1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CV axle dilemma during ecgs bushing install

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Zoey'sTaco, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Nov 25, 2020 at 2:17 PM
    Zoey'sTaco

Zoey'sTaco [OP] Art Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Dirty Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB SR5, Daily, camper-hauler, blizzard chaser, rock bouncer, tool box
    6112/5160/Maggie SC Hammer Hangers Tom Woods 1 piece Shaft ARE-DCU ARE HD leafs Rear Seat delete
    For those of you who are familiar with the ecgs bushing install process, the part where I had to remove my cv axle went awry today.
    I tried the steel rope/hammer method of yanking it out and managed to separate the axle into two parts. It came apart at the boot. I know its designed to come apart there, but aside from most likely having to replace the boot, are there any signs of trouble I should look for?
    Im going to try to get it apart again on Friday or Saturday to investigate whether the boot is actually damaged or just needs a new clamp.

as an aside: how the fudge do you get that axle out??? I did everything I saw in all the videos I could find and it was going nowhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nov 25, 2020 at 2:25 PM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    I used 2 tie rod removal pickle forks. One wedged in to provide a pivot. The other was the “lever”. Forming a cross. Held the lever in against the axle indent(s). Smacked the “lever” with a 3 pound hammer. Popped right out.

maxtherat and Zoey'sTaco[OP] like this.
  3. Nov 25, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    TACOCAT Reversed

TACOCAT Reversed Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum!!! - Cookie Monster

Member:
    NCentral Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD OR
    Roll'N'Lock SEMA TRD Pro Rims General Grabber AT2 OME BP-51 Suspension Heavy Duty Dakar Leaf SPC UCA's CBI Fab Bolt on Sliders SSO slimline hybrid bumper Smittybuilt X20 Synthetic Winch Factor 55 Prolink 30" Baja Designs S8 Baja Designs SAE Fogs TRD Pro Grille Front and Rear Anytime Camera Expedition Essentials TPAM Meso Puddle lights Meso Ultimate Red LED dome Meso RED map lights Rear differential breather mod AC drain mod Oodles O Dynamat
    Long screw driver into dents on the CV housing where it has little cutouts, whacked with same 3 pound hammer as above, popped out easier than I would have thought. As an aside, the screw driver in question is large (12" long) and was used to pry on something years ago, which broke the flat tip so its thick there, rather than thin. I don't think that matters but thought I'd elaborate. Best of luck.

Superdave1.0 and Zoey'sTaco[OP] like this.
  4. Nov 25, 2020 at 2:34 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    The axle should be perfectly straight as you are trying to remove it from the diff . If the axle is hanging down , its going to apply pressure to the tiny snap ring that holds the axle in place . Keeping the axle straight when you pry is going to collapse the tiny snap ring evenly and the axle will pop rite out . I use some mechanics wire to hold the axle straight while I pry .

Might as well grab a boot kit with some fresh grease and two new clamps . I dont believe you can damage the plunging side . The bearings are held on with snap rings . Should be a matter of cleaning it back up ,burp the boot with fresh grease and set your clamps after the burp

Hobbs and Zoey'sTaco[OP] like this.
  5. Nov 25, 2020 at 3:56 PM
    Zoey'sTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Dirty Jersey
    Vehicle:
    6112/5160/Maggie SC Hammer Hangers Tom Woods 1 piece Shaft ARE-DCU ARE HD leafs Rear Seat delete
    thanks for all the suggestions and guidance, gents. Ill give it all another whack on Friday. I can get a boot kit from auto zone locally and hopefully get the damn axle out with some of. your suggestions.
    I did try to whack on the notches with a pry bar and 3lb hammer, but I think the pry bar was a bad choice. I need something less curvy and straighter. anyway, thanks again. ill post what happens.

6. Nov 26, 2020 at 4:43 AM
    dk_crew

dk_crew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4
    I had a hard time getting mine out as well and snapped this pic as a future reference for myself lol. The blade of this screwdriver is wide enough to pop it over the snap ring when turned. this approach took all of 2 seconds and didn’t require a big hammer.

upload_2020-11-26_6-41-21.jpg

if you’re getting a boot kit you may want to also just get another cv (Napa reman) — use it or return it. I put this one in, rebuilt the original and have it as a spare.

Good luck. Happy turkey day!!!!

Attached Files:

Zoey'sTaco[OP] likes this.
  7. Nov 27, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    Zoey'sTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Dirty Jersey
    Vehicle:
    It’s just not working. I’ve removed the outer section of the axle and all that’s left is the inner portion that inserts into the diff. I’m hitting the notches from below with a punch and 3lb hammer. I tried a twisting pry situation I made from rebar. Nothing. It just sits there. How am I screwing this up!?

8. Nov 27, 2020 at 8:27 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Gotta be some damage to the tiny snap-ring that holds the axle in place which in turn makes it a nightmare to get the axle out . Seen it many times before . My suggestion .....bigger pry bars and bigger hammers at this point

Edit - try turning the axle in an effort to pry in a different location from where you have been prying . Sometimes turning the axle will help if there is a slight bend in the snap-ring. The pry bar I use to remove axles is 5 feet long . You will be there all day with a punch

SR-71A likes this.
  9. Nov 27, 2020 at 8:47 AM
    Zoey'sTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Dirty Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I’m actually kinda blown away this is a project than anybody advocates a home mechanic go anywhere near. This is a god damned nightmare

boston23 likes this.
  10. Nov 27, 2020 at 8:49 AM
    Zoey'sTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Dirty Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I’ve been turning it. I just can’t get a good whack at it. Too tight of a space.

11. Nov 27, 2020 at 8:56 AM
    YamaDirtrider

YamaDirtrider Custom bumpers @FORT-ifyRigs

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Elizabeth CO
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB sport postrunner
    What hasn't been modified?
    If you have a helper, use a slide hammer and hook. Only place to rent the correct kit is from advance auto.

12. Nov 27, 2020 at 9:05 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    I am thinking the needle bearing may also be a little trashed .In normal cases , it doesnt take much to collapse the tiny snap ring . Sometimes the groove where that snap ring fits fills up with steel making it difficult for the snap ring to collapse .
    Take a step back and re-group , then go at it again . It will come out

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    tacotoe and Zoey'sTaco[OP] like this.
  13. Nov 27, 2020 at 9:10 AM
    Zoey'sTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Dirty Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I got it. What a bear, till it wasn’t and it released rather easily. If life has taught me one thing over and over it’s that in times of turmoil and distress a small temper tantrum helps me to focus and prevail.

14. Nov 27, 2020 at 9:16 AM
    Zoey'sTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Dirty Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I’m gonna piss myself. The threaded rod is too short?!?!?!

Hobbs likes this.
  15. Nov 27, 2020 at 9:19 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    You got the correct tool ?

Below is the ECGS removal and install file in PDF . Bushing needs to be flush

Attached Files:

16. Nov 27, 2020 at 9:32 AM
    Hobbs

Hobbs Anti-Lander from way back…

Member:
    Yep…
    Vehicle:
    Rock Bangen', Desert Tamin', Gold Findin' Machine!
    I am not trying to poke fun by any means, but this is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Post a picture of the threaded rod/tool so we can see what you're working with.

17. Nov 27, 2020 at 10:00 AM
    Zoey'sTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Dirty Jersey
    Vehicle:
    It was meant in jest but there is truth to it. I’m out of my depth and am not embarrassed to admit it. Just don’t tell my wife. I used a bolt to replace the rod. It was way too short. I’ve got the bushing in just not 100% sure it’s in all the way. I know too far is bad.

18. Nov 27, 2020 at 10:06 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Dang OP, sounds like a rough time. For any future readers, I like to use this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075M94S3P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I lay underneath, slip it between the diff and the axle, and pry like hell. If that doesn't work, rotate the axle a little and try again. It'll eventually work, just takes some ass behind it.

I then use the same bar to put the CV back in. Place the tip in one of the notches on the axle and tap it in with a 3 lb hammer. It's tough getting it past the snap ring, but once that happens, it doesn't take much force to drive it in the rest of the way.

19. Nov 27, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    Totally DIY'able.

20. Nov 27, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    goldentaco03

goldentaco03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Liam
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    3in lift (Bilstein 5100, AAL), Bull Bar with halogen Hella Fogs and High Beams
    In the future, long pry bar (24”+) between diff and CV axle there’s just enough room. Careful not to damage the damage the seal on the diff side. Sometimes you need to whack the axle around a few times with a mallet to “reset” the circlip

Products Discussed in

To Top