1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom Rear Bumper and towing hitch

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by urchim, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Jan 19, 2018 at 8:03 PM
    urchim

urchim [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2016 TRD Offroad Inferno
    So I am torn, i been hearing rumors that if you go after market rear bumper you lose towing hitch or tow ability of trailers due to hitch not being strong etc.
    Have a question to all who bought custom bumpers like cbi, pilfrey etc, or maybe even guys who make these if i go such bumper do i lose ability to tow? i use my truck to tow my ATV trailer too its less than 3000 but would suck to lose it if i get custom bumper.

anyone can share the info if thats true or what bumper solution to go with if i want to keep towing ability.

2. Jan 19, 2018 at 8:21 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    Only thing you lose is max tongue weight, if you use existing hitch mount and hitch. You only lose the delta tongue max weight between stock and new bumper weight. If you actually mount the hitch to the bumper, who knows. Then it's up to the bumper manufacturer to provide you with weight specs.

3. Jan 19, 2018 at 8:23 PM
    HoboDave

HoboDave Homeless Prius Dweller

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Carlsbad, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2023 Toyota Prius
    I got mine from C4 Fabrication and I don't see any reason why it would hurt anything. It bolts up to the same holes the stock one did and has stronger struts. The only thing is, on the model I ordered, the hitch receiver is behind the license plate so it's a little inconvenient to work with but I don't tow very often so no worries. If anything, the aftermarket receiver is stronger and better made than the original.
    Tacoma-BSM-Rear-Bumper-C4-Fabrication-4-500x600.jpg

mauidogg likes this.
  4. Jan 19, 2018 at 10:10 PM
    mauidogg

mauidogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB TRDOR
    I agree with this guy^ i know this has been brought up before. It cost money to test bumpers for tow rating. Most aftermarket companies probably won’t bother. But I would be willing to tow more with my Pelfrey bumper than the stock one no contest. It is built much better, beefier all around.

Products Discussed in

To Top