcv and brake booster.
    1. Teed the pcv valve into the brake booster line before the check valve.
    2. Connected the "normal advance" on the distributor (connection closest to the radiator) to the carb vacuum port.
    3. Left the connection for the "idle advance" on the distributor (connection closest to the engine) connected to the vacuum connected to the vacuum switch.
    4. Blocked off all ports that were connected to the old carb.
    5. Left all other emissions related hoses connected as they were previously.
    6. Installed the gas line with regulator set at 3psi.
    7. Vent still connects to the stock filter housing.
    8. Resonator still connects to the stock filter housing.
    9. Charcoal canister also connects to the carb.

Here is the modified diagram of what my system looks like now:
    StockVacuumDiagram-modifiedforwebber-1_c4334a75c9d72944e2c5aaa52a395c7546742de1.jpg

Questions:
    - By leaving some of the emission control stuff hooked up am i hurting the trucks ability to function properly or hurting performance?
    - By leaving the Idle advance hooked up to the vacuum switch am i doing good or harm? Should it just be plugged?

I put it together as shown above and was able to get the truck running last night. Sounded good but the throttle cable/idle needs to be adjusted because it would die if I didn't hold the pedal down a little.

3. Apr 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    I got the truck idling and running well with the hoses as shown in the diagram above.
    Brakes were not affected by the pcv being teed in.
    Loss of power at 60mph corrected from stock carb.
    Backfiring corrected from stock carb.

I am going to keep researching what emissions components I can get to function in the way they were attended using the weber carb, how I can make it look like the non functional emissions components are hooked up correctly. I will also check with Colorado emissions laws to see if I am spinning my wheels with the emissions stuff.

I will also go ahead and add a nipple on the intake manifold to eliminate the tee, just in case.

4. Apr 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    I hit up left hand canyon on Sunday. Had a blast. Ran left hand main, upper carnage and fireman hill.
    Truck ran great. Died a few times on inclines so I changed the fuel pressure to 1psi and didn't have any problems after that. My max speed is somewhere around 80 on the speedo which translates to about 70mph actual.

I really didn't get the best pics or video but here is what I got:

GOPR0066_2a3b675f35a2613478f830687e7f403dedbf6ae3.jpg

IMG_3454_f03d0006e1c778ccbb0d9c8e7c6739e4a43e022e.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjvEOTiKGAM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ClhaWJEz8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5SR--HcvnM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ShmgnAvoe0

5. Apr 30, 2012 at 11:37 PM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    Glad to see you got the truck running good. I seen you were looking for Chevy 63's. Looking to put a more flexable suspension under the truck? I'm gonna put the stock rear leaf pack from my wife's Tacoma for my rear springs. Probably get rid of the overload and cut down a leaf off of another pack to see how it does. From what I've seen all you need is the spring hangers moved forward 5.5" and keep the shackles hangers stock. Just an idea.

6. Jun 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    I am going the route of installing some 07 Tacoma rear is 55.5" long leafs in the rear and RUF for the front.
    I think I have the plan for now but not sure if I can execute it in time for the next planned camping trip in a couple weeks. I am in need of a welder and someone to weld. I don't trust my welds at all. Plus I need to order the parts quick to get them in time to install.

For the rear the plan is to use my old 07 Tacoma rear leafs. Starting with just the two long ones and will add leafs as needed. The stock rear is 48" long (20.5/27.5) and the 07 Tacoma rear is 55.5 (27.375/28.5). I will cut off the old spring hanger to the front and weld on new ones ~6 7/8" forward. I will leave the rear ones stock.
    The truck already has 6.25" long shackles eye-to-eye on the rear of the rear spring. Currently these are sitting nearly straight up and down so the added 1" to the rear will help put them at a better angle. The current setup is roughly a 6" lift from stock and I hope to reduce the height slightly to somewhere around 5" lift from stock.
    Current shocks and locations will remain the same.
    *Future plans: U-bold flips, center mount shock bar, weld on shock mounts to axle and get the correct length shocks.

Stock front is 45" long (22.5/22.5). Rear up font is 48" long (20.5/27.5). I am going to keep the stock front hanger for now (will weld on beefier ones later). The truck already has 6.5" long shackles eye-to-eye on the rear of the front spring. I will keep this location as well. Currently the shackles are sitting nearly straight up and down so the added length will will help put them at a better angle as well as move the axle forward 2". My only worry here would be that the added 5" to the rear will sit the shackle down to the point of hitting the frame. That's when the front hanger would definitely be needed. Again the current setup is roughly a 6" lift from stock and I hope to reduce the height slightly to somewhere around 5" lift from stock.
    The truck already has high steer kit. The truck is an 84 with solid front axle already so steering box should be ok. A flat pitman arm would be nice.
    Probably need a longer driveshaft. I was hoping that lowering the truck a touch would give me enough to keep the stock one. If one is definitely needed then I will have to wait on all of this till later.
    Installing some u-bold flips to the front. Current shocks and locations will remain the same.
    *Future plans: Shock hoops, correct length shocks, front hanger, flat pitman, drive shaft.

7. Jun 27, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Addicted Off-road talked me out of the 07 springs in the rear unless I get them re-arched and then they still might now work the best. He said either to go with Ford F150's in the rear or get the trail gear rear lift kit.
    TG rear lift kits are designed to match our front IFS Eliminator kits and classic lift kits. For 4Runners we recommend using a rear kit with springs that are the same size as the front springs.
    Kits feature long travel springs and shocks for super flexibility on the trail.

The Classic rear lift kits are supplied for use on 1979-1988 Trucks and for coil to leaf swaps on 90-95 4Runners.

Kit Includes:

56" Long Rear Leaf Springs
    Welded Rear Spring Hangers
    Rear Shackle Mounts
    Greasable Rear 5" Shackles
    12" Bilstein Shocks
    Shock Mounts
    U-Bolt Flip Kit
    Extended Brake Line
    Spring Perches
    Greasable Spring Bolts & Bushings
    Instructions

Classic Rear Lift Kit, 3" Springs, 79-88, 110033-1-KIT, $734

For the front they said to save on cost the rears up front ok and will give you the travel needed. Their front hanger kit will make it easy to transform.

Hanger kit allows of hanging of leaf springs on 1986-1995 Toyota Pickups and 4Runners. Kit designed to work with many 3" - 6" lift aftermarket springs.

Frame jigs make it easy to place shackle tubes in your frame. To install, place jigs on frame under the cab body mount. Mark the frame, and cut frame tube holes with torch. Slide tubes in place and weld in. Clamp front hanger in place and weld. Bolt on springs with included bushings and shackles.
    Kit contains:
    Front offset hanger w/ gussets
    Greasable shackles
    Frame tubes
    Tube jigs

8. Sep 17, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Decided to sell the beast. Kinda sad but had to let it go.

9. Oct 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
  10. Nov 18, 2012 at 2:26 AM
    RussellG

RussellG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Firestone
    Vehicle:
    87 DLX/00taco everything except the FJ bits
    Diamond Axle SAS, TRD FJ calipers and brembo rotors on all 4, FJ rear axle, 5.29's and elockers in both, 3rz swap and dual cases,4.7 rear case,00 taco dash, bobbed bed,soft topper,raceline beadlocks, fj cruiser steering wheel and clinometer, super white paint and 37'' kevlars. Much more but i will keep it simple.

I wheeled MSV with Jeremy last weekend. I thought it was carzy how small of a world it is....?Hes like This carb came off that 4runner(referring to Mandos runner we picked up for parts) Sounds like If Jeremy gets to it in time it will get the motor out of that 4runner too. The bearings are pretty much spun in his rig. It was knocking the whole run.

See 3rd truck back. :D
    [​IMG]

BTW man its been a while..How have you been?

Russell

11. Nov 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Yea it's been awhile. Had a kid and now have no free time. That's the main reason for getting rid of the rig and selling it to Jeremy. Adding some things here and there to my 07 to do lighter wheeling with it.
    I hope Jeremy can get the truck up to top performance. Sounds like he has some nice future plans for it.

12. Nov 18, 2012 at 11:40 PM
    RussellG

RussellG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Firestone
    Vehicle:
    87 DLX/00taco everything except the FJ bits
    Diamond Axle SAS, TRD FJ calipers and brembo rotors on all 4, FJ rear axle, 5.29's and elockers in both, 3rz swap and dual cases,4.7 rear case,00 taco dash, bobbed bed,soft topper,raceline beadlocks, fj cruiser steering wheel and clinometer, super white paint and 37'' kevlars. Much more but i will keep it simple.
    Yeah, Im tryin to help him in to a good direction. The truck needs love but not much. Its sweet for what hes going to use it for.

Products Discussed in

To Top