1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom Tonneau cover

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Mudbug, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Jul 21, 2007 at 11:24 AM
    Mudbug

Mudbug [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amsoil 0w-20 engine oil and Amsoil Full synthetic 75w-90 in the Transmission, transfer case, front and rear Differentials. AFE Cold Air Intake
    Has anyone here ever made their own tonneau cover? If so what did you make it out of and was it worth it?
    If I do i'm probably going to make it fiberglass composite using a 1/8" piece of luan for the center. Then i'll simply paint it body color and it will look like its fiberglass. It will be fairly strong and lightweight.
    I'm not too crazy about drilling holes for supports in my bed. Anyone have any ideas on that?
    Why do I want to do this? Because a few pieces of luan, a quart of epoxy, some supports and a quart of paint costs around $100.
    I could build one out of metal too I suppose. I like this idea better though.
    Alright opinions? Ideas? Experience?

2. Jul 21, 2007 at 11:27 AM
    Mudbug

Member:
    Amsoil 0w-20 engine oil and Amsoil Full synthetic 75w-90 in the Transmission, transfer case, front and rear Differentials. AFE Cold Air Intake
    What if I made some sliders on the very top of the bed rails. Then made it so I could slide it in or out? I think i'm liking this idea. It would not be strong enough to stand on but it would come in and out VERY easy and look good doing it.

3. Jul 21, 2007 at 11:48 AM
    Mudbug

Member:
    Ok so I just went out and actually looked at my bed. It had just been bench thinking prior to that.
    The way that little bed rail goes around puts a plug in my slide in and out idea. It drops at one point. Its not flush all the way around. So if I do this...It looks like it will have to be by taking the bed rails off, and putting a slight bevel on the ends so it looks nice.

Products Discussed in

To Top