1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dakar leaf: distance top leaf to under frame

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by martthewhite, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Apr 8, 2015 at 12:54 PM
    martthewhite

martthewhite [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Montréal, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR ACLB
    Sliders, SCS6 Wheels, OME full set-up, bump stops, Banks Exhaust, TRD Intake, TRD short shifter, Floortech mats and Best Top Canopy.
    Hi,

I'm going to install my OME lift kit with Dakar leaf. I will install the all-pro U blot flip kit and I was ordering the kit with the timbren.

I realized timbren made 2 design: first for 3 leaf pack(TORTUN 4L) and a second for the 4 leaf pack(TORTUN 4).
    Is some know which kit All-Pro is supplying ?

I contacted Timbren to know the variation between both design and I explained I will use with a 3'' lift kit. They came back by asking the distance between the top of the leaf spring and the bottom of the frame. Withthis information, they can provide you with a special order part number.

Can someone confirm this distance ? My lift is not yet installed to measure. Hopefully someone with the all-pro flip kit have this value (top of plate to under frame is preferred).

thanks Martin

2. Apr 8, 2015 at 2:16 PM
    Brjw

Brjw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    I will be installing the same bits this weekend, so I can't supply a measurement yet. I'm out of state so I can't see the part numbers.

However I've done the same research. The allpro kit doesn't ship with either one of those other options. The bump they supply is A515-55
    http://timbren.com/double-convolution/

The all pro kit is designed more as a bump, and to carry a little extra weight. They are 1000 lb rubber springs (check out the table on that website), and are 3.75" tall.
    The tortun4 kit comes with 3000lb springs (A00550-65) at the same height. On a stock truck they will engage earlier and be a lot firmer.

So the all pro kit is designed to all more suspension travel before engaging than the normal kit, and a softer spring.

As a temporary measure, you can buy timbren spacers in 1/2" and 1" increments to make the all pro timbrens work for you, depending on the load you want to carry and how you plan to use the truck. You can also order taller timbrens that are softer or harder, and have more "travel".

What are you planning to carry in the truck?

3. Apr 8, 2015 at 10:08 PM
    martthewhite

Member:
    Montréal, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR ACLB
    Sliders, SCS6 Wheels, OME full set-up, bump stops, Banks Exhaust, TRD Intake, TRD short shifter, Floortech mats and Best Top Canopy.
    I was loading a banshee in the bed and tow a 5x9 trailer with my wife 400ex. When fully packed with gear for 2 weeks of camping I was hitting the bumpstop very easily. I will also purchase a 18 to 21 feet camping trailer for the kids in a year or two.

I'm sure the Dakar won't bottom down as the toyota did and the timbren are maybe overkill with Dakar. The idea of the timbren is to damp the bumpstop impact I'm currently seeing on speed bumps. The cost to add the Timbren to the All-pro kit will cost less or the same if I was purchasing the wheeler superbump and importing to canada ... I'm living in Canada and everything shipped over the border cost way more and US/CAD is .78 at this time. Toyota Cochrane in Alberta is a All-Pro distributor in Canada with no state tax and gave a good price on the full kit.

I looked at the A515-55 spec and it way more inline with what I need. The rubber seem to be softer and could give less rebound as some mentionned on others post. The max bump load capacity is 2400 lbs each, so 4800 lbs on the axle after having bottomed the Drakar if I well understood. For a static weight only ... dynamic will handle way less. Max load to be apply on a deflection of 2.25''.

I sent an email to All-pro before you answered and the guy wasn't even knowing Timbren have more than one model for the tacoma ... he asked for my source and I pointed out the Timbren website. I hope a reply tomorrow.

At this time I don't think I will require shim, the OME shock and dakar leaf are designed to work together on a stock height bump stop. I'm going to install everything at once after I get my U bolt flip kit, I have a complete OME lift at home in the basement wating for me.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. Apr 8, 2015 at 10:46 PM
    Brjw

Brjw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Yeah those softer timbrens should work for you well then. The regular timbren kit would probably be overkill for what you're doing.

5. Apr 8, 2015 at 11:55 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    I use the TORTUN4L kit as my only suspension upgrade with my slide-in camper. You can get spacers for the Timbrens if you feel they are not engaging early enough. You will just need longer bolts. They are M10 coarse thread hex bolts. I have 2 x 3/8" spacers on each side so they will engage immediately so there is zero sag with my camper loaded.

6. Apr 9, 2015 at 10:23 AM
    martthewhite

Member:
    Montréal, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR ACLB
    Timbren confirmed the following this morning:

TORAPO contains rubber spring part number A00515-55P30 as well as other components to allow you to install this on the vehicle

TORTUN4L contains rubber spring part number A00515-65P30 as well as other components to allow you to install this on the vehicle

TORTUN4 contains rubber spring part number A00550-65P30 as well as other components to allow you to install this on the vehicle

7. Apr 9, 2015 at 3:17 PM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    That looks way sexy..I feel like I'm looking up a girls skirt, not that I ever have LOL . The fox shocks look great too.

8. Apr 11, 2015 at 10:31 PM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    Didn't see a shim for the differential? You using a carrier drop?

9. Apr 11, 2015 at 10:40 PM
    Brjw

Brjw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    8" from the top of the dakar leaf pack (the spring itself not accounting for any plates or brackets), to the center of the strike plate on the frame. That is with brand new dakars on a double cab long bed.

Here is the dakars with the all pro flip kit (drilled/tapped plate) with wheelers superbumps. I drilled the superbump brackets so they bolt on where the timbren bracket will. However I won't be surprised if these brackets ARE the same as the timbren bracket. If I knew for sure I would supply you with a measurement from the mount. I still don't have the timbrens because all pro was out when I ordered. They sent the U bolts and plate so I could put it together for now.

F9A85D49-974E-44E4-B273-FF49710DE685_b05c53024e81aafd968fc0b5d7603c7f5b8bd61d.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  10. Apr 15, 2015 at 7:29 PM
    martthewhite

Member:
    Montréal, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR ACLB
    For a bump stop application and by considering the rear axle GAWR of 3110 lbs, the pair of A515-55 rated at 4800 lbs is my best option. It’s already 1.5x more than what the truck can handle. The A515-65 are rated at 8000 lbs, bump load rating. Nominal load are 2000 and 3000 lbs respectively.

Timbren recommended the 515-65 ''Because of the dynamicforces involved, (Think of that pothole, or driving off a curb) youcan’t go wrong with the A515-65. Either one of these is fairly light.''

thanks for the measurement.

I'm going to flip the timbren to avoid freezing water during winter.

11. Aug 20, 2015 at 6:10 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Great thread. Lots of good information in here.

How did you know what length shocks to buy? Did you take measurements after installing the springs?

12. Aug 20, 2015 at 6:10 PM
    Brjw

Brjw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon

My Icons are reported to be 26.18" long. At least that is the way that icon measures them. Measurement isn't as simple as eye to eye length because the top mount is a stud mount, so it may vary some from different manufacturers. I had to use a jack to push down the OME springs the last 1/2" or so to fit the shocks in, to me that is perfect. I'm not concerned about pulling the shocks apart, even though it is a static measurement.

Products Discussed in

To Top