1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CV Axles replaced, 1 leaking from input shaft

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by GA1044, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    GA1044

GA1044 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    2002 trd 4x4
    Air Hog, Grey-Wire Mod, Fabtech Coilover 3.5 Lift, Deck Plate Mod, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Magnaflow Exhaust
    I recently replaced my front cv axles on my tacoma. My driver side cv is good and not leaking. My problem is in my right axle. I replaced this one the same way, and well this one is leaking from the input shaft to the differential extension arm where the metal retainer on the shaft and the rubber seal in the extension met. Has anyone had any problems with this when replacing the cv or am i doing something wrong.

2. Apr 4, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    it happened the first time i replaced my cv's. the clip on the end tore my seal a bit. i got my seal from the dealership and install it..and then put the cv back in without a problem. it helps to put a little grease on the clip and point the ends of it down when putting a cv in. the seal isnt too bad to replace...just go slow and use something with a smooth flat end. i used a socket on one side...and then a long punch on the other.

3. Apr 4, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I just fore warned another member about this when he replaced axles , those inner seals are super soft ,expensive & tear easy as hell

4. Oct 3, 2011 at 2:08 AM
    20toytaco03

20toytaco03 20toytaco03

Member:
    First Name:
    dylan
    cleveland tennessee
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma 4x4
    My right side axle is leaking in the same spot. But it has alittle sliding where the boot meets the diff. How can i fix

Products Discussed in

To Top