1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CV boot coming off...grease everywhere

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Priddle, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Oct 9, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    Priddle

Priddle [OP] And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    Getting an alignment done now and mechanic shows me the passenger side CV boot is loose and grease has spit everywhere. I already had an appt with Toyota for an unrelated issue in 2 weeks but doubt I can get in sooner. Assuming I can get a new clamp, what's involved to do this myself? Grease I need etc?

Toyota will just tell me it happened when I had the lift put in. I don't want to leave it too long

Thanks

2. Oct 9, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I went round and round with this problem. You're supposed to use a moly high temp grease but I couldn't find it. I just pumped it up with about half a tube of Mobil 1. I can't remember the amount it's supposed to hold (9 oz maybe?) but I do remember it worked out to be about half a tube. Get one of those flexible tubes for the grease gun. It makes it way easier. Get some new clamps. I bought crappy repair clamps and the problem just kept re-occurring. Eventually I got some of the good clamps that require the 15ish dollar tool to install. That was about a year ago and I haven't had a single problem since.

3. Oct 9, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    fubar718

fubar718 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 double cab, TRD offroad
    You can just by a complete kit from toyota, comes with boot, 2 clamps and a packet of grease. if the boot is torn at any section you are going to have to remove the axle out of the car to get the new boot on.

4. Oct 9, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    That's a lot of work if its just slipping off. I would avoid it personally. However, you're correct that if the boot is torn, it just became a big messy job.

5. Oct 9, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    fubar718

fubar718 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 double cab, TRD offroad
    yeah removing the ball joint to get the axle out could suck. I would definitely go with an OEM kit. just for the fact it comes with everything you need, including the correct amount of grease. to much its going to leak out or tear the CV, to little will burn up the CV

Products Discussed in

To Top