1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Damaged spark plug

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by calico, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Oct 19, 2016 at 5:15 PM
    calico

calico [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited
    Viper Alarm and Remote Start Prestigious Society mod Camera display relocated to headunit Weathertec floor mats, window deflectors, and mud flaps Toyota Bed mat Tailgate lock Undercover SE tonneau and Swing Cases (driver and passenger) Hi-lift install Fumoto Qwik Valve ImMrYo Mirror mod Salex console organizer
    WTF?!?!?! (Reposted from the DIY spark plug thread)

Decided to change out the plugs yesterday (at 55k and first replacement) and came across something I never would have expected. I did the passenger side first and then the driver's side (a PITA and, in fact, I had to remove a couple of other pieces beyond what the OP had suggested).

Anyhow, When I got to the last spark plug I noticed I was having difficulty seating the spark plug socket on the spark plug. I spent probably 10 minutes trying to get the socket on and finally accepted that it wasn't going on. I grabbed a flashlight and took a look and saw what I thought at first was plastic or styrofoam. I wondered what in hell it was doing there, and how it got there.

The more I thought about it the more I realized that styrofoam and plastic just didn't make sense. I then took my phone and was able to get some close up pics and it was then I realized that it was ceramic pieces. I took an air compressor and was able to blow all the pieces out and replace the final plug.

What in the world would cause something like this to happen? This is the first plug change. Has anyone else ever experienced such a thing and, is there the potential for damage?

2. Oct 19, 2016 at 5:28 PM
    RobertHyatt

RobertHyatt You just can't fix stupid...

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Birmingham AL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    Most common answer: failure to correctly (a) seat the spark plug socket and (b) not correctly holding the top of the wrench so that the extension shaft is DIRECTLY in the center of the plug hole so that no side-force is applied which can break the insulator easily. That is probably what happened here otherwise it would have been missing 100% of the time and running quite badly. This is one of those places where universal joints should never be used.

Yes, I have done this myself, although not on my tacoma. You can't snake the socket in and over the plug, you need a perfectly straight shot and then a careful pair of hands to hold the head of the ratchet centered while the other hand applies torque. In the very few cases I did this, the "crack" was distinctly felt through the wrench, with an "oh shit" immediately following.

3. Oct 19, 2016 at 7:21 PM
    justdoit

justdoit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    22' 4x4 AC TRD Off-Road
    Short trips in cold weather can crack them. Sometimes they just are junk from the factory, other times something or someone breaks them.

4. Oct 19, 2016 at 7:27 PM
    topcathr

topcathr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited
    you may have inadvertently broke it with the socket. It happens a lot.

5. Oct 19, 2016 at 7:36 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    In other words operator error. As stated if this had been broken for any time period you would have noticed a severe miss on that cylinder and would have thrown a code.

6. Oct 19, 2016 at 7:44 PM
    grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracey
    Saint Cloud, MN
    Vehicle:
    2005 Blue Tacoma DC TRD Offroad
    stock
    I would say it was cracked on install, ans it fell apart when the boot was removed. The boot would have kept it shielded.

7. Oct 20, 2016 at 12:52 AM
    calico

calico [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited
    Viper Alarm and Remote Start Prestigious Society mod Camera display relocated to headunit Weathertec floor mats, window deflectors, and mud flaps Toyota Bed mat Tailgate lock Undercover SE tonneau and Swing Cases (driver and passenger) Hi-lift install Fumoto Qwik Valve ImMrYo Mirror mod Salex console organizer
    Thanks for the replies, guys, but as I noted in my original post, this is the first time the plugs have been changed and, when I attempted to change this plug, I couldn't even get the socket over the plug. That's how I knew something was wrong. So, it's not as if I somehow damaged it while attempting to remove it since I could never get a socket over it to begin with.

8. Oct 20, 2016 at 12:56 PM
    tgear.shead

tgear.shead Well-Known Member

Member:
    If the socket came down on the plug off center, you could have simply cracked the insulator off of it at that moment. It happens, nothing to worry about. It doesn't make any difference if the plugs had ever been changed previously.

Products Discussed in

To Top