1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cyclone Pre-Filters

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aqu1us, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Sep 27, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Ive seen "cyclone" prefilter on grinders .....dusty applications , but we are talking briggs& stratton or honda small motors low to the ground and slow moving. Youll never need one unless you follow someone on a dusty road.....then that dust is lighter than the cyclone would spin out.

2. Sep 27, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    from what I've seen on other forums a decent amount of dirt and dust comes out of the rubber grommet.

http://www.yotatech.com/f117/cyclone-pre-filter-install-v6-05-4runner-136887/

3. Sep 28, 2010 at 6:10 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I dont doubt it , on the grommet , but im refering to the basic need of a cyclone . Discrepencies here n there are another issue. The cyclone i've seen is real good on heavier particles , but the "dust" still gets to the main filters (on the small motors mind you) and plugs them up too. As far as a full size one for a truck , i can see it on Agriculture gear going slow , but still have a hard time seeing it work on a toyota , my thought is what do the baja 1000 guys do?

[​IMG]
    I just thought id post the photo , i see a lot of truck ( commercial) filters like this ... as a main /only filter . This doesnt appear to be a true "cyclone" simply a cylindrical type filter holder , but if the housing holds a prefilter spinning instead , that would easily replace a standard filter in the same can.

4. Sep 28, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    I'm with you 100% on not NEEDING it but in my opinion the more filtration the better to an extent. That's why I never understand why guys cut out their second filter. I understand where you are coming from on it not being as effective for this application but as I said before every little bit could help. I have one on my mower like you said for smaller applications it works. I'm not sure how effective it is on that but I bet it is to some extent. If you look at most professional equipment it has filters up the wazoo. My mower has like 3 types of filter for the air to go through and I believe that's one way they get so much life out of the engines. That's a very good question about the Baja guys. I'm going to do some searching on that. My immediate thought on that is that they rebuild the engines every race and make them more for power than longevity.

There is a blade in there it's not just a cylinder with a tube. Check out the previous link I posted and this one.
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj-cruiser/178025-cyclone-pre-filter.html

5. Sep 29, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    yea, im curious too. If there is one thing you could overdo 300%(figuratively) and not even suffer for it or cost much more , it would be air filtration. They could put a lot more on at the factory. I remember the filter issues when Mt St helens blew up. Im sure the bean counters save money there,but for a mere $20 at the plant level they could give us a lot more more.

6. Sep 29, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    True that.

I'm having a hard time finding anything on google about what the race teams use. All that's coming up is k and n sponsorships and the like.

7. Sep 29, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    They probably use the K&N with the oil to catch all the dirt, and wash/replace it after every race. Filter might be covered by the end of the race, but it's not like they need to drive home or for several months after.

Not to mention they have time to clean and rebuild the engine before the next race. Assuming the truck even finishes the race. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top