1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Daily driver/weekend warrior setup

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Brad2011taco, May 15, 2021.

1. May 15, 2021 at 8:38 PM
    Brad2011taco

Brad2011taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Off-Road 4.0 V6
    LED Headlights with black oem housing, smoked 3rd brake light, interior lights upgraded to LED’s, boss head unit with apple car play, 15” NVX subwoofer, 265-75R16 Falcon Wildpeak at3, many many more upgrades to come
    I just recently upgraded from a lifted 3rd gen 4Runner and now have a 2011 Tacoma Off-Road bone stock. I daily drive this truck but also enjoy off-roading and camping Atleast once every 2-3 months.
    I’m looking for advice on lift kits, undercarriage armor, and accessories that will improve my highway ride but at the same time get me through the basic off road trail without damaging my daily. Not looking for fancy flashy bs I just need a setup that will get the job done and won’t break the bank.

2. May 15, 2021 at 8:52 PM
    pahaf

pahaf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 6112/5160 OME Meduim leaf pack JBA HD UCA 3* retard exhaust gear TRD Pro Sema rims 265/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W
    It all depends on your budget, but for me who is also like you. Daily drive the truck and off road once in a while……just do the basic.

I have bilstien 6112/5160 shocks that I got a killer deal in @$500
    Some nice tires, I got falken wildpeak at3 in 265 70 17
    And I got icon add a leaf.

it gets decent mileage (16-17 mpg) and off road I never ran into any issues. Just once in a while I will rub the mud flaps.

I was thinking about rock sliders and armor but it’s not needed for what I do, mostly fire roads and small rock crawling.

35D66F24-2386-4D9D-BB4F-7DAFFC63F533.jpg

3. May 16, 2021 at 4:58 AM
    Brad2011taco

Brad2011taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Off-Road 4.0 V6
    LED Headlights with black oem housing, smoked 3rd brake light, interior lights upgraded to LED’s, boss head unit with apple car play, 15” NVX subwoofer, 265-75R16 Falcon Wildpeak at3, many many more upgrades to come
    Awesome thanks for the info. Sweet rig!

pahaf likes this.
  4. May 16, 2021 at 6:01 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Aluminum skids are the way to go if you’re going to leave them on the truck all the time. If you dont mind taking them off, steel would be a more durable option

Rock sliders would also be one of the first things id do

Brad2011taco[OP] likes this.
  5. May 16, 2021 at 9:52 AM
    deanosaurus

deanosaurus Caveman

Member:
    Northeast Region
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR AC
    Generally speaking, armor, lifting, bigger tires, and other offroading stuff is diametrically opposed to efficient highway driving. The more weight you put on, the worse mileage you're going to get, period. When you lift and stiffen to counteract the sag of that weight, you're also going to be altering the handling and aerodynamics. They call it "go slow gear" for a reason.

That being said - a decent set of bolt on sliders is IMO the #1 thing to do. They immediately increase your recovery options (places to put a jack!) and they're relatively easy to flip if you end up wanting to get rid of them for whatever reason.

Aside from that, invest in reasonable recovery gear (start with a hitch mountable shackle and a quality snatch strap) and some nice storage bins, and keep an eye out for a deal on a topper of your preferred flavor.

Beyond sliders and some decent recovery gear? I would honestly recommend you drive the truck a bunch doing what you want to do and decide from there what YOU feel like it actually needs. Coming from a cousin platform you might have some ideas already, but why go nuts bolting stuff onto a weekend warrior that you'll never actually be glad you had?

6. May 16, 2021 at 4:35 PM
    ardrummer292

ardrummer292 500k or bust

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB V6 A/T 4x4 1D6
    Overbuilt daily driver
    Agree with @deanosaurus, and have a few thoughts of my own.

- AT tires are a poor choice for wet or snow-covered roads. Highway tires are the superior option, and will hold their own during light-duty offroad excursions. I like my Michelin Defenders quite a bit.
    - Tire size and weight is crucial to maintaining decent performance characteristics. The bigger and heavier your tires, the worse off you’ll be. Mine are “skinny 32s,” 255/75R17.
    - Agree that bolt-on sliders are a smart move.
    - Agree that aluminum is the best choice for skids if you only want them as insurance. I have aluminum Mobtown front and tranny skids on order. I did just recently get my TrailToys UHMW (plastic) gas tank skid installed for a bit of extra coverage.
    - A lift, aftermarket bumper, or roof rack will affect your vehicle aerodynamics, but the effect on handling and efficiency characteristics is almost negligible when compared to tire size and weight. I’m still regularly clocking 22+ mpg in my 3” front/2” rear lifted, ARB bumper equipped truck. The aforementioned 255/75R17 Michelin Defenders only weigh 38 lbs apiece, and are mounted on OEM TRD SEMA wheels at 24 lbs apiece; this helps my armored commuter get surprisingly decent gas mileage.

Brad2011taco[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top