1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dakine Truck Pad

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by andrew8404, Mar 21, 2011.

1. May 23, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    jasclair

jasclair Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Bend oregon
    Current: BHLM, plasti dip badges/bumper, Satoshi homer taco style grille, custom TRD, pack rack Marshall fab, window tint,interior paint job, ome lift,wheels spacer, white light interior, retrofit headlights.
    I am torn on this topic...

I have heard that the pad does leave abrasion marks on the tailgate still as well as the rear bumper getting scratched and torn up due to the wheels. anyone have this problem?

I am usually the hauler and carry 4-5 bikes at a time and would be pissed to see scratch marks everywhere

2. May 23, 2014 at 3:59 PM
    magnew

magnew Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Tailgate gets all scratched up from the pad but rear bumper is fine. I never took my pad off to was off dust after shuttles. Maybe a bit more care and no scratches. Easiest way to haul bikes and worth the scratches IMHO

3. May 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    DeSean Thick

DeSean Thick TuRD TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Snowmass, CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    I don't have the dakine pad but I do carry my bikes in the same way using various different pads ie mexican blanket or gf's old yoga mat. The dakine product is a ripoff considering the entire purpose is a cushion between your bike and the tailgate. Use something cheap that can easily be tossed in the toolbox or inside the cab. I use two rachet straps to secure the downtubes of the bikes and the rear wheels to the sides of the bed. Wrap the straps around the rubes and wheels a couple times to prevent any shifting or tipping. This setup got me through some gnarly offroading in utah with only occasionally having to tighten the straps. Using the rachets, the pressure alone of the bike against the tailgate held whatever mat I had in place the entire time. So unless you need the dakine pad to match your pretty $3k bike, save yourself the $100

4. May 23, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    I don't know about that....

5. May 23, 2014 at 8:26 PM
    FARNORCAL

FARNORCAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma4x4 DC LB Silver TRD Sport
    SEE BUILD
    Yeah there's no way the dirt or mud doesnt creep up underneath the pad its bound to scratch the tailgate just give it time. Looks sick but not worth the headache I'd go with the mounts that you can buy and I'm sure it's cheaper like $30 from what I've found.

Sandeman likes this.
  6. May 23, 2014 at 8:51 PM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    I have the Thule version of that pad. It functions well for shuttling bikes back up to the trailhead. Easy peasey. For long drives, bed bars with fork mounts are sweet.

cragginshred likes this.
  7. May 23, 2014 at 9:08 PM
    tam

tam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tam
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    Reasons to steal my truck...
    Icon Ext. Travel C/O, TC UCA, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers, CF hood, Glass bedsides, Doug Thorley cat-back, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 265/75/16
    You could always use paint protection film on your tailgate.

8. May 23, 2014 at 9:33 PM
    jasclair

jasclair Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Bend oregon
    Current: BHLM, plasti dip badges/bumper, Satoshi homer taco style grille, custom TRD, pack rack Marshall fab, window tint,interior paint job, ome lift,wheels spacer, white light interior, retrofit headlights.
    the problem with the mounts is I have to have adapters for all of them since all the bikes i use have a thru axle

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  9. May 24, 2014 at 5:17 AM
    DeSean Thick

DeSean Thick TuRD TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Snowmass, CO
    Vehicle:
    I hate clamping the bike down with the fork mounts though. every vibration, bump, and lean is transferred from the truck to the bike's front dropouts and fork. I have had my bike wiggle loose from these while offroading. The Dakine style pad really is the best way to minimize damage to your truck and bikes. I still prefer a mexican blanket though...

10. May 24, 2014 at 8:57 AM
    DeSean Thick

DeSean Thick TuRD TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Snowmass, CO
    Vehicle:
    he's going to point to his sig, just fyi ;)

11. May 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB 4x4 TRD Off Road Previously '12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    The pad is great, I haven't had any problems with scratches in 2 years, just be careful when ur on a dirt bumpy road and who loads the bikes. Someone loaded a bike off the pad and it rubbed the paint off my tailgate from the fork. Like others said use paint protection film. The wheels do damage the plastic on my bumper but I could care less about that.

I shuttle bikes at least three times a week. It's the best way besides a 4 bike hitch mount but it makes the truck so long.

12. Jun 19, 2017 at 9:28 AM
    cragginshred

cragginshred Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don Anderson
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    What size DaKine for the 2017 TRD 4x4?

13. Jun 19, 2017 at 3:33 PM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB 4x4 TRD Off Road Previously '12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    probably the small. measure the width of the tailgate. The large one was covering my tailights or close to it if I remember correctly.

14. Jul 13, 2017 at 6:00 PM
    TRDSPORT1990

TRDSPORT1990 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    16' TRD Sport DCSB
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks Allpro AALs Allpro UCAs SCS sr8s 285/70/17 BF Goodrich ko2s
    Small dakine pad on my 16'

IMG_1135.jpg

15. Mar 11, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    I just got the Dakine for my 2011. Seems the handle and straps are located wrong.. kinda for a bigger truck or thicker tailgate.

I'll try loading it tomorrow and see how it does

Tac0Joe likes this.
  16. Mar 11, 2018 at 4:29 PM
    TOY4JMEBOOZE

TOY4JMEBOOZE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winchester, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Tahoe
    I recently got a thule tailgate pad (small) for my beach cruiser. Not a dirt bike guy. But it is padded and my bike does not move at all and it does not touch the bumper. I take it off when I am not going to use the bike. I considered fork mounts, but brushed that away as the purpose of the bike is to cruise and not have one more thing to do. My 2 cents.

17. Mar 12, 2018 at 10:15 PM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    I use a large dakine pad on my truck, I love it! Looks badass, I use a rachet strap to hold it down even more, fits everything from my downhill bike, to my slope style bike very well, Even with my canopy on, we got 5 bikes in!

18. Mar 12, 2018 at 10:16 PM
    20somethingwidataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    Here's the large with my dh bike and canopy

20171126_092941.jpg

19. Mar 12, 2018 at 10:18 PM
    20somethingwidataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    Oops, I do need the pretty dakine pad to match my 3k bikes

20. Mar 12, 2018 at 11:01 PM
    Glocker23

Glocker23 Drive fast take chances

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Debadged, Tonneau cover, Grillcraft MX grill, OKLED 20" light bar in grill, Aero AT2525 muffler

Products Discussed in

To Top