1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

curious on the new BFG mud terrains, anyone have/had them? any other good DD mud tire

Discussion in 'Texas' started by 03TRDtacotrucker, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Mar 22, 2011 at 10:23 AM
    03TRDtacotrucker

03TRDtacotrucker [OP] No Road. No Problem.

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Vehicle:
    03 SC double cab TRD SR5 4X4
    TRD supercharger, URD 7th injector, Map 3 ECU, 2.2 URD pulley, Doug Thorley headers, Bear River tru performance hi flow cat, 18" Magnaflow muffler, 6" fabtech lift, 33" Goodyear wrangler tires, the old all pro tube rear bumper, ARB front bumper with smitty built 8k winch, pro comp krawlers 87 series wheels, roof rack, 60" hi-lift jack, K&N intake, grey wire mod, front and rear diff breather mod, G2-performance 4.56 gears w/ royal purple oil, red top optima battery, PreRunner Tiregate with full size spare, Radflo front coilovers, Custom home made front skid plate, rear bilstein 5150 series shocks, Elite sliders w/o kick, Camburg UCA, mech grill with old school TOYOTA logo, ash tray removal Cobra CB radio w/ Firestik - List as of 1-17-18
    Have the pro comp x terrains with over 30,000 miles on them now, and still have maybe 1/3 the tread left. So looking into another good type of mud terrain tire thats not too road noisy and has a good tread life on roads. These x terrains had a great tread life, but man they are noisy, and vibrate the truck like crazy. Havent talked to anyone about the BFG mud terrains, so curious to see what people say about using them on a daily driving. Was thinking of going back to the all terrains, always loved those tires, but want something more off road aggressive looking and performing that I wont have to replace often from daily driving, and also wont vibrate so much like my current tires. If you have any other brand suggestions let me know. I'm only asking about the BFG's cause I have always liked their tires, and see lots of people using them.

Thanks ya'll, Alex

2. Mar 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    I have had mine for over a year and put over 30k miles on them and I still have at least 1/2 the tread left. When balanced and rotated properly, I don't get any vibration other than the normal tread hum. I drive 80 miles round trip each day on the freeway, and I take them out crawling or off-roading at least once a month.

I used to run the BFG A/Ts and loved them for a good all-around tire. I also wanted something more aggressive looking and performing and I just couldn't find a better rated tire than the new KM2's for what I wanted to do. I will buy them again for sure.

3. Mar 22, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    03TRDtacotrucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD supercharger, URD 7th injector, Map 3 ECU, 2.2 URD pulley, Doug Thorley headers, Bear River tru performance hi flow cat, 18" Magnaflow muffler, 6" fabtech lift, 33" Goodyear wrangler tires, the old all pro tube rear bumper, ARB front bumper with smitty built 8k winch, pro comp krawlers 87 series wheels, roof rack, 60" hi-lift jack, K&N intake, grey wire mod, front and rear diff breather mod, G2-performance 4.56 gears w/ royal purple oil, red top optima battery, PreRunner Tiregate with full size spare, Radflo front coilovers, Custom home made front skid plate, rear bilstein 5150 series shocks, Elite sliders w/o kick, Camburg UCA, mech grill with old school TOYOTA logo, ash tray removal Cobra CB radio w/ Firestik - List as of 1-17-18
    Ya I rotate and balance mine every 5k miles, I only have a 45 mile round trip to work everyday. I always heard alot of good things about the old BFG mud terrains, so was hoping their new ones would be just as good. Glad to know their worth the price.

4. Mar 22, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    woody6047

woody6047 McGrubber

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Austin/ Waco Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma 4x4 dc
    100%stock, except for the exhaust leak and custom windshield crack mod
    I love my KM2's and the road noise isnt that bad. They walk alittle at about 80 but that could have been my alignment. I say go for it! They are great in the mud also, like really good.

5. Mar 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    03TRDtacotrucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, think ill have to put those KM2's at the top of my list in tire choices going to need a set 5 for my full size spare too, so gonna be a pretty penny thats for sure but sounds like their worth it. sure none of the other mud terrains excluding boggers of course are probably as road noisy as these x terrains Im using. Used to always want the mickey thompson baja claws for the longest time, but havent seen anyone using them in awhile so not sure if their any good?... Just liked the way they looked mostly, kinda like a more aggressive looking pro comp X terrain.

6. Mar 23, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    If you can get beyond the love fest for BFG... have a look at the April, 2011 edition of Four Wheeler Magazine. They did a very comprehensive comparisson of 10 mud terrain tires... seemed to be totally unbiassed and fair... and they had good things to say about them all. Cooper Discoverer STT was not included... and I am sure there are others too.

They were surprised when the BFG Mud Terrain TA KM2 did so poorly (came in 8th place)... and equally surprised that Hankook Dynapro MT beat the rest!

1) Hankook Dynapro MT
    2) Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar
    3) Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ
    4) Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
    5) Yokohama Geolander M/T
    6) Pit Bull Rocker LT Radial
    7) Intelco Super Swamper TrXus
    8) BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM2
    9) Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrain
    10) Maxxis M8060 Trepador

7. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    03TRDtacotrucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Vehicle:
    huh the mickey thompsons beat out the KM2's... used to get those magazines all the time but havent gotten any this year in the mail...ill have to deffinitely check that out and see what they say, thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top