1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CV's Vs U joints

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by rawdog, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Dec 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    rawdog

rawdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Kelowna B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade PKG DCSB
    I did some searching on here and can't find a real straight answer to this question.. also wasn't quite sure where to post this but suspension is my closest guess since we don't have a driveline section.

I have a small idea on why cv's are used instead of U Joints, but maybe you guys could clear this up for me.

I know that CV's can be used at higher angles more effectively than U joints.. my question is, why? and is one stronger than the other? Why don't we just use U joints for everything.. cheaper, easier to maintain, etc.

Whats the big difference here?

2. Dec 29, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    Not sure if you're looking for a highly technical answer or just some more basic information, but both can be easily found on the web.

This gives a good answer as to why we don't use U joints on IFS axles and says it better than I could:

http://www.midaslink.com/east/qcv002.htm

Either could be designed to be stronger than the other. Like you said, it's cheaper to build something with U-joints, especially for strength and when used at relatively small angles. You could also build a CV joint that's stronger than that U-joint, but that's all a moot point since the U joint can't operate at the angles we need. Imagine your front tire at full droop and turned fully in one direction, while transmitting torque. Not gonna happen with a U joint. Full turns under power are hard on straight axle rigs with U joints that don't have to deal with the up and down angles. That's why heavy duty axle replacements for them use CV joints too.

3. Dec 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    rawdog

rawdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Kelowna B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade PKG DCSB
    That link was actually super informative haha thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top