1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CV boot clamps keep coming off

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rc2125, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Dec 6, 2011 at 5:25 AM
    rc2125

rc2125 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana/Michigan border
    Vehicle:
    19 TRDor
    My 09 dbl cab has been losing the smaller outer cv boot clamps (axle clamp) once or twice a year since the truck was new, every winter like clockwork. I noticed they were off again the other day, before I was going to rotate my tires.

My question is to folks that have used aftermarket cv axles and boots. DO the boots on any aftermarket cv axles stay on better than the oem one's? I'm tired of dealing with getting the boots resecured, and now it'll cost me parts & labor twice a year. If the aftermarket boots are longer and stay on better, I'd just install those and be done with it.

Between the last time I took it in to get them resecured, about 3 months ago, and now, I have added 5100's(1.75") and AAL's (1.5") with angle wedges. Had to add the AAL's for towing cuz neither local dealers(or toyota) would cover the the TSB rear leafs for me, likely lost them a 4 time toyota truck customer for future trucks.

Now, since they seen the 5100's and AALs, they say they won't be able to cover any issues with the "lifted" truck's suspension or cv boots/rear-end/etc because "those shocks cause abnormal oscillation when cycled and cause the clamps to come off" and blah blah blah, "toyota and toyota techline is on board with this". So I imagine my extended warranty will probably be more worthless than it already is.

Along with the alignment I had them do, since the last one pulled left a bit (done 2 months ago) my receipt says that they went ahead and "resecured" the cv boot clamps. The drivers side is still loose and the passenger side has the same black zip tie on it that I put on to keep grease from getting shot out! Dealer is in south bend, IN

Dcsleeper408 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top