1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom Flatbed - Work Truck & Camper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jon_beer, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Jan 14, 2017 at 10:00 AM
    jon_beer

jon_beer [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 Mag. Gray Tacoma AC
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumpber, RAD Industries Grille, Ladder rack with custom toolboxes, GMRS Radio, Pyle PLDN63BT Head Unit, Blacked out headlights
    As she stands of April 2019:

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Everyone - long time listener first time caller.

I'm working on a new project that i wanted to just preview here....In a few days I will be the proud owner of a 2012 Tacoma 4x4 access cab! I'm looking to do a lot of camping so I thought I'd build a hard top / utility top combo.

I started with a lot of sketches - and tonight I made a foam prototype and then brought it back into the computer.

Initial idea:
    [​IMG]

Working it in foam:
    [​IMG]

A more final version of this idea: [Here you can see two LED bars on each side, mounted to a roof rack, a spare + RotoPax fuel can mounted on top, recovery shovel and the long rectangular portion protruding under the window is a utility body style storage compartment. *Note: You are looking at the back end.]
    [​IMG]

A few of my considerations are:
    1. Weight / Strength
    3. Storage
    4. Aesthetics
    5. Convertability

The last point is a big one - in 2018 my girlfriend and I are planning a cross country trip SO I want to be able to take what ive build and fairly easily convert it to a pop up camper.

I'm thinking of getting a crappy hard top to build on, seen a few on Craigslist. Any way - I'm super excited about this and would love to get everyones input!

-Jon

PS I have a few other Tacoma projects that I'll include in a build thread soon.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  2. Jan 14, 2017 at 11:34 AM
    WhiskeyTaco

WhiskeyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 White Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road
    Seems similar to an ARE MX series, but with side compartments and a roof rack.

Looking forward to what you come up with, love the design.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  3. Jan 14, 2017 at 6:04 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
  4. Jan 16, 2017 at 8:14 AM
    jon_beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 Mag. Gray Tacoma AC
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumpber, RAD Industries Grille, Ladder rack with custom toolboxes, GMRS Radio, Pyle PLDN63BT Head Unit, Blacked out headlights
    @WhiskeyTaco - Thanks! I do like the ARE MX and even had one priced out....but it would come in at over $2500. I am a bit cash poor but labor rich. I'm a fine artist by training but do carpentry/woodworking/renovations mostly these days.

@Bajatacoma - Thanks! That was a super inspiring post...I keep going back and rereading and checking out all the details. What a wealth of information.

I've been doing more work on my camper body model. Incorporating some new ideas. Also managed to track down a cheap hard top that should fit my Tacoma! Hoping to get it next weekend. Now onto the sketches...

I woke up and had an idea after looking at various other peoples solutions to camping/living short term in a hard shell. I got thinking that you need less space near your feet when you sleep than near your upper body. I figured it would be a good place to put some upright storage for things you use more regularly...cooking stuff, clothes, reading materials, etc. They would follow the contour of the door, too.

[​IMG]

In wireframe you can see more of how I imagined the placement and fit.

[​IMG]

Some other thoughts I had about the drawer set up. I think one side would definitely work well as the 'kitchen.' [​IMG]

I'm thinking of keeping a water tank in one of the spaces next to the wheel well, also.

Let the compulsion continue...

- Jon

Toynado, Nickel, nfs257 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jan 16, 2017 at 8:17 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    subd

Toyko Joe likes this.
  6. Jan 23, 2017 at 7:26 PM
    jon_beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 Mag. Gray Tacoma AC
    Hey everyone,
    I was lucky enough to get the $60 A.R.E top this weekend and have started to turn this plan into a reality! Got some QST tonight after work and began to mock up the utility compartments. Just trying to work out the large shapes and overall feel of the boxes. Using scrap 1" rigid foam and scribing it to the side of the shell. From here I will probably keep refining the design and when I have something that I'm happy with I'll transfer the location and pieces to some 1/2" ply and build an armature for the fiberglass.

In the meantime I need to take out the windows, sand the whole thing down and and glass over the old openings. I plan to fit a piece of 1/4" ply in there and glass over both sides.
    Got a bunch of sketches for other elements in the build I should upload soon, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the meantime I made a little more eye candy...needed to see how this thing would actually look on the truck! Saturday she becomes mine.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for watching-
    -Jon

7. Jan 24, 2017 at 12:54 AM
    Bajatacoma

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    Interesting.

Couple of random thoughts (not criticisms):

Probably just the way it looks in the design program, but that long, irregular-shaped window on the sides is going to be hard to replace if it gets broken, I'd try to find some sort of standard shape. ;)

Are you planning on a stich and glue type construction? Just curious how you’re going to secure the side compartments so that they’re strong enough to carry weight without adding a bunch of weight during the construction.

With a pop-top it won't matter but for longer than a weekend I do not like raised platforms under a regular camper shell- just my personal opinion. I've gotten a little claustrophobic as I've gotten older (no idea why since I used to enjoy caving and stuff) but the main reason is that I like to be able to sit up and move around in the back. It makes it easier to stretch, change clothes and generally live out of, especially in inclement weather. When you get stuck in camp for a day or so it’s nice to be able to heat up tea or coffee, sit up and watch a movie on the laptop, read, play cards or whatever. You’re starting out short of space, making it even more cramped is just that much more restrictive. Yes, you lose some storage space but you’re making up for it with the exterior storage plus you have the area behind the front seats.

8. Jan 24, 2017 at 12:57 AM
    kitsym

kitsym Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 MGM DCSB TRD Sport
    Sub'd

jon_beer[OP] and ChadsPride like this.
  9. Jan 24, 2017 at 6:17 AM
    jon_beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 Mag. Gray Tacoma AC
    @Bajatacoma - Those are good points. Do you have any sources for windows? I've been trying to find something but with no success. I was considering junkyard but it would be annoying to use something that isnt being produced anymore and be stuck. As far as the side construct and connection, I made a drawing to show the details. As for camping for extended periods - I totally agree, this Im thinking will be just for 3 or 4 day trips at the most.

I plan to build the box separately and skin it inside and out before attaching it to the shell. Once its bolted on I'll glass the seams (you can see the pink putty fillet there where the two meet.) The support ribs will get glassed in.

[​IMG]

- Jon

ChadsPride likes this.
  10. Jan 24, 2017 at 6:18 AM
    uurx

uurx Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island, new york
    Vehicle:
    '12 t|x pro
  11. Jan 24, 2017 at 6:25 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    This is awesome. Good luck with the project!

ChadsPride likes this.
  12. Jan 24, 2017 at 7:16 AM
    kickasssloth

kickasssloth The Texan from Australia

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver DCLB TRD Sport
    How did you get an A.R.E top so cheap?! :(:(:( Been looking for something under $500 forever and can't find anything decent...

Build looks amazing so far! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out, good luck!

ChadsPride likes this.
  13. Jan 24, 2017 at 9:46 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I bought one on CL for $450. You gotta look all the time and be patient.

ChadsPride likes this.
  14. Jan 24, 2017 at 10:08 AM
    WarrenG

WarrenG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cool design! I have lightweight camper build 1/2 done, its on this site. Far more basic than yours but similar ideA

ChadsPride likes this.
  15. Jan 24, 2017 at 10:26 AM
    Toyojake

Toyojake Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 T4R Sport 4x4
    Subbed! Awesome project!

ChadsPride likes this.
  16. Jan 25, 2017 at 12:13 AM
    Bajatacoma

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    No good ideas on finding windows other than places that cater to van and rv customizers.

I like the rib idea. How do you plan to deal with a possible future pop-top? Boxing it in?

I've been thinking about doing something similar for a while now so I'm watching how you figure out the issues. My fiberglassing skills are not very good though so I don't think I could do what you're doing.

ChadsPride likes this.
  17. Jan 25, 2017 at 12:16 AM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    Subbed!!

ChadsPride likes this.
  18. Jan 25, 2017 at 12:44 AM
    Styx2015

Styx2015 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2008 White Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road
    @Bajatacoma, I agree with some of your thoughts. Especially vertical space inside the shell. A cab high shell will not cut it, not even close. You will be kicking yourself later with all the work you put in including a drawer system. Great find on the ARE shell, but from your drawings, you will need to do a ton of addition and modification to get it as high as you are looking for. Might be better off starting with a heavy duty aluminum contractor cap. Not only will it offer rigidity, but maybe more ease to create the space you are looking for?

What about deleting the drawer system and introducing some under bed/bench storage similar to what the thread on Expedition Portal had featured?

As an option to still maintain storage access at the tailgate for cooking and such, use your side storage cabinets that follow the door (awesome idea), and put them on a beefy hinge on the inboard aft corner. That way you can swing each one individually toward the tailgate and access whatever you need. While traveling, it can latch up securely in its normal position as you have it on your drawing.

ChadsPride likes this.
  19. Jan 25, 2017 at 1:38 AM
    beertimecontinuum

beertimecontinuum What's outside the simulation?

Member:
    First Name:
    Everett
    Ky,Earth,SolarSystem,MilkyWay,VirgoSupercluster
    Vehicle:
    10 Pyrite DCSB VEEEEEE 1.618
    FoxShox, Dirt King Heims, Chevy63s, 2UZ-FE V8 Flowmaster 40, Demello Front/DYF Rear w/Swigouts, BAMF sliders, DYFAF
    Welcome!! :cheers: Looks like an interesting idea, subbed for sure!!

ChadsPride likes this.
  20. Jan 25, 2017 at 6:40 AM
    Bajatacoma

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    Styx- I was just passing on some info I’ve found and some ideas. My truck still has a cab high ARE CX series on it but I’m in the planning/dreaming stages of what I want in a camper. Right now I’m leaning towards an aluminum frame with structure panels of maybe nidacore- something that looks similar to the Tacoma Habitat from Adventure Trailers but with a pop-up top and sleeping area like a VW Westy. I’ve owned several Westys and have been pretty happy with the layouts and space utilization. I want to be able to stealth camp in it when necessary but open it up when possible. I also want to be able to remove the cabinets/shelves and utilize the truck as a daily driver. Currently the bed of my truck has a carpeted plywood floor on top of the truck bed with a cabinet down the driver's side; it's a compromise I started using on my '95 Tacoma but it allows me to sleep in it comfortably and still load junk in it. I have a utility trailer if I need to haul larger stuff.

ChadsPride likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top