1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom Tuffy Lock Box for Gen2 Bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TakDwn, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Nov 23, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    TakDwn

TakDwn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC V6 Shortbed 4x4
    Bili's all around, front 5100's at 1.75", rear TSB w/AAL, 265x75/16 BFG AT, Wheelers steelies Type B 4" bs, LEER cap, Tinted, Relentless hybrid sliders welded, Cab mount chop, Plastic trimming, Sock retros, Mirror lift, Satoshi with old school emblem, WeatherTechs, Mudlaps gone, RedLine hood struts, Fumoto valve, Tailgate clamped, Console organizer, Mobtown Offroad Front Recovery Bar
    Tacoma Custom Trunk: 42"W x 10"D x 12"H
    16 ga steel with Tuffy's dual camlocks.
    Wt is 36 lbs per trunk

Toyota Tacoma Custom Trunk -- 42"W x 10"D x 12"H 16GA steel custom trunk
    with dual camlocks, 36# per trunk (40# ship weight). The keys will be matching for the two locks on this box.

Our Tacoma serves multiple purposes for the family - offroading, camping, hunting, sports gear hauler, grocery getter, etc, etc. When we decided to add a bed cap to the Tacoma, the cap improved its function but we had to remove the tool box. The tool box stored my everyday carry items (tools, small air compressor, chocks, bug out bag, etc), and provided a safe-life device for firearms while traveling. Loosing the tool box has left us without a secure location to store items, especially expensive tools and firearms.

This has lead me to discuss the making of a custom trunk by Tuffy for the Tacoma. The cost of them making ONE box is outragous; however, making 8 of these makes each individual one more affordable. From nearly $500 down to under $200 (not including shipping and taxes).

So what's my point here....would anyone else be interested in a custom trunk for their Tacomas'. The box fits between the wheel wells of the short bed - sitting on the bed floor - and would mount utilizing the factory bed d-ring bolts. The lid would be 2" over the top of the wheel wells and would provide plenty of room for Tuffy lid clearance.

Here is the CAD drawing Tuffy provided:
    Okay, I have no idea how to post a PDF file --- HELP! :)

I have used planks for making a bed, in the bed, and expect there to be no interference from the Tuffy box.

The Tuffy box would work with both trucks with caps and those with tri-fold bed covers (one's that use the factory rails for mounting).

The greater number of people we can get together to make a purchase the cheaper each box is. Please post your name onto the rolling list if serioiusly interested. Thank you.

Shortbed:
    1. TakDwn

Longbed:

2. Nov 23, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
  3. Nov 23, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    tagged for info.

4. Nov 23, 2010 at 3:17 PM
    TakDwn

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Bili's all around, front 5100's at 1.75", rear TSB w/AAL, 265x75/16 BFG AT, Wheelers steelies Type B 4" bs, LEER cap, Tinted, Relentless hybrid sliders welded, Cab mount chop, Plastic trimming, Sock retros, Mirror lift, Satoshi with old school emblem, WeatherTechs, Mudlaps gone, RedLine hood struts, Fumoto valve, Tailgate clamped, Console organizer, Mobtown Offroad Front Recovery Bar
    Ok, lets give this a try....

Attached Files:

5. Nov 23, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    TakDwn

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
  6. Nov 23, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    jdtemple

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    interesting, I have been looking for something like this for my long bed. I wonder how much space it will leave if mounted in the center. The only thing I don't like is the lock position. I would prefer it on the front side of the box. Less holes in the lid, and water will run right past the lock instead of puddle up.

7. Nov 23, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    TakDwn

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Very good point on the location of the lock...it would be better on the front vs the top. I don't see how moving the lock location would make any difference to Tuffy in the building of the custom box. I do know that the system is water proof, but the less risk of water issue the better.

Tuffy also mentioned due to the length of the box, 2 locks would be needed to fit under their warentee for security. One, center mounted, lock is not enough to properly secure the Tacoma custom box.

As for the space it would leave on your long bed....the interior width of the bed should be the same at ~56 1/2" at the widest interior points (rail to rail). However, I don't know the distance from the front of the long bed to the front of the wheel well. The wheel well to wheel well width is ~42 1/2". In the short bed Tacoma the front of the wheel wells meet with the front of the bed at the floor.

Also, I'm not familiar where the front d-rings are located on the long bed. Can you get me some measurements. Possibly, I can work with Tuffy to get two boxes offered: One for short bed and One for long bed.

8. Nov 23, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    claw

claw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab, 4 Banger
    Tonneau cover, bed lights, fog lights, VHF radio
    Awesome! Good job.

9. Nov 23, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    dessertsand05

dessertsand05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DC SR5 4x4
    Working on it
    Where does this get mounted in the back of the bead against the cab? Having trouble picturing it.

10. Nov 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    TakDwn

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Correct. I'm sure you know where the typical tool box is mounted on trucks, right. Well, this would be in the same location except instead of being mounted to the outer bed rails it's mounted to the floor of the bed. It's secured down by the d-ring bolts toward the front of the bed (behind the cab).

It can be used if you have a cap on your truck covering your bed, or if you have a tonneau cover, or if you would like an unassumable locked box in your truck.

11. Nov 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    i would be interested in one.

12. Nov 23, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    I'm interested as well. Depending on final price and a design change for the locking system... (should on the the front of the box not the top, especially since mine will be exposed to weather till i get a cap)

Looking at the CAD drawings, it doesn't appear to have any mounting points on the box itself?? I take it, we'll have to install our own d-rings on the box then?

13. Nov 23, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    IslandBoy71

IslandBoy71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reggie
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner Sport SR5 DC
    TRD Intake,Flowmaster Super 10 exhaust, King 2.5 c/o adjusted to 3inch front and King 2.5 rears w/AAL. Custom bed rack, rock sliders and rear tire carrier.
    If this will work on the long bed I will take one.

14. Nov 24, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    TakDwn

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Just keeping everyone in the loop....
    The lady helping me with the custom sale and design will be out of the office till Thursday, December 2nd. A guy told me moving the locks aren't a big deal at all - so this is good information.
    He also confirmed the prices:
    Sale of 8= $197
    Sale of 20= $180
    I'll just have to see if this would include total sales, or the sale of short box vs long box. For this, I'll need to wait for her return.

For those with long beds, I NEED MEASUREMENTS. From the front of the bed (on the floor) to the front of the wheel well. Also, where are your front bed d-rings (with measurements as they relate to the side and front of bed)? If someone can provide pictures and a set of measurement this would greatly help our cause.

The mounting points for this box will be inplace of where your front d-rings are located. Simply reuse the same bolt, Tuffy will have the hole in place. So, yes - you'll have to place your own additional set of front d-rings if you use these.

15. Nov 25, 2010 at 1:45 AM
    SubFrozen

SubFrozen r00t

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Sandy, UT
    Vehicle:
    2007 Taco SR5 V6
    3" OME Heavy Duty Lift, 18" Chrome Rimes, ARB Front Bumper, K&N Cold Air Intake
    I'm down for one.

16. Nov 25, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    dessertsand05

dessertsand05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DC SR5 4x4
    Working on it
    One other quick thing, is matching keys. I just ordered one from the side and ordered an exra cam for the other side or to custom install a cabinet lock some where else. Their website allows you to place an order with a specific key, for those that may already have a side one.

I may be interested, wich I could see one first though...

17. Nov 25, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    TakDwn

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, the keys will be matching for the two locks on this box. I'll put this one the original posting.

Be sure to check out the Tuffy CAD drawing above. This will likely be the best as can be done until after the orders are placed.

And if you have, or order the Tuffy lockable cubbies, you can get all matching keys. She didn't say how this could be done...I'll have to find out how matching keys will work if you already have a Tuffy cubby box.

I was thinking this morning that the whole order/transaction may be easier if we simply have an order number or group number which will allow each person interested to call in and place their order with Tuffy directly. So each person gets the correct box (long vs short), matches keys with other Tuffy secured boxes, etc. Suggestions from those that have experience with group orders on the best way to do this would be greatly appreciated?

18. Nov 25, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    TakDwn

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Please copy & paste if you have a genuine interest in one of these Tuffy custom boxes.

I'd like to have a rough number to give when I speak with them next week. The greater the interest, the lower the individual cost. As mentioned above - with an order of 8 people, the cost is less than $200. Possible order list so far...

Shortbed:
    1. TakDwn
    2. t-frax
    3. Gylar
    4. SubFrozen

Longbed:
    1. IslandBoy71

19. Nov 25, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    jdtemple

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Shortbed:
    1. TakDwn
    2. t-frax
    3. Gylar
    4. SubFrozen

Longbed:
    1. IslandBoy71
    2. jdtemple

I actually wouldn't mind having a little space on either side of the box in the long bed, my only concern would be the mount points. Has anyone actually drilled through and mounted stuff to the composite bed. Did you put anything to re-enforce underneath?

20. Dec 26, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    So what is the deal with this? is it happening or not?

Products Discussed in

To Top